Replacement Boxes???

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Replacement Boxes???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone knows why Windstone won’t sell replacement boxes and cardboard inserts. Having recently rediscovered my passion for Windstone Editions dragons, I’ve ordered many retired pieces off of Ebay and from forum members on this site. Many pieces can be shipped fairly easily when not in the original boxes, but a number of them (especially Laps, Old Warriors, Scratchers, Emperors) are extremely difficult to ship without the original box. I’ve ordered 3 or 4 laps that have arrived broken, as well as old warriors and scratchers and one emperor. While Ebay, etc. require the shipper to get an item to the buyer in the condition described, and I end up not being out money other than return shipping, I hate it when pieces are ruined because there is no way to ship an item well. Some of these laps have been packed extremely well, and they still end up arriving with broken horns, etc.

So, I’m wondering why Windstone doesn’t make replacement boxes available for sale. This would be so helpful. I don’t even care if they labeled the box “Replacement Box” in case they’re concerned that an item is more valuable when it truly is in the original box. Having the boxes to protect these statues would help with storage and with shipping. I would also be willing to pay so that Windstone makes a profit on replacement boxes and for their shipping and handling costs.

I’m also wondering if anyone has come up with other ways of protecting their Windstone Editions and shipping them when they don’t have the original box to make sure they don’t break. Again, I’m referring here especially to those with gold-plated horns.

Thanks!

fatalbeauty
      Participant

I wish they would, I own quite a few that came off Ebay without their boxes, I would love to have real boxes if I ever have to move!

4 things I'm looking for:
        1. Mother Meerkat
        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
        3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Some might be shocked to find out that many of the Windstones I get shipped to paint didn’t come with boxes with fitted inserts. For whatever reason! I ship them back to Windstone all painted up with no damage. You just must make them into a bubblewrap burrito, and once you make your burrito, gently hug it from all directions to see if you feel any sharp points, such as from horns or corners of the statue. If so, keep wrapping! Once you have your burrito, fit it into a box, so that it is snug. If necessary, fill any gaps with crumpled newspaper, or firm packing peanuts. Put this box in another box with at least 2″ on each side, and put packing material into the space between boxes. That’s worked for me. The Labradorite lap traveled like this twice!! Before ending up with a fitted box at the factory and being sold on eBay.

As for why Windstone does not sell blank boxes, there are a few answers I can offer. I don’t think that infringement is even near the top of the list… The biggest is storage space for the boxes and inserts, which is at a premium even without extra boxes.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Most Windstones are damaged in transit because they can move around and beat themselves up inside a box. they are not so much ‘fragile’ as they are ‘big and heavy and prone to busting themselves up’.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Skeeterdeee
            Participant

Jennifer, I remember once before you told us about a foam packet that will take the shape of the item you’re packing. For the life of me I can’t remember what you said it is called! Do you know the stuff I’m talking about?

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Yes… Instapak Quick Room Temperature (RT). They are rather expensive though I’ve found nothing better when shipping fragile, one of a kind art. I use bubble wrap burritos for windstones, but I’ve used the Instapak inserts for acrylic sculptures I’ve made.
                They are not very environmentally friendly so they should probably be used sparingly as they only activate once.

I got mine on ebay.

littleironhorse
                Participant

@ houseam: I don’t have the answer to your question, however, besides the obsessively careful packaging ;), what you can also do is post a wanted add in the classifieds for specific boxes. I know several people have gotten boxes that way.

WolfenMachine
                  Participant

I made a packing tutorial and uploaded it to youtube. I dont remember if I deleted it or not…and youtube is blocked at work >.< but you can search "wolfens packing tutorial" or "windstone packing tutorial"

siberakh1
                    Participant

I’ve gotten many old Windstones off of ebay or from stores that for whatever reason do not keep the boxes once they have them on display (for lack of storage is what I have been told). While the inserts certainly help, esp. for the larger items, any Windstone can be packed without them and still arrive safely, including lap dragons and emperors. I agree with Jennifer. The issue comes down to when you have a heavy item that is allowed to move around, or an item that is oddly shaped and not well protected. Well packaged, and double boxing is best, but not everyone knows how to wrap things. While any Windstones I’ve received have come with their original boxes, many purchased second hand both on and off the forum, or even from stores, do not.

I will say that rarely do companies that create collectibles ever sell replacement boxes, so I’m honestly not surprised that Windstone does not. There are the considerations of having to store boxes of various sizes or inserts (some of which are no longer used), just to have on hand should someone request one. In some cases, a company may have the concern of gaining boxes for selling knock offs (this can happen, though I am not accusing anyone here of doing this, just stating that this can happen 🙂 ). It is not uncommon for boxes to be lost for collectibles over time, esp. as a collectible changes hands. Some people don’t worry about resale value or possible shipping later on when they purchase something.

I would try making a classified ad here on the forum, as others have done. Not all Windstone collectors keep their boxes, or tags for that matter, usually out of space constraints, or just not wanting to bother to store them and are willing to rehome their unwanted boxes. I have a good sized collection and I can tell you the empty boxes take up a LOT of space.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.