fbpx

Southern Alberta Floods

Home Forums Miscellany Community Southern Alberta Floods

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Elena
    Participant

This NEVER happens here. There are no records of it every being like this in this area

We’ve had sooooo much rain in the last couple of days that both rivers in the city and many other small rivers have burst their banks and flooded out downtown Calgary and most of the surrounding areas. There are whole communities and towns that have been evacuated.

I went in to work (I work downtown) and we were sent home at 1pm because of the flooding. I’m lucky, I live up on a hill so I won’t get flooded out but three of my co-workers had to evacuate their places last night because of the flooding.

And It’s still raining with rainfall warnings still in effect at the riverheads

I hope everyone else in Southern Alberta is safe and hopefully dry!

I don’t know how to post pictures but here’s the link to the local news
      http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/

Falcolf
      Participant

I’m glad you’re okay! So far all of my Alberta family seems to be fine (my branch of it is the only part that lives in BC instead) so I’m pretty grateful, but man, I’m praying hard for the other poor people. I hope everyone who got evacuated took their pets with them. 🙁

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Kim
        Blocked

I was going to post something about this last night as I live in Calgary and there’s been nothing but pictures and videos on the news the last two days of all the flooding. Luckily I live up north on a big hill away from the flooding so I haven’t seen any of it up here. I haven been wanting to drive downtown to see the flooding myself but they are telling people to stay off the roads and all our events for this weekend have been cancelled. A group us us were going to go hiking in Banff tomorrow and the Major Highway #1 has been closed as part of it was washed out. I have lived here my whole life and have never seen this much rain or flooding. Here is a website with pics and videos of it.

Pictures and videos of massive flooding in Canmore and southern Alberta

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Kathleen
          Participant

It’s horrible! I have family in black diamond. I hope they are okay. 🙁
            I am in Edmonton and we are watching the river here.
            I just want to cry for all those people. 🙁
            If you are near it stay safe.

Kim
            Blocked

It’s crazy. They said in Calgary 28 communities were evacuated and about 100,000 have been displaced and had to either stay at shelters they set up or go stay with friends and family. I hope they took their pets as well. We posted on kijiji that we could take in people’s cats or small pets and a lot of other people were posting that they could take dogs in, etc. until people could take them back. We didn’t get any calls though so I assume most people found places they could go and take their pets.

A dance I was going to go to tonight was cancelled so my mom and I drove towards downtown to go see the river and we couldn’t even go across Centre St. bridge because they closed it so we just parked at the top of this big hill/cliff that over looks the river and downtown that has paths that go for miles and it seemed like the whole north part of the city had decided to do the same thing. The streets were just filled with parked cars and there were probably a thousand people walking the paths overlooking the river taking pictures and videos of all the flooding below. It was so weird seeing the streets and communities below filled with water. The news crews had trucks up there too.

The worst of it though was in High River, Bragg Creek and Canmore where some beautiful houses were either completely flooded, badly damaged or swept away. I didn’t hear of Black Diamond or Okotoks being affected much though. Anyway I know it’s nothing compared to tornadoes and fires and hurricanes down in the US but they declared it a state of emergency here. And the worst part is that the whole Stampede grounds are flooded and we are supposed to be starting Stampede two weeks from now so I really hope it all dries up by then!

Bodine
              Participant

My friends,drop me a line when you can please.I am an old worry wort.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Bodine
                Participant

Geezum peeks!I do understand the worry and frustration of it all.We deal with this problem often.I hope everyone up there stays safe and you don’t lose your homes.Have to tell you that I think the biggest headache,besides praying you don’t lose your home, is the mud cleanups that follow these floods.BE CAREFUL!Snakes,other critters about you don’t normally see,all kinds of things stuck in the mud you don’t see on the surface,not to mention get your tetanus shots up to date.VERY important.Be safe.

Kim
                  Blocked

Things are getting better now. The reopened some roads and bridges but the river is still crazy high and it could take another few days for the water to drain in the flooded areas. I am lucky I live up away from it all and was able to get around okay today. Does anyone else live in Calgary or southern Alberta on here?

Falcolf
                    Participant

I just wanted to say that it stopped raining in BC yesterday or so, which should probably help you guys out! We’ve found that BC usually gets the weather Alberta gets a day before Alberta gets it. I’m so relieved to hear that things are getting better and that hopefully evacuated people saw to their animals! I’ve got family in Airdrie, they seem to all be fine.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Bodine
                      Participant

Good news!

Scathach
                        Participant

I hope everyone is safe and dry. Take care. I’ve been watching on the news and its just awful. My thoughts are with you.

Life is beautiful.

Kim
                          Blocked

Everyone started doing clean up today in the city now that the water has been drained from most areas. The city organized a volunteer opportunity for people to help in neighborhoods with the most damage and over 2500 people showed up to volunteer. They bused them out the the neighborhoods that had the worst flooding and people worked all day cleaning out basements, removing flooring, drywall, moldy furniture, boxes, etc.

Some people are still not able to move back to their homes until they are all cleaned up and fixed up so there are a lot still I shelters and staying with friends and relatives. I was surprised yesterday to find some streets and bridges still closed trying to go through downtown but they are scheduled to reopen soon. I think the transCanada highway heading west is still closed as it crumbled and washed away in parts so there’s no heading to the mountains for a while longer. The Stampede grounds are still flooded and the city has crews in there night and day trying to drain the water and repair buildings in time for Stampede which is supposed to start in 10 days! I hope they make it in time!

dragonmedley
                            Participant

I’m glad you’re all okay.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.