fbpx

Suckers…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Suckers…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Azurielle
    Participant

That would be my husband and I…
      You ever notice how animals who are lost or abandoned seem to be attracted to the biggest suckers? Like do we have some sort of animal magnetism?
      Here’s my newest “rescue”. He’ll be staying with us until we can find a forever home for him. We’re pretty sure he was dumped at a neighbor’s house on purpose. The woman who used to live there told us people knew she liked cats, and would leave them on her property. Problem is she moved out a year ago andthe house has been empty since. Took me 3 days to catch this little guy. At about 8 weeks old, he was starving, and had worms by the time I caught him. Sigh…why do people have to be so cruel? But anyhow, he’s responding nicely to meds, and handling. Should only be a few more weeks to start looking for a home for him. My husband just sighs every time I find another one, and when i ask what else was I supposed to do, he just smiles and says “exactly what you did.” But ouch…rescuing is not cheap. And the other 6 kitties are not happy campers right now. Any other suckers? Who have you rescued?

Minnue
      Photobucket

Photobucket

My NC rescues

Noisy B (called so because he wouldn;t shut up for 2 days while in quarantine!)-dumped at a resteraunt. Has a new home!

Photobucket

The kittens (never named them)-were taken in after a week of hand feeding. They were ferals whose mother dissappeared when they were just 2 weeks or so. Three lived, and now have homes!

Photobucket
      became
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket

Valentine (rescued on Valentine’s day)-Dumped out of a car in front of our old apartment complex. We know this because when we found her, she was trying to get back into moving cars. She followed us home. Taken in by a no kill rescue.

Photobucket

Mr. Jinx-Found lazing outside our apartment, and just walked right in. Eventually found his original owners who did not want him back, and had simply put him outside, and did not feed him or let him back in. They were moving, you see and couldn;t take him with. (insert sarcastic tone). The little boy who loved him wanted him back, but the mother said we should keep him or give him to someone else if we wanted. He lives with us to this day!

Photobucket

Mika-Didn;t personally rescue her, but we adopted her from a local rescue after she was saved from a hoarding situation. She lived with 60 other siamese and other cats! Now a spoiled, “agressively happy” cat in my house.

Photobucket

Keeper of the Fledgings

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

Ah yes… a feeling I know very well <3 All your babies are so beautiful and it is very true that we are indeed suckers. ^_^

These are the 3 I rescued most recently. It's been about a year now.

When we had just caught them in the Home Depot Garden Center by baiting them with food.

Photobucket
        Photobucket
        Photobucket

Now..
        Faye
        Photobucket
        Haru
        Photobucket
        and Ajani
        Photobucket

a year before that we rescued Spike
        Photobucket
        Now
        Photobucket

and then a year before THAT we rescued Jet
        Photobucket
        Now
        Photobucket

plus a slew of other critters we have homed and rehomed over the years

Photobucket
        Photobucket
        Photobucket

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Guilty over here, Zinc showed up one day, gotta love me. He lived with us for 19 years before he passed away, I miss him still.

We rescued Scooter from a family that had to move away & they asked us to give him a home. Stalker we got just before we lost Zinc, he was an adorable little orange fuzzball, now a 13 lb giant fuzzball. (long haired) Right when we got Stalker our kids found a bunch of feral kittens & stole one, she is now a fat little mouser named Squeaker, she has never meowed, always little funny squeaks.

Her mother stayed around, had a second litter, then got hit by a car before the litter was weaned, we were able to rescue two of the kits, so Asher & Coal live here too. LOL. Currently there is a juvenile orange & white kitten who despite our 6 year old’s best efforts can’t catch yet, but he does come eat the food we leave out.

Karli won over Asher & Coal when they were small & caught them so we could vet them & all that, we call her the kitty whisperer, so if anyone can get the orange & white to trust, she will. He will lay in the yard about 10 feet from her & they will sit there watching each other, it’s kinda funny.

I’ll get pics together & post them in this post later.

Kyrin

Falcolf
        Participant

Oh gosh, this is like the thread for people who can’t stand adorableness! My family has rescued one cat and I’ve rescued two. I’ll show you all three.

Mamma Kitty was rescued by us in 1997. She was a yearling stray who had come to our back door to eat her compost because she was literally starving – the cause? KITTENS! She was preggers with EIGHT babies! We took her in and she lived very happily with us until she passed away at twelve years old in 2009. We believe that she had diabetes. πŸ™ I still really miss her. She was a lush! And an uber hunter – she caught a PHEASANT once!

We’re all very proud of our old warrior queen. πŸ™‚

Photobucket

This is Casper. He showed up in my backyard last year and he was so feral and terrified of people that I couldn’t even look at him let alone touch him. However, while he was afraid of humans he wasn’t afraid of other cats so with the help of my older kitty Copernicus, I managed to capture him. The two of them are still buddies and a year later, Casper loves the tar out of me and recently, every time I’ve picked him up, providing no one else is around, he starts PURRING! This is an absolute about face from how he used to behave! I’m SO proud of him!!!

Photobucket
          PhotobucketPhotobucket

The last cat I rescued is Copernicus. His rescue isn’t the same kind as most people’s cats (caught outside or SPCA) – I got him actually from a rather horrible pet store where I happened to be working. (I hated it but it was a job.) The reason I say he was rescued was because he and his litter of for were having a very bad reaction to the kibble that my manager insisted on feeding them – they were having bloody diahrea. We told him over and over again to change their food but the manager did nothing for over a month or more. Copernicus was one of the worst. Eventually, I couldn’t stand it anymore. I hunted down a new place to live, swiped my credit card (I just had to get him out of that situation) and immediately changed Copernicus’ diet. He still has a sensitive stomach but luckily, he’s got me, a human who understands his special needs (and who has a lot of feline nutritional expertise incidentally haha.) He’s now two years old and HUGE! His poop is normal.

I know some people might not call that a rescue, but I do. I would have been quite scared leaving him to be adopted to someone who would feed him something off the grocery shelf like whiskas. (I know most people probably do feed whiskas but it’s actually really not a good food no matter what the advertising says. It’s chock full of corn which cats can’t even digest it because they’re strict obligate carnivores. Some really hardy cats from like farm cat stock can survive on the cheap stuff sure, but it would probably lend super sensitive kitties like Copernicus an early death. His food bill is more because he eats higher quality stuff but he also eats less of it because it has more actual full out meat in it – no by-products.) Darn, I sound like a bloody pet food commercial – sorry about that – anyway, here’s the big fluffy guy!

Photobucket

He doesn’t really like being out on the leash because the great outdoors really spooks him. This was his first encounter with snow.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Agh! Sorry about the hugeness of the pictures. I’m not sure how to make them smaller. If you click them, you can see the full thing. πŸ™‚

I really, really love my kitties. (NEED some flap cats!) I have to be very careful about rescuing any more though (my limit is three) because I’m pretty poor. Three’s about all I can afford. Since I have two male orange tabbies, my next someday cat has to be female and not orange haha! And a lap cat. Copernicus and Casper both kinda fail at being dedicated lap kitties. They’d rather I just pet them.

Everyone’s cats are gorgeous btw!!!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Grayfire_artz
          Participant

I have this young black cat in the house at the moment. He started hanging out in my yard a few weeks ago becasue I have a lot of fixed females, needless to say with all those hormones he didn’t notice the difference, and he wasn’t faxed. Well he had this almost healed wound and as the 3 weeks went by the wound opened and got bigger past the point of healing on it’s own. He’s super friendly so catching him was easy. So I got him stitched up and fixed in one go….I wonder if his real owners will realize he’s missing or that something is missing when he returns home again.

fatalbeauty
            Participant

my deceased male adopted me after his mother disappeared a few days after we discovered him and the rest of the litter…I became new mommy and the center of his world…he loved to come find me whenever I was out in the yard…and liked to jump the fence and wait at a safe distance when he heard my car or truck(he would only do it for those vechiles)…he sadly disappeared one day when I was dealing with some things that left me inside a lot for about two weeks…

my current female was caught after her owners basically didn’t take care of the mother at all and the mother brought them to our side of the fence…I caught her and she just sat still in my arms giving me a “don’t eat me!” look for about a week until she warmed up to me…

my current male was owned by a family with a druggie mother, I don’t know how many kids and he ran around with I think it was 6-7 other cats they owned trying to find food…well the mother and kids were evicted, we found his sister, took her in and to the shelter, caught an adult male and took him to the shelter….we later found out through the office that the old owners had locked them all inside the apartment and left them there with no food or water…3-4 were caught by the office and 3 got out….last to be found was our boy, he was so sick and skinny that he weighed only about 7 pounds at 1-1/2 years old…we kept him for the night and turned him into the shelter….but I just couldn’t get him out of my head, I finally ended up crying in I think it was the mall to convince my husband to get him out…. we ended up fostering him first, he ended up having an eye ulcer(his sister was trying to get him to play in the shelter) tapeworms, cocadea(not sure of the spelling) and a UTI…he’s now been with us for nearly 4 years and is probably playing look out the window and ahhh ahhh ahhhing at birds right now….

4 things I'm looking for:
              1. Mother Meerkat
              2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
              3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
              4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Christine
              Participant

Photobucket

AAAAH! Minnue is a very pretty name; I would have been too tempted with “Crybaby”, that teardrop marking is making me just melt!!!

I don’t know if my Harley counts as a rescue, he came from a neighbor’s barn cat’s litter. He’s the City Cousin. His other siblings went on to become barn cats themselves though, and none of them survived past 3 years but him. πŸ™ If I didn’t live in an apartment, I’d have a much larger menagerie. Beautiful kitty cats everyone! I see lots of happy furry faces. πŸ™‚ <3

Rusti
                Participant

Dunno if you could really call him a rescue, because he just kind of showed up on the back patio with our older outdoor only cat, 13 (who also just kind of showed up – I had him neutered and got him a first set of vax anyway), but our most recent visitor to the food bowl is a little black kitten with stripes on his sides and legs and a big white patch on his belly.

He’s hung around for the past three weeks or so (pulled a wolf worm out of his nose today because I thought it was just a snot crusty, ARGH!) and if he’s around longer, I’ll do the same for him as we did for 13. Snip snip and some vax. Anybody want a kitten?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.