Restoring Original Artwork

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Restoring Original Artwork

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Trina
    Participant

I need someone in Saskatchewan Canada to restore my dragons to their original art work. They are from the 80s, I believe. I have a Mother Dragon, Male Dragon, Young Dragon, and a Hatching Dragon (old style–retired) all originally in Black Violet Peacock art work.

They have regrettably been painted in solid colouring with acrylic paint. Upon discovering this website and realizing the artistic value and history of the pieces, I long to have them in their original state.

That being said, I need someone local to me. I could not part with them at a distance as they carry significant symbolic value to my family. There is a story 🙂

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Hi Trina!

So sorry that your dragons are not in tip top shape. If you could share a few photos of their condition, it might be easier for a forum member to analyze if they could preform the repair for you or not. It may be very difficult to find someone local; in which case, are you adverse to shipping them within Canada?

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

Restoring them to their former color may also be difficult if they were repainted with acrylic paint. Stripping them would more than likely damage the original paint as well and destroy them. It would depend on the paint that was used and if it can be easily removed or not. Being removed with a gentle cleaning is one thing, but stripping them with chemicals would certainly result in them needed to be completely repainted.

Peacock is a relatively common color even though it is retired. I realize they seem to have sentimental value to you but buying a new set would probably be more affordable than commissioning someone to refurbish them.

Again, pictures would help a lot though before that determination is made for sure

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kim
          Blocked

Yeah it depends if someone could strip the paint easily on top or if they would have to be repainted.  I live in Calgary, Alberta and know there are some collectors in Ontario as well but I don’t know anyone on here from Saskatchewan so you would probably have to ship them to someone in Canada or the US to be fixed.  But yeah if you could attach pictures on here we could see what they look like and what needs to be done.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Trina
            Participant

Thank you for the responses! I will definitely get some photos posted here in the next couple of days.

Trina
              Participant

Sorry it has taken so long, but here is a photo of one dragon. There four solidly coloured ones in total and they were originally black with peacock colouring. Yes, I am completely aware of how awful they look and deeply regret having destroyed their original beauty! Thank you.

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

Aw man… I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those don’t look salvageable in a restoration sort of sense. Meaning I don’t think that would strip and leave a the previously flawless finish underneath. They would more than likely have to be patched and completely repainted. It would honestly cost you less to replace them since it’s peacock. Though it is a retired color it is common enough that it’s not very expensive to pick up on the aftermarket.

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Trina
                  Participant

Well, thank you for not being too harsh, lol. They are in a sad state for sure! I assumed they would need a full repainting, that is IF the acrylic paint could be stripped. Or if it could be just painted over? I have no idea!

Honestly, I was just curious what options may be out there! I do not intend to spend big bucks on having them restored. I also would not replace them, as the actual symbolism of these particular dragons is much more valuable to me than restoring the artwork. Of course, I mean NO disrespect to any artist AND will never deface a dragon again!

I have besties that are artists, perhaps they could help. I really appreciate getting input though!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.