fbpx

Replacing an Eye or missing Jewel

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Replacing an Eye or missing Jewel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Maybe Some have come across a eye or missing Jewel when doing repairs. I don’t know if Melody holds where they purchase the eyes or jewels, but her is the question. Where can I purchase replacement eyes and the jewels? I have an idea to spice up some PYO’s, but also have some repairs where the jewel is gone. Any help out there?

Melody
      Keymaster

Email us a photo of the damaged pieces (if a piece is missing an eye, send a photo of the missing eye and the existing eye) and we can send you replacement eyes and jewels if we have them. Some dragons had eyes we no longer have, but we can replace most others.
        You can find all kinds of gorgeous acrylic eyes that can be used in the pyo’s and all kinds of jewels online. Search on Etsy. Taxidermy supply places will carry glass eyes similar to ones we use. They are called “convex-concave” bird eyes.

etruscan
        Participant

As you may have seen, there also is this thread near the beginning of the “Paint Your Own” section:

PYOs – gem & eye info sizes, sources, etc.

I know that people have been happy with eyes from Dreaming Tree Studio and from Tohickon Glass Eyes.

Anonymous

Thanks this will save me a lot of self searching.

Anonymous

Thanks so much Melody, I saw some slit eyes, and wondered why you do not use the slit eyes. just curious. I am going to see how they would look in a PYO. Thank again to you and all the great people here at the Forum…I will send some pics. most are scratched eyes I am trying to get the scratches out then buff them back. Its a lot of work. But to pot them out won’t be easy, unless I shatter it, prying it is out of the question. I’ll ask the repair artist here if anyone had to pop an eye.

pipsxlch
              Participant

Windstone makes the eyes in house. The jewels are Swarovski.

I think there’s a question about the archival quality of acrylic vs. glass eyes. Certainly acrylic would scratch much more easily, and probably discolor more easily also. I think much more can be done artistically in the creating of them though, such as the slit pupils you mentioned.

Back when the PYOs came with their eyes glued in, we used warm to hot water dribbled into the socket to loosen the eye. White glue is used to mount them. Repeated treatments will usually work.

Ela_Hara
                Participant

I’ve had members tell me that they use a little bit of water (don’t submerge the piece), like on a Q-Tip to soften the glue and then a toothpick works well to work the glass eye out. I haven’t had the occasion to do this myself, but it seems to work for others.

Good Luck!
                  Also – Dreamingtree makes Gorgeous eyes! I’ve also used Tohickon for more standard natural colors – use the Flat backed Bird eyes.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                  Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                  Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                  *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

There certainly is an art to popping eyes without breaking the sockets. Some pieces are more challenging then others. Dragons are the easiest, equines are moderate to difficult and Poads are definitely the hardest LOL

Got a busted Windstone?
                    drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin
                    Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                    Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                    Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                    Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                    Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                    Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Anonymous

Man You Guys are a riot, Thanks a lot of info here. hey dragOnfeathers on them Poads a jackhammer will do the trick

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

Well the Poad sculpts (especially small ones) have almost no tear duct so it’s hard to get under the eyes to get them out of the sockets without damaging the gypsum eye socket. Thankfully I don’t have to do it often, but a few members have requested me to swap around the eyes on a few grab bag poads to color combinations they prefer so I’ve had practice. No jackhammer required. ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin
                        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kim
                        Blocked

I got a little tadpoad in with cracks in the eyes years ago so I asked for replacement eyes and Susie sent me some. Unfortunately it was a little harder than I thought to get the eyes out as Drag0n mentioned above. One came out with a bit of water and a toothpick but the other eye was stuck the water saturated it and the gypsum softened a bit too much so when I got the eye out the toothpick damaged the eye socket. I had to use apoxie sculpt to fix the eye lid and repainted around it and then glued the new eyes in. I’ve been tempted to change out eyes on other pieces like baby unicorns but I’ve been scared too since the tadpoad. But if I have to in the future I may try again.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Anonymous

I removed a lot of eyes with no problem. use a nip or eye dropper put some water in the eye, keep the eye level but swosh the water around. when prying it out move the toothpick or tool around the eye. be patient and keep working it you will feel the eye come loose. then try to get underneath it. The eye goes in on an angle.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.