fbpx

Riku was put down today

Home Forums Miscellany Community Riku was put down today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kujacker
    Participant

For those of you that read my previous thread in the flea market… my ferret Riku was very sick. The vet didn’t know what he had and kept giving me the run around. I took him to a different vet today. They knew exactly what was wrong with him… and they said they could do X for him tonight for $2,000… but it was no guarantee it would even help him. If it did help him, it would be another $2,000 for surgery… which again, didn’t mean he would live after it. And as I knew already… he was in unbearable pain.
      Even if I had that kind of money… putting him thru all that pain for just a “chance” he would live, and have his quality of life compromised… I couldn’t do it.
      He was only about 3 years old.
      Just two weeks after losing my dog, I lose one of my beloved ferrets. I always knew odds were against me in life, but I just can’t take this anymore.

All ferrets are special and amazing… but Riku went above and beyond this. He was so personal, loving, just loved to be held forever, just be with you. And he had the silliest things he would do. Every night when I was preparing his raw meat for the night, he would lay at my feet, belly up. If I moved, he would follow me. When I’d go back to the counter, he’d go belly up again.

When I brought him home, I wasn’t looking for another ferret. My dad and I went into the store, and the staff ended up opening up the ferret cage. Riku was the last ferret I held… but he climbed up my shirt, licked my lips, and then crawled into my hoodie’s hood. He chose me.

Everyone keeps saying that, even though his life was short, it was great. I spoiled my ferrets with love. I know he had a great life for what he had… but it just doesn’t help even if it is true. It doesn’t help me to feel any better.

My ferrets are my life. They are more than just a pet or companion to me… my ferrets… I owe them my life. My children. Without them, I would be dead. Every time I was at the brink, ready to end myself, my thoughts weren’t about my dad or brother or friends or family… it was “what would happen to my ferrets if I did this?”. They kept me alive.

He will be privately cremated and returned to me…

Taken just on Monday…

CLICK LINK: Something silly he would do. He would go nuts for this kind of stuff. We always had empty water bottles around the house because he loved the noise they made.

Heather
      Participant

Kujacker, I am very sorry for the sudden loss of Riku as well as your dog. I have lost 3 ferrets in my lifetime, and they will all have a special place in my heart. 2 of my ferrets had similar issues to your Riku. They got very sick very fast and the cost of x-rays, surgeries, etc became astronomical. Ferrets are so precious and seeing them suffering is unbearable. I really hope you are able to cope with your losses and I know you will always remember the good times you had with Riku. He left you too soon, but he left something in your heart that will last forever.

Kathleen
        Participant

I am so sorry I dont know what to say but that I am thinking of you and your little babies and sending you hugs.

I know what you mean about the odds being against us. I had two dogs and lost them both in the same year to cancer. They were only 4 and 6 years old. Its like what the???? life just is not fair and I think why would I get another animal just to lose them but I would rather have the joy of their companionship than to not have it at all.

Again so sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

PS remember you are loved, important and will get through this even though it is so difficult.

Adaneth
          Participant

So sorry for your loss. They leave a place that nothing else can fill, and they never live long enough.

Carolyn
            Participant

At least the short time you have with him bought you and him great joy and love . My heart goes out to you . Blessings .

Jennifer
              Keymaster

I am so sorry to hear this. ๐Ÿ™

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Azurielle
                Participant

I’m so sorry for you! There’s really nothing to say because we love animals as much as any family member and it breaks our hearts to lose them. At least he was loved and spoiled. And please think about getting some counselling if it is too hard to cope! And maybe someday another ferret who needs you will choose you too.

Keeper of the Fledgings

littleironhorse
                  Participant

Kujacker, I’m so sorry for your loss.

I can’t even begin imagine what you’re going through right now.

Stephanie
                    Participant

I am so sorry. ๐Ÿ™

twindragonsmum
                      Participant

Oh Ku, sweetheart, I am so, so very sorry for your loss. Riku is absolutely adorable. I know that what you did for him was extremely hard to do. You were able to give him one last gift, that of helping him on to the next step in life’s journey and he was able to do so with dignity and all your love. You’ve had a hard, hard row to hoe in the last few years and I admire you for the strength that you’ve shown through out your difficulties. Please don’t think that your sacrifes were for nothing because you’ve helped me through some very rough patches even if you didn’t know it at the time. All my love and heart felt condolences to you. Big, huge hugs,

twindragonsmum

tdm

LadyFirebird
                        Participant

I’m so sorry for your recent loss. Add me to the list of feeling that the odds are against you–you’ve had so many personal losses and I know that is so hard to take. You gave your fur babies wonderful care and love. You gave them a very good life when then were with you. You’ll always carry them in your heart. Sending warm and comforting thoughts your way.

Kuj, I’m so sorry – both for the loss of your dog and for Riku. It’s always so hard, but keep him in your thoughts and memories – his life was more then the decision to let him go, and you can be comforted in the many memories you had with him.

Danzig Moon (Karen)
                          Participant

I am SO sorry to hear about you baby. I had to put one of my horses down last year and a piece of me died with her. Just always know he will always be with you in sprit and always at you feet on his back.
                            He’s in a better place now and no longer in pain and always smiling down on you!!!

*** Always looking for Brindles..*** AWD Pieces **** Lavender Coiled Mother with Globe**** if you have one you would like to sell or trade please contact me ?

Kujacker
                            Participant

Thanks everyone.

Katherine
                              Participant

I am so sorry for your loss. ๐Ÿ™ That video was so cute, and I know you will never forget him…he will always be with you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.