fbpx

RIT dye?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Has anyone ever used RIT dye (or something similar) on a PYO? Either the powder or liquid kind; putting different colors in bowls and painting it on with a paintbrush? I was thinking about trying that but wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with it before. πŸ˜€

I’ve never heard of doing that. But I’d like to know too. That sounds fun! πŸ™‚

When I want to test colors and combination of colors, I pick up a bunch of the plaster ‘paint yourself” ornaments from Michaels. If you catch them on sale you can get them for like 50 cents a piece or less. I pick pieces that have a variety of texture on them too.

That way you can experiment without doing something irreversible on your good piece. And they make good reference pieces for your paint colors.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

That’s a new one! Sounds like it’d be similar to painting with watercolors. I imagine that the gypsum will suck the dye up unevenly, so you won’t get that perfectly smooth look like you can get with acrylic paint.

Let us know how it turns out if you try it! πŸ™‚ This is unknown territory.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Yeah, I was thinking that and wondering if the colors would fade eventually. But I think I’ll take Tintaglia’s suggestion and try it out on the small pieces from Michaels/Walmart and see how it turns out. Whatever happens, I’ll be sure to post pics here. πŸ˜€

Purplecat
      Participant

Cool idea! I’ll be sure to revisit and see how it turns out!

Jennifer
        Keymaster

PaperCut wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking that and wondering if the colors would fade eventually. But I think I’ll take Tintaglia’s suggestion and try it out on the small pieces from Michaels/Walmart and see how it turns out. Whatever happens, I’ll be sure to post pics here. πŸ˜€

No problem!! The inexpensive ceramics are nice to test things on. Just be aware that the PYO is gypsum and will probably ‘suck up’ the paint faster. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.