Rumballs. Mmmmm…

Home Forums Miscellany Food Rumballs. Mmmmm…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Melissa
    Participant

Melissa
      Participant

Well, as a kid I made these as Christmas gifts and had multiple adults pledge oaths of loyalty as a result. I make these every year and have chosen to share this awesome power. Use it well.

This Recipe came from a lovely old book ‘Making your own Traditions’ by Dette Hunter and Jocelyn Shipley.

This is a doubled version of the recipe which makes a nice batch for several gifts, or a platter for one party. It can be easily halved or doubled from here. These take a little time but are very simple to make.

4 cups graham cracker crumbs
        1 cup cocoa
        2 cups finely chopped nuts of choice
        2 cups powdered sugar
        1 cup melted butter
        1 cup rum
        A little extra powdered sugar not for the mixture, but for coating.

Crush the graham crackers by placing several in a gallon ziplock bag and running them over with a rolling pin. Or use an alternate method of choice.

Mix all the dry ingredients together thoroughly.

Mix in the melted butter, then mix in the rum.

It will be gooey for several minutes, before starting to get a little firmer. After mixing, roll into balls, then roll each ball in powdered sugar to coat it. I do this assembly line style, rolling and coating one, then moving to the next. You can skip rolling them in powdered sugar, but I don’t know why anyone would want to.

Place in a sealed container, and store in the fridge. These mellow over time and keep safely for months.

These are extremely rich and have a high enough alcohol content, that those with innocent livers may even wish to wait a little between eating and driving. But oh, they are good. Enjoy. πŸ™‚

Purplecat
        Participant

mmmmm…..I may have to try these…they sound good! πŸ˜€

Pegasi1978
          Participant

How many rumballs should the recipe make?

That does sound good…. do you know if it would work if I substituted the powdered sugar for fake sugar (aka Splenda)?

Because 2 cups is a wee bit excessive (and the last recipe I tried substituting on it kind of failed, kinda meaning…. no it was bad, very bad). And I just don’t want to waste good rum that way… LOL

Melissa
            Participant

@ Purplecat, Thank you!

@ Pegasi, Hmm, I’ve never actually counted them. My (very) crude guess would be fifty-ish. Certainly enough to fill several gift mugs and have a bit left over, or fill a nice party tray. The recipe’s size is flexible so long as the ingredient ratio remains the same. So it could be halved for a modest but adequate portion, or doubled for a giant portion. Though doubling it requires a pretty darn big mixing bowl…

@ Dragon87, I’ve never tried Splenda with it, and it sounds frightening. But on the other hand, the recipe’s rather forgiving. Large amounts of fat, chocolate and alcohol can hide a multitude of sins…

Proportionally compared with the other stuff, the ratio of sugar isn’t too bad. If one cup of powdered sugar would be allright, you could just make a half batch.

But if Splenda’s necessary for diet or health reasons, my only recommendation would be to try the substitution in a quarter sized batch, so that if it turns disastrous, less time and fewer ingredients are wasted. So, here’s my recommendation.

1 cups graham cracker crumbs
              1/4 cup cocoa
              1/2 cup finely chopped nuts of choice
              1/2 cup Splenda (or powdered sugar)
              1/4 cup melted butter
              1/4 cup rum

I have no clue whether or not this will work. But if it does, you could size up the recipe again. If you try it with Splenda, please share the results to forewarn and/or forearm the rest of us. πŸ˜€

I love rumballs! Thank you for posting this recipe :). I’ve made some before using Nilla cookies but not graham, cool!

LadyFirebird
              Participant

pegasi1978 wrote:

My guess it would depend on how much of the rum actually gets into the receipe! 😈 XD Runs off with the rum and hides! πŸ˜€

LadyFirebird wrote:

pegasi1978 wrote:

My guess it would depend on how much of the rum actually gets into the receipe! 😈 XD Runs off with the rum and hides! πŸ˜€

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Good point!!

I LOVE rumballs. Of course my stomach can only handle about 1 or 2, because rich sweets just don’t sit with me as well as they used to. *sighs remembering the “gool ol days” as a kid*

I’ve actually eaten rumballs as young as twelve or so. LOL My parents made the exception since it was a Holiday, but I was usually only allowed one! πŸ˜›

machineguts
                Participant

Okay I am definitely trying out this recipe! I love these things so much. πŸ˜€

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.