resetting a misaligned part?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs resetting a misaligned part?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kitsunelady
    Participant

I’m sure some of you saw that broken oriental on ebay. Well, I bought him…and I was kinda hoping she hadn’t glued his head back on herself, because that is so easy to screw up, that I wanted to do it myself. He would have been a pretty easy repair if she hadn’t, but…unfortunately, his noodle is firmly attached with probably some sort of super-glue, and it is also just the slightest bit misaligned. =

Has anyone had to break off a misaligned part on a Windstone before? I ran him under warm water, hoping the glue would loosen up, but I’m not getting any sort of movement. I’m considering getting a small chisel out and sticking it in the crack in his neck, and giving it a good whack, but…thought I’d check here for any other ideas first. ๐Ÿ˜€

siberakh1
      Participant

While I haven’t tried it, if the glue is super glue, there is something out there that will dissolve super glue (for when you’re fingers become glued together for instance). Not sure what it’s called or what it would do to the gypsum (I’m assuming you’d be doing paint repairs anyways), but that’s a thought to throw out there. I haven’t tried this myself though.

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Just as a warning– anything that dissolves superglue will almost certainly cause some measure of damage to the clear coat and/or paint job! Use as your own risk.

I tried to re-break a piece that had been broken, and was very careful to try and re-break it on the ‘fault line’ so to speak. Of course, it broke everywhere BUT! And so I was faced with a misaligned piece AND new breakage…

Good luck ๐Ÿ™

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

kitsunelady
          Participant

Just as a warning– anything that dissolves superglue will almost certainly cause some measure of damage to the clear coat and/or paint job! Use as your own risk.

I tried to re-break a piece that had been broken, and was very careful to try and re-break it on the ‘fault line’ so to speak. Of course, it broke everywhere BUT! And so I was faced with a misaligned piece AND new breakage…

Good luck ๐Ÿ™

Ick, breaking him and getting more breakage everywhere but where I wanted was what I was afraid of. I pretty much had already figured putting any kind of ‘dissolver’ on the glued area would screw up the paint job, which is already loosened up around the edge of the break just from the water. Jeez. I’m just gonna give it a go with the hammer, lol. Or I could just saw his head off above and below the old break, and rebuild that entire section…hmm…

I will report how it turns out, for better or for worse. Maybe I should videotape the beheading and horrify all of you for teh lulz? XD

Hannah
            Participant

I will report how it turns out, for better or for worse. Maybe I should videotape the beheading and horrify all of you for teh lulz? XD

DO IT!

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
              Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

WolfenMachine
              Participant

acetone fingernail polish remover dissolves super glue, but it will definalty destroy the paint as well.

siberakh1
                Participant

I wonder what a band saw with a nice sharp blade would do…

dragonmedley
                  Participant

Before you take out the torture instruments, you could ask her what type of glue she used. I don’t think warm water would dissolve white glue, though. Acetone does, but you would need to apply it in tiny amounts to spare the paint.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

kitsunelady
                    Participant

Well, I got his head off. I used a combination of letting some acetone nail-polish remover soak into the crack, and a light tap with a hammer and chisel. It came right off! Lucky~

Stephanie
                      Participant

Well, I got his head off. I used a combination of letting some acetone nail-polish remover soak into the crack, and a light tap with a hammer and chisel. It came right off! Lucky~

I’ve never cheered for decapitation before, but YAY!

dragonmedley
                        Participant

๐Ÿ˜€
                          You crack me up… pun intended!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Stephanie
                          Participant

๐Ÿ˜€
                            You crack me up… pun intended!

Hahaha!

Amy
                            Participant

You’ve gotta post pictures once he is all patched up. I want to see the finished product. ^_^

littleironhorse
                              Participant

Can you (or anyone else) tell me if the acetone damaged/weakened the gypsum?

I’m wondering if it would work to remove already glued in eyes from PYOs…

Jennifer
                                Keymaster

Can you (or anyone else) tell me if the acetone damaged/weakened the gypsum?

I’m wondering if it would work to remove already glued in eyes from PYOs…

Okay, don’t take this as an official word (it’s not!), but if they are unpainted PYOs then they should be okay as long as you’re not soaking them in acetone. Try to just get a few drops behind the eyes if you can, pop them out, and then lightly rinse in clean water. Let it dry for at least 24 hours before painting (more, if it’s humid where you are).

WARNING: Even without glue, sometimes the eyes in PYOs are slightly too large for the socket, and they can go IN without a problem but might be hard to get them out. NEVER force them, as it can shear part of the face off (speaking from experience).

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                  My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.