Repair and is this the correct white color of Empress Hatching?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Repair and is this the correct white color of Empress Hatching?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    tig3r06
    Participant

Hello! Going to try my hand at repairing small damage to horn and some nicks/scuffs. I was so excited to get this off ebay. She doesn’t match my white Scratcher though. She is very gold all over the white which makes her way more yellow than the scratcher. Is this correct that she is more gold? Trying to figure out if someone tried to color already and got carried away with the gold or if that’s how she is supposed to be. If not, I was going to try to color match to my white Scratcher with more white. Thank you so much for any help!
      white scratcher and empress

etruscan
      Participant

There is a discussion about this somewhere. Some white pieces have turned more yellow/gold color over time, but I can’t recall whether a cause was identified.

tig3r06
        Participant

Thank you, I will try searching more through the forums :). I tried googling the internet and the search bar here and was unsuccessful.

etruscan
          Participant

A Google search for “Windstone white color change” turned up this thread from June 2015 – “Differences in Whites” under “General Windstone”. My browser is being uncooperative so I can’t actually link to it, but you probably can scroll back and find it.

Edit – Or I can scroll back and find it … I wasn’t thinking!

http://windstoneeditions.com/the-windstone-forum/topic/differences-in-whites/

tig3r06
            Participant

Thank you so much!!! I was typing windstone white dragons…I started going through all the posts page by page, there’s alot!

That helps alot! looks like it’s a color variation from old to newer. So she will just be repaired. Sad she doesn’t quite match though. Thanks again ๐Ÿ˜Š

StormDancer
              Participant

Don’t be sad, the young of anything are generally at least slightly different colored than the adults in real life anyhow, why not with the dragons too? They are both gorgeous!

Looking for:
                "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

tig3r06
                Participant

That’s a great way to think about it ๐Ÿ˜Š thank you! It’s just my perfectionist in me that wanted a “matching” set.

Melody
                  Keymaster

No these don’t change color, they were painted that way. Some of our painters just used more gold on them.

Melody
                    Keymaster

Yes, the older “pearl” dragons often had quite a bit of gold on them. So much that they were referred to as “Pale gold” by customers.
                      This got confusing, so I encouraged the painters to make them much more pearly, so later ones are whiter.

Melody
                      Keymaster

Something to keep in mind: Windstones have all been hand airbrushed by many many different artists over the years, so the colors will vary depending on who painted them, and when. We do our best to match to a master paint sample, but we do need to update the paint sample from time to time. This happens if a painter finds a better way to paint something, or we change paint suppliers, or a paint we use gets discontinued, or say, the GYPSUM ITSELF changes it’s behavior and screws up how we do things (this happens) or any other crazy reason.
                        The colors evolve.

tig3r06
                        Participant

Melody, Thank you so much for replying ๐Ÿ˜Š the white scratcher was my very first windstone and I’ve always loved the white ones. The empress is definitely what I would call pale gold as well. She’s beautiful in pale gold. I wanted to make sure I painted her damage to match the color she was supposed to be. I didn’t really want to repaint her as I bought her because she was supposed to be the factory white. So thank you again for your info! I really appreciate it.

Suzanne-Marie
                          Participant

Hi !!
                            One of my Hatching Pegasus I found spring cleaning in a closet I had forgot about that fell and his head was severed..
                            I super-glued it back on; it was a clean break but now the seam is visable.
                            Please can someone advise me about how to do the Apoxie-Sculpt to cover the neck ” seam ” ??
                            1. How far above and below the seam do I need to apply the Apoxie-Sculpt??
                            2. How thin or thick does it need to be ??
                            3. Once it’s dry will it need sanded down or anything??
                            4. How do I get the Apoxie Sculpt blended so I do not have 2 lines above and below the crack seam ??
                            Dragonfeathers has kindly offered to fix him for me but I would like to try first…
                            I know A-S takes about 15-20 minutes to set hard so if it looks weird I will just remove it before it sets and send him off for repair.
                            Thank you to anyone who could offer any suggestions or advice.
                            Big Hugs !!!

tig3r06
                            Participant

Oh gosh, I wish I could help. I’m a newbie going to try a repair for my first time.

Suzanne-Marie
                              Participant

Huge, Heart-Felt THANK YOU to Dragonfeathers for the beautiful tutorials on her miraculous dragon before and after photos !!!
                                Thank you so very much also for the 1:1 repair tips for me fixing my poor Hatching Pegasus !!!
                                Will try it next week !!
                                Thank you also for being my safety net in case I cannot fix my poor guy that you will fix him for me !!
                                Huge Thank You Hugs!!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.