fbpx

Simple Easy Veggie Pita Wraps!

Home Forums Miscellany Food Simple Easy Veggie Pita Wraps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kim
    Blocked

I have been meaning to post more easy recipes so thought I would do another one now that’s great for lunch or a light dinner. When I went vegan a while back I found lots of creative ways to make healthy food without much meat or cheese, but using veggies, beans, peas and other things for protein. (I am about half vegan in my diet now although I don’t consume dairy but still eat bits of lean meat and fish.) So one thing we used to make all the time were veggie wraps. If you think in terms of Pita Pit or Extreme Pita (if those franchises are in the U.S.), these are the kinds of wraps we used to make. We would use pitas a lot but you can use wraps too.

Ingredients:

Package of whole wheat pita bread or wraps
      Hummus
      Guacamole or Avocado
      Romaine Lettuce or Spring Mix
      Spinach
      Cilantro
      Tomatoes
      Bean Sprouts
      Carrot
      Cucumber
      Red or Green Pepper
      Extra Virgin Olive Oil
      Balsamic Vinegar or Rice Vinegar
      Sea Salt
      Black Pepper

Other Options:

Salsa
      Kale
      Raw Onion
      Rice
      Beans
      Olives
      Pineapple
      Pickles
      Meat
      Cheese
      Salad Dressing
      Nutritional Yeast
      Herbs or Spices

*Now if you don’t have wraps or pitas, you can just make this as a salad or use collard greens to wrap it up but to me the wrap is more filling because you get some carbs with the wrap or pita and the hummus and guacamole give you protein.

1. Wash and slice up your veggies. Break lettuce up.

2. Take a wrap and smear half of one side with hummus or if using a pita, open the pita, peel one side halfway down and smear half of the inside with hummus. (Spread along the edges too to help the wrap or pita stick together when rolled up.)

3. If using guacamole, smear the other half of the wrap or pita with guacamole or if using avocado, slice the avocado in half around the pit, pull a part, remove pit and scoop out avocado with a spoon and spread onto wrap or pita.

4. Fill wrap or pita with all the veggies. (If using rice or beans add those first.)

5. Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil and vinegar over all the veggies and sprinkle with salt and pepper. (You can use salad dressing or salsa for extra kick instead of the oil and vinegar.) Sprinkle with spices or other herbs if you wish or nutritional yeast.

6. Roll the wrap or pita up and the hummus on the edges should keep it stuck together so it doesn’t unroll.

7. Eat and enjoy! Serve with soup on the side if you wish!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Jennifer
      Keymaster

For those like me that can’t eat the wheat of the wraps, you can also do this but wrap it up in a leaf of butter lettuce or a similar lettuce, to keep it as finger food. ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Kim
        Blocked

Good idea! Another thing you can use for a wrap is a collard leaf as they are very sturdy and very good for you. Or if you can find wraps that are gluten free or made of something other than wheat that can work too. Or you can make it as a salad which is still very good!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Good idea! Another thing you can use for a wrap is a collard leaf as they are very sturdy and very good for you. Or if you can find wraps that are gluten free or made of something other than wheat that can work too. Or you can make it as a salad which is still very good!

I’ve kicked most grains out of my diet, so lettuce leaves work really well for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

My friend also slices bell peppers in half and uses them as ‘buns’… you can fill them with quite a bit! They hold a lot of food. Bell peppers are the one veggie I cannot stand so I pass on them but if other people here like them it’s a great alternative!

Another alternative that I personally really like is to wrap up all of my ‘sandwich’ contents into a nori wrapper and eat it as a wrap that way. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s best fresh, though. It can get sort of soggy if it sits too long.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.