Seams on PYO Orientals

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Seams on PYO Orientals

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mika
    Participant

I’ve noticed that for the March batch of PYO Orientals, the areas where the seam is (belly scales and fur) have been really bad and needed sanding to smooth out or resculpt.
      This was the case with two Orientals for me and they required a couple hours of work to fix.

I wanted to bring this up in case other people also have Orientals with seam issues.

Kujacker
      Participant

Hmm. Makes me a little nervous. I have 3 or 4 orientals that I have yet to take out of their boxes. I also have a few other pyos that are still in the unopened boxes they were shipped in.
        Just the other day I finally opened one, a small dragon that I purchased in July last year, and as I was painting him… found out one of his toes wasn’t casted correctly. Like a bubble got in. Being almost a year old and already slightly painted, I didn’t email windstone about it. I was hoping he was a one off thing, but now you’re having issues with other pyos. Hmm.

Mika
        Participant

If the Orientals are relatively recent it would be good to check them and see. Consistent issues with the casting could mean a bad mold.

I consider bubbles to be a side effect of casting. Sucks to get stuck having to patch one but it’s a normal thing that happens.

Kujacker
          Participant

No, none of them are particularly recent. The reason this gets to me is that I have painted more pyos than I could possibly count in the last 15 years. I have never had a casting defect in one. And I only have one defect on a production piece. But now, I have a defect in a small dragon and you in multiple orientals. This makes me wonder if there is an issue with the current way of casting.

fatalbeauty
            Participant

made me go look at mine but it is from the September 2021 batch which didn’t seem to have any rough spots…..and I really should get around to painting him soon…..

4 things I'm looking for:
              1. Mother Meerkat
              2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
              3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
              4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Mika
              Participant

To the best of my memory I’ve had a small dragon with an air bubble, another small dragon with a miscast toe, an oriental with some air bubbles, and a unicorn with a bit of a missing ear, though for the last one I don’t remember if it was chipped off or miscast.

I checked my last oriental, again a March batch, and the belly seam was much better (not perfect and I could round it out a bit if I really wanted to), but some of the underbelly scales on the tail need work and the fur’s messed up on its upraised arm. The fur at the elbow looks like playdough does after you slam it on a flat surface. At least that bit can be fixed easy enough with some carving, but it’s an odd spot to get that kind of damage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.