fbpx

So why do you like Windstones?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone So why do you like Windstones?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Katherine
    Participant

I was thinking about this the other day. Why are you so attracted to Windstones? Is there a sentimental value to them? Did a friend or family member introduce you to them? Or are you a lush for dragons, and when your eyes fell on that first statue, you knew you were in love?

Or maybe you received one as a gift, and after it sat on your shelf for a few years, you decided to look online to see where it had come from?

Just curious! πŸ˜›

Katherine
      Participant

Jennifer
        Keymaster

A number of reasons:

-I’m a huge fantasy nut. Love dragons and griffins.
          -I’m an artist and I can really appreciate that they are not only the nicest dragon and fantasy sculptures I’ve seen; I can really get into how they were created and the pure craftsmanship and skill it took to make them.
          -They’re, hands down, the highest quality fantasy collectible I know of
          -They’re made here, in the USA, which I appreciate because it supports the economy here when most companies are outsourcing to cheaper places such as China and India
          -I like the people that make them. They are real, generous, down to earth people (okay, I know the down to earth part is debatable, but I mean they aren’t snobs!) that we can all relate with and become friends with. πŸ™‚

Yes, I felt this way long before I became an employee, too! πŸ˜€

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

As you said I’m lush for dragons. I saw the original green mother and instantly fell in love. I visited the store back in the 80s and early 90s every week. Just to stand there and drool over the new things out. I couldn’t decide what to buy of them. I had a list 7 miles long and an allowence of $5.00 a week. So it took me awhile to actually buy something. I was heartbroken when the store went out of buisness.

I saw Windstones around every once and a while but, not often. The stores wouldn’t sell them for long.

But, I love the expessions on the faces. I loved the tails on the male, and the young. (That’s the kind of tail I always drew on my dragons back then so I was amazed that someone else did that too.) I also loved unicorns and griffens. They were exactly (almost) what I envisoned these things to be.

KoishiiKitty
          Participant

Nambroth wrote:

A number of reasons:

-I’m a huge fantasy nut. Love dragons and griffins.
            -I’m an artist and I can really appreciate that they are not only the nicest dragon and fantasy sculptures I’ve seen; I can really get into how they were created and the pure craftsmanship and skill it took to make them.
            -They’re, hands down, the highest quality fantasy collectible I know of

Ditto.

again you word things wonderfully.

I was always a dragon/griffin fan..but EXTREMLY critical of the quality of craftmenship in dragon sculpts. when I first saw a windstone dragon, I was in such awe! I wanted to pick it up..but I was in a store. unlike those half@22ed dragons you find in other stores, the quality that not only these are sculpted with..but reproduced and painted! well it has my deep respect as an artist.
            They also have the anatomy I would imagine a dragon to have, they look belivable. that was another reason. At frist, before I knew much about them, I had really wanted to study the anatomy used to help with my own dragons, they are just that good! I had no idea there was so manny of them at the time and my head realy spun when I found the windstone website and looked over the different ones in production.

Melody nails it in quality and craftmanship with her creations and it warms my heart every time I look at them.

I collect Mcfalene dragons too…and the designs are stikingly awesome…but the reproduction and paintjobs are poor and of low quality and that makes me frown. I would be much happier if he would just make a sketchbook I could thumb through.

Brian
            Participant

I have always loved dragons. I used to buy any semi cool looking dragon I saw. I saw my first Windstone Dragon 10 years ago and have not bought any other dragons since. Now I have 28 Windstone Dragons. πŸ™‚

I fell in love with the Black unicorns. It just wasn’t a color you saw unicorns in very often, and I just loved them. Especially the male. After that it was a natural segway into the dragons. They are just a high-quality piece of artwork, and such a wonder to those who love fantasy.

My Gramma bought my first one when I was 12 or 13…I’m 34, and still deeply in love with all of Melody’s works. I have close to 150 of them. I lost count, please forgive me. 😳 πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

What a neat question, though kind of obvious for me:
              They’re so purdy!!!. Besides I’m a complete fantasy lover and, seriously, who doesn’t LOVE dragons? No need to mention how artfully designed they are, how timeless and class; how the quality really shows. The color, the poses and the features all come to life for me and capture my attention every time I walk by the curio (they keep whispering in my ear that I need to bring more of their family home πŸ˜† [Clear sign of insanity]).
              Also, I do feel a connection to my mom through the dragons I own, she really upped my collection count every year for Christmas and such. At first it was a pegasus that was a gift, then a winged cat as a gift, then a emerald kinglet… but I didn’t get the dragons I “really” wanted until my mom found Ebay! and here came the dragons! πŸ˜†
              I love them, always have, always will.
              I really want a dragon tattoo, but haven’t decided on a design.

Purplecat
              Participant

I had a brochure I picked up in a mall when I was homeless and kept it for nearly 10 years before I got my first windstone. I loved the detail and the dragons that looked like they could easily come to life when you weren’t looking. I spent nearly thirty minutes looking at the display in a wicksnsticks at the Greenwood mall in Indianapolis. The pieces I spent the most time looking at were an emerald mother and hatching emperor. I loved them and wanted one fiercely. I’d never had anything like it before because my family disapproved of fantasy stuff and my like of it. I had been made fun of in my family for being a “daydreamer” with her “nose always stuck in a book”. My sketches were me “wasting time”…. I suppose those windstones in that store represented freedom to me. I’d just ran away and was so happy to not have to be afraid any more.

Photobucket
                Fuzzy Lore

dragonmedley
                Participant

I love dragons, and my man knew it. He gave me a young peacock for Christmas one year, then my brother gave me the hatching peacock for my birthday. I also had the flion (a gift) and the male kirin. I loved them. Then I started my Windstone craze 2 years ago!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                  I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Bob

I have LOVED dragons since at least highschool when I read Anne McAffrey’s books and had to write reports once a week for my reative writing class. It might have even been before then but that is my first rememberance. I was in SF shopping in July 1988 and found 2 of the most realistic and georgeous dragons I had EVER seen. I was on a motorcycle so I could only buy 1 so I bought the male and brought him home and my room mates instantly fellin live also. I told them I was going to go back the next week to get the famale. They loved them so much I was given permission to put him in the living room. I lost them a few months later when my house burned down but the passion has never died

purplecat wrote:

I suppose those windstones in that store represented freedom to me.

I think your story takes the sentiment cake. I bet you’re proud of how far you’ve gotten in your life, Windstones riding along side with you. Amazing. 8)

Bob

safyre_dream wrote:

purplecat wrote:

I suppose those windstones in that store represented freedom to me.

I think your story takes the sentiment cake. I bet you’re proud of how far you’ve gotten in your life, Windstones riding along side with you. Amazing. 8)

I thought the same thing

Pegasi1978
                      Participant

For me it’s the way the pieces look like they can get up and move at any moment. There’s so mych expression to the faces and in the eyes especially. Like how the curled dragon seems to be saying “Mine!” about the globe he’s holding or how the mother figures (all of them) seem to have that smile that mothers have for their children.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.