fbpx

Sam the Eagle (or WOW griff) and a silver Ki-rin

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Sam the Eagle (or WOW griff) and a silver Ki-rin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Arlla
    Participant

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
      -J R R Tolkien

Arlla
      Participant

I finished these two a bit ago but was too lazy to get the pictures together until now. For some reason my photobucket site no longer allows me to post actual pictures from it, so I have to post links instead – sorry!

Here’s the bald eagle/lion griff – as simple as this color pattern is, I had to go and make it super hard for myself. So there are about 6 separate layers of color on each feather. (except for the white parts, which only have about 3) I did this to get depth and richness of color…I don’t know if it was worth it, but it did work! ;P Sorry about the light parts being blown out…I’m not a good enough photographer to compensate for the bright white bits in the bright sun! The white feathers do have some color layering on them though – they have yellowing tips and a light antiquing.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/arlla/Windstone%20Sculptures/paint-your-owns/IMG_1538.jpg?t=1164405110

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/arlla/Windstone%20Sculptures/paint-your-owns/IMG_1539.jpg?t=1164405218

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/arlla/Windstone%20Sculptures/paint-your-owns/IMG_1543.jpg?t=1164405152

Here’s the ki-rin – there was discussion of “koirins” (tm Vantid??) in other threads. I’ve wanted to do a koi ki-rin for a while, too…Drag0nfeathers did a BEAUTIFUL one (it’s up in her gallery) similar to what I had in mind, so I did a kirin based on another of my koi that I like very much instead. He’s a silver Gin Rin (I think that’s what it’s called – with the shiney scales) and he looks like he’s wearing armour. This ki-rin may not look like a koi, but that’s what he’s inspired from!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/arlla/Windstone%20Sculptures/paint-your-owns/IMG_1533.jpg?t=1164405002

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/arlla/Windstone%20Sculptures/paint-your-owns/IMG_1529.jpg?t=1164405053

-J R R Tolkien

ladybrooklyn
        Participant

LOVE the Ki-Rin!!! Gorgeous color!!! πŸ˜€

And the Eagle Gryphon… very nice! πŸ˜€ I think the lion half might be a bit stark… but it looks good with the white head and redish upper body. πŸ˜€

VERYnice work! πŸ˜€

Arlla
          Participant

ladybrooklyn wrote:

LOVE the Ki-Rin!!! Gorgeous color!!! πŸ˜€

And the Eagle Gryphon… very nice! πŸ˜€ I think the lion half might be a bit stark… but it looks good with the white head and redish upper body. πŸ˜€

VERYnice work! πŸ˜€

I know, it does look very plain in the pictures! πŸ˜• but there actually is antiquing and shading and stuff in the lion half…it all got blown out.
            I’m glad you like the kirin!! πŸ˜€

-J R R Tolkien

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

SQUEE! The eagle came out AWESOME ARLLA!!! I especially LOVE the silver Ki-Rin!!! Hehe! Now we both have KoiRins! YAY!

EDIT: Wow, the more I look at the eagle the more intense he seems! The brown feathers LOOK GREAT! 😯

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Patricia
              Participant

Wow! That looks wonderful! I really like them both.

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

Arlla
                Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

SQUEE! The eagle came out AWESOME ARLLA!!! I especially LOVE the silver Ki-Rin!!! Hehe! Now we both have KoiRins! YAY!

EDIT: Wow, the more I look at the eagle the more intense he seems! The brown feathers LOOK GREAT! 😯

XD Thank yoooo!!

-J R R Tolkien

Maria
                  Participant

Sam is a good-looking griff, though it would help to see the antiquing on the lion part. I was thinking about doing a bald eagle, but I couldn’t think of any decent, fitting coloring for the lion half. It’s hard to fit anything to brown and white without making the critter basically unicolor.

I love the bald eagle gryphon! πŸ˜€

dragonmedley
                    Participant

The kirin looks AWESOME!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Sam is a good-looking griff, though it would help to see the antiquing on the lion part. I was thinking about doing a bald eagle, but I couldn’t think of any decent, fitting coloring for the lion half. It’s hard to fit anything to brown and white without making the critter basically unicolor.

You could tip his tail and his toes in a dark brown to offset the black and brown in his talons.

I love the Ki-Rin the best. Awesome. πŸ˜€

Arlla
                      Participant

I could paint his knee tufts a darker color…and tip the dark brown of his tail tuft with black…

-J R R Tolkien

Skigod377
                        Participant

Beautiful, as usual. They both look lovely!

laphon1
                          Participant

Love the silver kirin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.