Selling Comissions from others-your thoughts?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Selling Comissions from others-your thoughts?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    WolfenMachine
    Participant

So here’s my dilemma…I have a piece of art I commissioned years ago. I still love it, but I’m in need of some money and my Windstones aren’t selling. I am tempted to sell it but at the same time, I feel guilty because someone made it specially for me. It wasn’t a gift, don’t get me wrong. Granted, I don’t know if I’d be able to sell it, but I owe some money to someone and I really want to get them paid because I know they need it too.
      What do you think? Is it wrong to sell commissions or do you think it’s okay?

Bullsquid
      Participant

You commissioned it, you paid for it, you own it. As far as I’m concerned, it is yours to do with as you will. You don’t have any moral obligation to keep a commissioned piece of art forever. You might miss having artwork that you have such a personal connection to, but ultimately it is your property to keep or sell as you see fit.

Prezaurian
        Participant

If it was a gift, I’d feel a little guilty if it were me (pack rat that I am, I get more sentimental the longer I own something). But a commission? I think it’s perfectly fine for you to sell it if you want to. It’s yours, bought and paid for. No harm, no foul in selling in my opinion.

Ela_Hara
          Participant

Yes, like a similar post on selling PYO Swaps pieces – it’s your item. You can do with it as you see fit in my opinion.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
            Zeppard Adult Poads
            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

WolfenMachine
            Participant

If it was a gift, I’d feel a little guilty if it were me (pack rat that I am, I get more sentimental the longer I own something). But a commission? I think it’s perfectly fine for you to sell it if you want to. It’s yours, bought and paid for. No harm, no foul in selling in my opinion.

I’m like this too! And this is a beautiful piece but…I’m going through moments lately where I’m like “this is just stuff…”
              My new year’s resolution was to spend less money on stuff and more money on experiences; concerts, travel, spending time with friends I never see. So if I could sell this item to make the final payment to the other artist, it would be ideal for me. Also…the piece I am thinking of selling is done by a wonderful artist here so I don’t want to hurt her feelings.

Thank you all for the replies!

Kim
              Blocked

Yeah I would treat a commission like any piece of art you would buy. If you want to sell it, I am sure there are other people who would appreciate it just as much as you. Even with grab bags I have managed to get that weren’t commissions, I worked so hard to get some that it crosses my mind it would be hard to sell some if I had to. But at the same time if you need money, you need money so sometimes special things need to find new homes.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Landipan
                Participant

I believe it’s fine, if I did a commission for someone and they later on wanted to sell it for whatever reason I’d have no problem with it. Spread the joy around as they say!

*Formerly meowmix101
                  Not currently open for PYO commissions.

StormDancer
                  Participant

I agree with everyone else. Once you own the piece, for whatever reason, it is yours to do with as you want.

Looking for:
                    "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Prezaurian
                    Participant

I’m like this too! And this is a beautiful piece but…I’m going through moments lately where I’m like “this is just stuff…”
                      My new year’s resolution was to spend less money on stuff and more money on experiences; concerts, travel, spending time with friends I never see. So if I could sell this item to make the final payment to the other artist, it would be ideal for me. Also…the piece I am thinking of selling is done by a wonderful artist here so I don’t want to hurt her feelings.

Thank you all for the replies!

Once in awhile I start looking around my home and start thinking, “What do I need all this c*** for?” That’s when I start brutally going through dvds and books. But typically that’s reserved for when I start running out of space.

And you’re right, sometimes the experiences are worth way more than stuff. I think that’s a great New Years resolution! 😀 Good luck on selling that commission piece!

Ela_Hara
                      Participant

I’ve also been re-thinking my *Stuff* since I’m now beginning to have space issues… so a few of my items will be going as well to make room for a more focused collection that I truly Love. 🙂
                        Good Luck with your efforts!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                        Zeppard Adult Poads
                        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

pipsxlch
                        Participant

On a similar theme… what about selling a gift? My brother-in-law just brought over a birthday gift for me, and he tried real hard… The dragon is a flea market type with multiple heads and I can’t abide multiple heads, they creep me out. So I don’t have much guilt about regifting or dumping that at a thrift store. He brought over a couple big lovely phalaenopsis orchids too, knowing I grow orchids. I don’t grow phals though, don’t really even have the right conditions without working hard at it. I am thinking of putting the phals on Craigslist (phals are actually the orchids most people find easiest) and using the money towards buying one I’d like better. There are a couple at online nurseries I’d love, but I can’t afford to buy myself something just because I’d like it. So would it be wrong to sell the phals he tried so hard on, just to get myself something I’d like?

Melissa
                          Participant

Well, there’s a few things to look at.

In a nutshell, once someone owns an object, they have legal rights over it, and are the most likely to interact with it on a daily basis. How the object influences them (for good or bad), is more important than what other people think they should do with the object. (obviously this goes for common objects, and not things of historical, cultural or scientific value).

What this means, is that great Aunt So-and-so has no stinking right to give someone a hideous punch bowl without asking, and getting upset if it’s not on display. But it would be nice for the recipient who rehomes it to offer it to her first with some sweet lie about not having the space, or offering it to other family members who might actually like it, before donating (or burying) it.

On the other hand, I took a commission once for someone who micromanaged it, gave the critter I was making a cutsey name, cooed over how it would be a family heirloom, and shortly after receiving it, resold it. I got paid, they weren’t mean, they were fully in their legal right, and I think they even meant well, but boy, did I feel emotionally manipulated! As lessons go, I got off lightly.

Now, a little older, marginally wiser, and with enough sense to mostly avoid other people’s er… stories, I’d hate to have someone hold onto a piece I made for fear of hurting my feelings.

It’s pretty much the same for gifts in my opinion.

Pipsxlch, IMO, you’re in the right. Also, rehoming living things that wouldn’t do well, in order to get one that’ll do well, makes sense.

However… could you keep one of the pots they’re in to keep the new plant in, and then next time you see him, thank him for making it possible to get the rare plant you’ve been dreaming of? (as well as giving some novices their start) Or asking him beforehand. Or just doing it and letting your sister know, in case he notices and asks her instead of you. Plenty of ways to let him know the thought’s appreciated.

Good heavens, this was long! Sorry.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.