RIP Hammer

Home Forums Miscellany Community RIP Hammer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    StormDancer
    Participant

I am heartbroken…
      The Stallion I have had for 17 years, that I raised since he was 4 months old. My big baby. I just had to put down this morning.
      He was supposed to go to another town (4 hours away) for a while and my husband pulled out with him at 6 AM this morning for the trip. Two hours later I got a call from him that Hammer had gone down in the trailer. He had got him up and back out of the trailer to try and see what was going on but Hammer kept going down and he couldn’t get him standing again and so he needed help.
      I rushed out, drove as fast as I could kinda legally get away with for 80 miles and arrived just as he, a state patrol officer, and a vet had managed to get Hammer loaded back into the horse trailer and headed out to the vets. I managed to beat them all back to the vets office and when they pulled in Hammer was down in the trailer again. As soon as I was finally able to see him I knew it was to late. He was already to far gone for anything to be done.
      It killed me to have to tell the vet to put him down, but I could tell he had ruptured an intestine and was bleeding internally. Only thing to do was to let him go. He didn’t stop struggling until I was there. As soon as I was able to get in the trailer with him to talk to him and hold his head he relaxed enough the vet was able to euthanize him.
      I am just so at a loss. He was perfectly healthy when we loaded him. He has been hauled all over the western United states and we have never had any problems. This just makes my heart actually ache.

Looking for:
      "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Oh, My goodness!….That is Horrible! Are you going to have a necropsy done? I would want to just to find out how it all happened.

I am so sorry for your loss! I would be so heartbroken as well. 🙁

Ela_Hara
      Participant

I’m so sorry StormDancer!
        It was good that you were able to be with your Big Baby and calm him down. Our fur babies have a way of waiting for us to be there for them to say last Goodbyes. Somehow they always know.

HUGZ and Prayers!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Angelika_Zen
        Participant

I am so SO sorry 🙁 I dont really know what else to say.

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Adaneth
          Participant

How heartbreaking! So sorry for your loss.

Natasha
            Participant

So sad. I’m sorry for your loss.

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
              ANY Red Eyed Unis
              ANY Test Paint Bat
              UNIS:
              The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
              Male- Snow Leopard TP
              White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
              Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
              Mother: Okapi
              Gothic - Mahogany
              PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
              DRAGONS: Male Coyote

StormDancer
              Participant

Thank you everyone.

Dreaming tree… No I wont have a necropsy done. I have worked with and for large animal vets for years.
                What I am 99% sure happened after talking with my husband is this.
                It’s been snowing and cold here in Colorado and Hammer had some snow in his hoofs when we loaded him. I think as Ed took one of the corners that Hammer lost his balance or slipped and fell in the trailer and either when he landed or in his efforts to get back up he twisted an intestine. When it twisted he tore it as well which explains how extremely bloated he already was when I was able to get to him. He was bleeding out internally. It’s one of those things, a stupid accident. You do what you can to prevent them from happening in the first place, but sometimes, no matter what you do, they still happen.

Once again thank you all for your thoughts and sympathy.

Looking for:

MandBsMom
                Participant

That is heartbreaking. Sending hugs for you.

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

jmoore
                  Participant

Oh, I’m so very sorry for your loss StormDancer! Hugs!

Scathach
                    Participant

I’m so sorry for your loss. I have no other words.

Just tears and hugs.

Life is beautiful.

Mary
                      Participant

So sorry for your loss!

Laurie
                        Participant

I am so right there with you. Seems too many bad things are happening to our babies lately and way too fast to be able to do anything. Hard to say anything to try to make things better, I’m in that boat as well. Luckily I have friends who are helping me with my buddy problem. Will be getting another mare next week. All I can say is “I’m so sorry, I do understand.”

Christine
                          Participant

Oh, I am so sorry to read this. Huge hugs for you. My family lost a senior-but-lots-of-years-left horse to a freak accident too a few years back and it’s just awful when something like this happens. You did the right thing, and I was so happy to read that you were able to give him comfort during the whole ordeal. Truly it was all you could have done, and all he would have asked. <3 More hugs, and my one of my favorite horse poems for you.

The HORSE’S PRAYER

To thee, my master I offer my prayer.
                            Feed me, water me, and care for me.
                            And when the work is done, provide me with a shelter,
                            a clean dry bed, and a stall wide enough for me to lie down in comfort.
                            Always be kind to me. Talk to me.
                            Your voice often means as much to me as the reins.
                            Pet me sometimes, that I may serve you more gladly and learn to love you.
                            Do not jerk the reins. Never strike, beat, or kick me when I do not understand what you want, but give me a chance to understand you.
                            Watch me, and if I fail to do your bidding, see if something is wrong with my tack or my feet. Keep me well-shod.
                            Examine my teeth when I do not eat.
                            Do not tie my head in an unnatural position or take away my best defence against flies and mosquitoes, by cutting my tail.
                            I cannot tell you in words, when I am sick, so watch me that by my signs, you may know my condition.
                            Give me all possible shelter from the hot sun.
                            Put a blanket on me when I stand in the cold.
                            Never put a frosty bit in my mouth; first warm it in you hands.
                            I try to carry you without a murmur, and wait patiently for you long hours.
                            Remember, that I must be ready at any moment, to lose my life in your service.
                            And finally, oh my master, when my strength is gone, to not turn me out to starve or freeze.
                            Do not sell to some cruel owner, to be slowly tortured.
                            Do thou, my master, take my life in the kindest way, and your GOD will reward you, here, and in the hereafter.
                            Do not consider me irreverant, if I ask all this in the name of HE, who was born in a stable.

Author unknown

StormDancer
                            Participant

Thank you all for your thoughts. It helps a bit sharing whats happened even though it hurts too.

Laurie, I am so glad you are getting another mare. She will help to fill that void for both you and your other mare.

chrisherself thank you for the poem. It is one I had seen before but it is a wonderful one.

As hard as it is for me. I always do my best to be there for my fur babies at the end. They were here for me throughout their lives. They graced me with their presence. To me, fur babies are angels in disguise. Who else is there for you at all times, stands by your side for everything and shows never ending understanding and loyalty no matter what? So it is important to me to not let them have their final moments scared or with strangers.

Here is a poem a friend wrote about Hammer and I..

The Wild Kind

She likes horses – the wild kind.
                              She is a warm, gentle hand running
                              along a muscled, rippling flank.
                              Her eyes are innocence and fire.
                              She rides until thrown –
                              Her laughter skipping across his spine.
                              Long fingers tangled in a silky mane.
                              She is always there, and yet, she’s not.
                              She knows when to walk away
                              And she knows when he needs her to stay.
                              She has no bridle, no spurs
                              No heavy leather burden that makes him itch.
                              Instead,
                              She has love and a smile!
                              Why seek to change and control
                              the restless spirit in him
                              When he has the wild kind.

By Julie Platz

and some photos of Hammer
                               photo ham college_zpska7m5z5a.jpg

and some of the colts he sired over the years
                               photo Hammers babies_zpsozlgsqwd.jpg

Looking for:

Ferlin1984
                              Participant

So sorry! What a beautiful animal. Such a blessing to have him be part of your life.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.