Re-discovering Windstone dragons

Home Forums Miscellany Introductory and Welcoming Area Re-discovering Windstone dragons

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LZ
    Participant

I’ve been cleaning out my house, and being serious about not keeping things that have been sitting in storage boxes… until I got to the boxes of my Windstone collection. Made me curious to look them up online. I have missed some spectacular color schemes over the past 15 years. The shell pink is amazing! I need some of that.

Still, I will be selling off some of my collection, mostly the Pegasus and egg dragons. I don’t have original boxes for these. I bought all my pieces from a mall store. They would just put tissue paper around the statues and bag it…

I keep looking at my white dragons over and over again, so those must be keepers, right? 😉

And if anyone has tips on nice glass display cases that don’t let in a lot of dust, I would like to hear them.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

etruscan
      Participant

Welcome to the Forum!  The Shell Pink dragons are very pretty, and should look lovely next to your white ones.

As you may have already discovered, there are Classified Ads on this site where many members sell or trade Windstones.  Or, there is always ebay.

Kim
        Blocked

Yes if you want to sell anything you could post them in the classifieds on here and if they don’t sell here then ebay is good too but it’s nice to sell on here to save on ebay fees and deal with fellow collectors who might be looking for certain pieces.  I would say if you don’t have boxes, maybe try and find some small boxes and bigger boxes for each piece as these are fragile and should only be shipping double boxed.  If you haven’t had any shipped to you before, the way Windstone ships is each piece is placed in a thick clear plastic bag to protect the paint and then wrapped a few times in brown packing paper and tightly fitted into a small box.  (Or you could wrap pieces in bubble wrap.)  Then that smaller box is placed in a larger box filled with packing peanuts that surround all sides, packed tight so the inner box doesn’t move around.  That’s really the only safe way to prevent any pieces from getting chipped or broken during shipping.

I would say keep any dragons or pieces you think you would miss as some old ones are retired or hard to find these days and let us know which ones you are selling.  I am looking for different coloured pegasus babies or a white hatching pegasus if you left me know what you have.  As for display cases or curio cabinets I bought some nice ones for cheap off kijiji.ca.  I am not sure if that is used in the US too or people mostly use Craigslist there.  To give you an example what you can get online I got a couple nice wood Ikea curio cabinets with 4 glass shelves and a glass door for about $25 each and I got a bigger, wider wood curio cabinet also with 4 glass shelves for $75.  In stores they would probably cost 4 times that or more.  Each glass shelf I think holds around 20 or 25 pounds so they have been great for all my small to medium sized Windstones.  I put bigger pieces on the bottom of the cases.  You may also be able to find ones with wooden shelves if you have a lot of heavier pieces or you could use bookcases or china cabinets too.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

LZ
          Participant

Thank you for the info about double-boxing! I tried searching the forums, but didn’t find any descriptions as detailed as this. I do have a white hatching pegasus I would like to sell, but am really scared to ship that, as the wing looks so fragile and difficult to pack correctly. I feel like I need to build confidence selling the other egg items first.

Looking for...

Zexious
            Participant

Ikea also offers some nice glass-faced cabinets, if you’re looking for something inexpensive. But I’d stick to the “Billy” shelves, and steer away from the ones that are completely glass. Windstones are heavy, and the shelves in the “Detolf” ones have been known to bow and eventually break.

Post some pictures of your collection! 😀

LZ
              Participant

Here’s my small dragons. I will be selling most of these. I am trying hard to be honest with myself about this house cleaning I am doing, and have already sold many items that I cared for in the past, but had no time for them any more or was just leaving them in storage bins.

I bought almost all the dragons that were available at the time that I was collecting these, when these were the only three colors available. I even bought the huge emperor dragon, out of obligation of “completing” the collection… not knowing so many more color schemes would come out in the future! Is there a Grand Super Ultimate Gallery that shows off every color?

Looking for...

etruscan
                Participant

I don’t know of any consolidated Windstone color gallery.  Astral Castle shows the production sculpts and colors up to the time they froze their Encyclopedia in 2008:

http://www.astralcastle.com/00-archive/windstone/wsframe.htm

The Windstone Store has a search function that shows 16 colors for the dragons – click on “Shop” (far left under the Windstone Editions header), click on Dragons, click on the bars to the left of “Filter Products”, click on “Color” at the far right.

Between them, the two references should account for most of the production and Limited Production colors!

etruscan
                  Participant

P.S.  Quite a few colors have appeared only on the curled dragons, including Autumn Leaf and Russet Autumn Leaf.  They probably aren’t listed anywhere!

GardenNinja
                    Participant

Once upon a time, somebody wrote a very thorough tutorial on ebay for packing windstones. I tried searching community, and didn’t find it right off. I’ll try again tomorrow, when I am not so tired.

As for the hatching pegasus, the wing is not fragile at all. It is made of pewter, cast separately, then glued in afterwards. If you have it on, say, a mantel, and something happens, like say a cat knocks it off, the neck will shatter on impact, and the wing will pop out unharmed.
                      Trust me on this.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Zexious
                      Participant

What a great little group! Super cute!!

LZ
                        Participant

Oh, no!

Looking for...

GardenNinja
                          Participant

Lisa,
                            I found the eBay guide I mentioned. Silly me, trying to find it by searching on eBay. It was the second result when I googled “how to pack Windstone figurines”.
                            [url]http://www.ebay.com/gds/Safely-Packaging-Windstone-Editions-for-Shipping-/10000000014669952/g.html[/url]

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.