Ruby dragon color matching

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Ruby dragon color matching

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mika
    Participant

Thanks to an ebay seller not double-boxing a ruby dragon when I sent a message specifically asking for such (because I’ve had an increase in the number of items breaking in-transit), it arrived today with a chip on its head. *sigh*

I’m pretty confident I can repair it but I’m not so confident about color-matching the red. Can anybody out here help with that? I vaguely remember reading I have to paint a gold base coat but I don’t remember anything else.

Thanks for reading this and thanks again if you’re able to help!

Melody
      Keymaster

Oh boy, matching that color won’t be easy. Paint the area black first, then paint it with the brightest gold acrylic paint you can find. I think the color “Quinacridone crimson” from Golden brand paint, may be the closest red color to the one we used, but it will be a bit darker than that ruby color.

tig3r06
        Participant

Would Art Alchemy Metallique Royal Red maybe help in the mixture to come close to the red? It’s the only metallic red I’ve found that’s actually red.

Mika
          Participant

Thanks for your help Melody.:) I’m pretty sure I have that crimson already so now to find the right gold paint to match it with.

Tig3r06, I’ve not seen that brand before. What store sells it?

tig3r06
            Participant

Mika- I’ve had to order online. This website ships really fast and have been awesome so far.
              http://www.thefunkiejunkie.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Metallique+&Submit=

tig3r06
              Participant

I used the red on Ares, if you take a peek at my gallery he’s in the Olympians folder.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

The red used on the ruby dragons is not metallic (most metallic reds look kinda awful, and flat, and blah). It’s a translucent red painted/glazed on top of a metallic base coat (in this case, gold). It’s a thin layer of a rich saturated red on top of the gold; the metallic look is from the gold underneath creating depth. I hope this helps!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Melody
                  Keymaster

You found a metallic red??? Oh wow! I have been looking for one for years!! The only thing I’ve found similar to a “red ” is that brownish russet red color.

tig3r06
                    Participant

Yes! I really like it. Here’s pics in different light and I used it on Ares. On his body I mixed it with brown’s. On the accents and edges I used the straight red. This is Royal Red and they also have a Rusty Red that I haven’t tried yet. Hopefully this is a red enough red that you’re looking for 🙂
                      Art Alchemy Metallique Royal Red
                      Ares
                      Ares

Melody
                      Keymaster

Yes! I really like it. Here’s pics in different light and I used it on Ares. On his body I mixed it with brown’s. On the accents and edges I used the straight red. This is Royal Red and they also have a Rusty Red that I haven’t tried yet. Hopefully this is a red enough red that you’re looking for 🙂
                        Ares
                        Ares

[/quote] I just got some! I’ll try it.

Ela_Hara
                        Participant

Yes – I’ve got some of the Royal Red on order too along with a couple other colors! Too bad the Rusty Red was out of stock – I’m going to use these on my Foops for the PYO Foo Pup Swap.

Thanks for the information – I’m always on the look out for Metallic paints…. I LOVE Them!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

tig3r06
                          Participant

I’m so excited to see what both of you think! I love all the paints so far from them. I need to get more of the Metallique colors, but I have all the Opal Magic and Sparks(extremely metallic) colors. And the Sparks have cool names like Unicorn’s Hair which makes them even more fun!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.