fbpx

Ruby Scratcher paint issue

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Ruby Scratcher paint issue

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    pony-up
    Participant

I just got a dark cranberry ruby scratcher off ebay and he was a bit dusty. I used an old soft toothbrush and a bit of water to clean him up a bit and the color came right off, especially in the nooks and crannies of his legs and tail! Was this a common issue with the ruby dragons? What should I use to seal the paint to prevent any future damage?

Pictures?
      Did the paint run off enough that is it completely gone in spots, or did it just run off enough to turn the water pink?

You have a “bleeding ruby” (also known as “dark ruby” or “cranberry ruby”). The very first rubies were painted with a very unstable red paint that bleeds through the finishing clearcoat. To my knowledge, it can’t be sealed, it can only be kept away from water and sunlight.

Amy
      Participant

Oh dear ๐Ÿ™

Yeah, never use water on any windstone with red paint

pony-up
        Participant

The water turned very pink and stained my hands as well. The paint in the coils of his tail are now pink instead of cranberry ๐Ÿ™

pony-up
          Participant

Photobucket

Amy
            Participant

Have you tried drying it off yet to prevent further damage?

pony-up
              Participant

Oh yes, I dried him off immediately. Probably ruined a perfectly good hand towel, too, lol.. He was in mint condition when he arrived and he’ll still display nicely, but I think I’ll have to get a glass cabinet for by ruby dragons to help keep them from getting dusty in the future and thus prevent the need to clean them!

Amy
                Participant

Probably the best plan, or just get him nice and clean now and just dust intermittently so you don’t have the hard buildup later on.

I’m really sorry he’s not mint anymore. I know how awful it feels to get something and then accidentally goof it. ๐Ÿ™

He will definitely still look nice though, and you could probably even touch the paint up a little yourself.

KaytanaPhoenix
                  Participant
                    Amy
                    Participant

You might find some useful info here:
                      http://windstoneeditions.com/forum/cleaning-absolutely-filty-dragon

Keeping in mind that these tips are for a peacock dragon, which isn’t going to react to water the same way as the ruby and fire red dragons will.

Pam

Red fire dragons and the later rubies should not melt in water.

Are the pink spots areas where the paint is gone, or is it dried pink that is now sitting on top of the clearcoat? Probably the latter, but just checking.

KaytanaPhoenix
                        Participant

You might find some useful info here:
                          http://windstoneeditions.com/forum/cleaning-absolutely-filty-dragon

Keeping in mind that these tips are for a peacock dragon, which isn’t going to react to water the same way as the ruby and fire red dragons will.

It also has tips to clean without water.. like canned air ๐Ÿ™‚ and (I’m too tired to read over all of it) I believe either Jennifer or Pam mentions in it what *not* to do with Red dragons..

Amy
                          Participant

For sure. I wasn’t trying to say that you shouldn’t have linked to that thread. Sorry if it came out wrong.

I don’t know how well this would work for Windstones, but what i do for everyday stuff around my computer and Breyers (when i don’t want to go through a bunch of air-cans) is “sweep” them with a dedicated soft-bristle paint brush (clean and unused otherwise, of course). Soft bristles keep from doing damage even if i have to get a little more vigorous against the dirt. As for stains and such, maybe someone else has ideas.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.