fbpx

Selling PYOs

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Selling PYOs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

I was just talking to Aky about painting and reselling PYOs. She said you said somewhere that you don’t really endorse the selling of painted PYOs? I had so much fun with the first one I want to order half a dozen more, but I don’t have the room for all of them.
      Since Mel’s out of town for a while, maybe the other forum member can clear me up on this, too. Either way I’d like to know soon, because the best time to sell these things is before Christmas.
      Ah yes – other question for the other forum members: If I sold PYOs on E-Bay Airmail shipping would be about $40. How scary is that? I assume very – another damper to getting more PYOs.

Maria
      Participant

I don’t think they have any problems with you selling a PYO when you properly credit the sculpture to Melody and the painting to yourself. Just don’t try to sell a PYO with a Windstone color scheme or it could be considered infringement.

Patricia
        Participant

I know they discourage selling repainted windstone pieces but I’ve heard nothing about them discouraging the selling of PYOs.

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

Maria
          Participant

Sounding good… What about those $40 shipping?

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Sounding good… What about those $40 shipping?

It depends on how good the paint work is to a certain person- for horses I sent my horse statue to Australia and it cost me $40 but the artist was THE artist I wanted. Some may find the $40 steep.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Ah yes – other question for the other forum members: If I sold PYOs on E-Bay Airmail shipping would be about $40. How scary is that? I assume very – another damper to getting more PYOs.

I wonder if there are Windstone fans in Switzerland who frequent Ebay? Then you wouldn’t need to worry about the high shipping fees…which I think might be intimidating for buyers overseas. Though as Cheryl mentioned, I would pay the high shipping fees if it was an artist/piece that I really liked…

Skigod377
            Participant

Yes, If I really had to have it, I would not think about shipping. $40 is kinda high, though. Make sure you dont overcharge. Buyers can get pretty mad. πŸ˜†

Jennifer
              Keymaster

As far as I know (and I’m not an exprert!) it’s okay to resell PYOs as long as you don’t copy or get really close to a production color or color scheme, and you don’t make it your profession/business. By business I mean the sort of person that sells them so frequently as to make their income off of Windstone- this is considered retailing the pieces I believe.
                Not that it’s a problem though since there are still limited quantities of PYOs! πŸ˜€
                You are also not allowed to misrepresent the piece or claim rights to it. I doubt anyone here would do that.

Basically this means if you give credit that the sculpture is a Windstone Edition sculpted by Melody Pena, that it’s a PYO (not a production piece), you don’t copy an existing color scheme, and you aren’t selling dozens and dozens… you are okay! πŸ˜€

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

WolfenMachine
                Participant

What about if you paint a PYO with a Windstone color scheme and trade it to another board member for another Windstone piece? No money is being made/exchanged for the painted statue, and we all know what is real Windstone.

dragonmedley
                  Participant

I have kind of the same question. A forum member asked for a commission on a PYO dragon, and wants the same as my silver PYO dragon – with a few differences. Is my silver too close the Silver Melody did to do this? I know that if it’s for myself only, it’s not a problem. I’m just not sure for the commission.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

Those I’m not sure of. Those are the kinds of things John would have to answer, I think. If you can wait a few more days for him to return home I’m sure he’d be glad to help you out. His email is John ;AT; windstoneeditions.com

That’s a grey area that hasn’t really come up yet as far as I know. If there’s a chance the item will ever see a market (like eBay down the road?) it could cause a problem that way perhaps.

dragonmedley, I don’t think your silver dragon is in violation. Our friendly mods really can’t let anything that might infringe into the Official Galleries (though as a disclaimer they can miss stuff sometimes, we all make mistakes) and since your silver dragon is there then you should be okay, but to be safe you should probably check with John since he’s the Authority on this; especially since you are doing one for money. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Maria
                      Participant

I wouldn’t want to copy any Windstone colors. I don’t do copies anyway – all purely original. πŸ™‚
                        I’d have to sell the PYOs over ebay.com instead of ebay.ch – that’s what I asked Aky about. There’s really no market for fantasy here in Switzerland – or Europe. She’d know; she sells almost all her stuff to the States. As for shipping, a 3kg Priority Airmail box costs 55.- going from here to the U.S. Converted that makes about $40. I can’t help the price – I’m not trying to overcharge on shipping.
                        I think I’ll order a few more PYOs and put one up on ebay.com, just to see what happens. If it works out, I think I’ll cycle my PYOs – paint one and sell the last one I painted, freeing up space. So I’d only have a couple PYOs at a time, but always new colors.
                        Might even sell Pliny if I like Cerberus (next paint scheme with red eyes) better. Nirvana, if you’re till interested, he might be up for grabs soon.

NirvanaCat13
                        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I wouldn’t want to copy any Windstone colors. I don’t do copies anyway – all purely original. πŸ™‚
                          I’d have to sell the PYOs over ebay.com instead of ebay.ch – that’s what I asked Aky about. There’s really no market for fantasy here in Switzerland – or Europe. She’d know; she sells almost all her stuff to the States. As for shipping, a 3kg Priority Airmail box costs 55.- going from here to the U.S. Converted that makes about $40. I can’t help the price – I’m not trying to overcharge on shipping.
                          I think I’ll order a few more PYOs and put one up on ebay.com, just to see what happens. If it works out, I think I’ll cycle my PYOs – paint one and sell the last one I painted, freeing up space. So I’d only have a couple PYOs at a time, but always new colors.
                          Might even sell Pliny if I like Cerberus (next paint scheme with red eyes) better. Nirvana, if you’re till interested, he might be up for grabs soon.

😯

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

That’s the best way to be! You’ll only grow as an artist that way. πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.