fbpx

Super Moon!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Super Moon!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Participant

No, it’s not the name of a new anime character. It is what is happening in the sky tomorrow night.

“Saturday night, if the full moon, rising in the East, strikes you as unusually large, you’ll be right. It will loom larger than usual. Though it’s hardly a scientific term, it will be what’s known as a “supermoon.”

If the weather is clear where you are, it should be a sight to see. It happens because — despite what our senses usually tell us — the moon does not orbit us in a perfect circle. It follows a slightly elliptical path every month. On Saturday night at 11:35 p.m. EDT, say astronomers, it will come within 221,802 miles of us — coincidentally about one minute before it’s at its fullest. Two weeks later, on the opposite side of its orbit, it will be about 252,000 miles away.

The result: When the moon is closest to Earth, it appears 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than when it’s farthest from us.”

Carolyn
      Participant

The way we’ve had storms at night of late I doubt I’d see anything . I saw the story on the internet . And the metor shower . Well it will be fun for sky watchers .

I heard about this! My brother is really big into astronomy and has some really nice telescopes that he’s pulling out tomorrow night for us to see it even better. I can’t wait!

Elena
        Participant

It’s snowing here so I won’t get to see it. ๐Ÿ™

snowing?? where are you from where it’s snowing? it was like 80 degrees where i live! i can’t imagine having snow so late in the year!

Puffpastryofdoom
          Participant

Boooo…. It started raining a little while ago and those darn clouds were in the way! -Did anyone else get lucky enough to see it tonight? ๐Ÿ™‚

littleironhorse
            Participant

After a completely cloudless day here, the sky got overcast at about 11:00 PM here… Oh well, better luck next time!

Carolyn
              Participant

Cloudy here . It was bright between the clouds . Very beautiful any way .

Elena
                Participant

snowing?? where are you from where it’s snowing? it was like 80 degrees where i live! i can’t imagine having snow so late in the year!

:bigsmile: Western Canada, Foothills of the Rocky Mountains. It’s completely normal to get snow at this time of year, its actually when we get some of our biggest dumps of snow because there is finally moisture in the air but its still not quite warm enough to just rain (though we get a lot of rain too). It never lasts too long though, the snow we got yesterday is gone this morning. You don’t put plants out until after May long weekend, since that’s when it’s supposed to stop freezing at night, though it’s almost guaranteed that it will rain or snow that weekend. I could really scare you and say that we’ve even had snow in July…. ๐Ÿ˜€

80 degrees? We won’t see that until mid July-ish and then every one wilts because its to hot! LOL

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.