So I had a BIG surprise today!

Home Forums Miscellany Community So I had a BIG surprise today!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Bodine
    Participant

Much congrats!!!!! I have always driven a stick and I love it! It’s fun and makes you pay closer attention when driving.Have fun and drive safely.Your Bluebell is a cutie πŸ™‚

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
      Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

StormDancer
      Participant

Congratulations!
        I have always had a stick shift, it’s even what I learned to drive on. You will soon get the hang of it and it will be second nature.
        Have fun!

Looking for:
        "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

dragonmedley
        Participant

Congratulations!!! What a gorgeous first car πŸ™‚

I don’t know how to drive automatic – hate it, in fact. Manual is a lot of fun, it also means you control your speed a lot better. 5-speed or 6-speed?

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Falcolf
          Participant

Thanks guys! πŸ˜€ It’s a five speed, seems pretty simple though I’m sure I’ll mess up a few times before I get it. My dad was showing me on the test drive and it really doesn’t seem difficult at all. πŸ˜€ Apparently when my one brother heard last night he said “She’s not going to learn to drive stick!” WELL, that’s just a cry of WAR! It’s going to be painful waiting until Sunday to learn. I really can’t wait to get in the driver’s seat! πŸ˜€

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

GardenNinja
            Participant

Thanks guys! πŸ˜€ It’s a five speed, seems pretty simple though I’m sure I’ll mess up a few times before I get it. My dad was showing me on the test drive and it really doesn’t seem difficult at all. πŸ˜€ Apparently when my one brother heard last night he said “She’s not going to learn to drive stick!” WELL, that’s just a cry of WAR! It’s going to be painful waiting until Sunday to learn. I really can’t wait to get in the driver’s seat! πŸ˜€

Hahaha! When I learned to drive oh so many years ago, my parents had a stick-shift VW camper with transmission problems. It was quite up in years, and very persnickity. It wouldn’t go into first gear unless you were at a dead stop, and half the time, it wouldn’t go into second gear. It usually took several tries to get it into second. I think I was still on my learner’s permit the time I had to go up a long uphill highway off-ramp from a stop…. I was at the back of a line of cars waiting from the light to change. As I got close to the top of the ramp, I tried to avoid shifting into second, but the engine was just SCREAMING. So I tried to shift… several times… slowing down significantly while it was out of gear… then I was in the middle of the intersection, without enough momentum to get through, when the light started to change. I slammed on the brakes to get it back into first and get out of the intersection.

I thought my mom was going to have a heart attack.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

etruscan
              Participant

Hahaha! When I learned to drive oh so many years ago, my parents had a stick-shift VW camper with transmission problems. It was quite up in years, and very persnickity. It wouldn’t go into first gear unless you were at a dead stop, and half the time, it wouldn’t go into second gear. It usually took several tries to get it into second. I think I was still on my learner’s permit the time I had to go up a long uphill highway off-ramp from a stop…. I was at the back of a line of cars waiting from the light to change. As I got close to the top of the ramp, I tried to avoid shifting into second, but the engine was just SCREAMING. So I tried to shift… several times… slowing down significantly while it was out of gear… then I was in the middle of the intersection, without enough momentum to get through, when the light started to change. I slammed on the brakes to get it back into first and get out of the intersection.

I thought my mom was going to have a heart attack.

Ha – that sounds something like the car I learned on (big, heavy, and underpowered). Little cars like Falcolf’s are a lot more fun to drive. πŸ˜€

Kiya
                Participant

Congrats on the car! πŸ™‚ We have the same model and color (though probably much older) and it’s a very solid, reliable car. My husband uses it for commuting. We’ve had ours for, um, I guess 7ish years now and over 100K miles with no major issues. The Yaris is a nice little car. πŸ™‚ My oldest son will probably inherit ours in a few years.

Rusti
                  Participant

Yup, you’ll get the hang of it so well that the next time you get in an automatic you’ll stomp the floorboards looking for the clutch when you go to start the car or stop. I drove a little red truck that was a standard and my Mustang is also a standard. I reckon the next will be an automatic, but it sure is fun to drive a stick!

Falcolf
                    Participant

I’m starting to encounter the ghost clutch! Yesterday I had to drive my dad’s automatic van and I kept looking for the clutch with my left foot – it felt WRONG not using it. Haven’t had issues with the shifter yet between vehicles but I’m sure that’ll come soon too. Also my dad’s van felt so sluggish and unresponsive compared to my car, I can’t believe the difference. My car is so incredibly zippy in comparison and I’m finally starting to adjust to its better turning radius. I really didn’t like driving my dad’s van. I have to drive it again next Monday because my parents are making me (I’m going to a shindig) and I just feel safer in my own vehicle. Hopefully it’s the last time I have to drive the van, at least for a while! My car is so much better!!

When’s ROAD TRIP Time?! πŸ˜€

Summer 2016! I’m going to do some practice 1-3 hour trips in the mean time until then, but I’m definitely going to Alberta next year. I gotta see my remaining grandma and grandpa at least one more time while they’re still around. My Texan buddy and I have decided to do an awesome Pacific Northwest roadtrip in 2017 – I’m going to pick her up at SEATAC and then we’re going to cruise around. πŸ˜€ (At least, that’s the plan so far! I’ve told her that she can be my DJ and navigator haha. She says she can do driving but I’m preeeetty sure her mom’s car is automatic so I dunno about that. XD I told her that my passenger seat is REALLY comfy haha!)

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

WolfenMachine
                      Participant

CONGRATS!! That’s so exciting! I’m so glad you got a car! And just in time-for the cold weather. πŸ˜€ SO exciting!

Rusti
                        Participant

Yup, you’ll get the hang of it so well that the next time you get in an automatic you’ll stomp the floorboards looking for the clutch when you go to start the car or stop.

I have done this so many times. It’s also fun to reach to shift when there is nothing to grab on to. “Yes, I was totally reaching for the radio there…not thin air”. I am also amazed by how many people here drive manual cars.

I did it in front of a sales person test driving a Tacoma. Somehow I managed not to take the truck out of gear (the Tacoma gearshift is in the same place a manual transmission’s is), but did hammer my foot on the floor looking for that non-existent pedal.

phantomess
                          Participant

Congrats on the car AND on learning to drive stick! That’s so great. It’s a fading skill! (And not that many new cars even come in manual!) I was lucky enough to learn it early since one of my parents’ cars was stick, and I really wanted to learn since I’m a little bit of a car enthusiast. Like you, I found it frustrating at first- I had a few stick-driving lessons with my mom in a residential neighborhood, and I killed it so many times until I got the hang of getting the revs to the right level before letting the clutch out. Venturing onto busier streets was a bit nerve-wracking because people honked at me if I killed it when it was time to go at an intersection. But once I got good at it, it was so fun! I now own the car I learned to drive stick in; even though Hondas aren’t my style, this one is sentimental to me, and my parents offered to give it to me for free since they were gonna donate it, so hey! It’s a good gas saver for me! πŸ™‚

Anyway (sorry!), it’s so great that your dad helped you buy the car and that you got one you like so much. πŸ˜€

Formerly had the Batman & Joker avatar!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.