fbpx

raven wolf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Grayfire_artz
    Participant

ok it’ missing one eye do to my wonderful cat but i’m very proud of the paint job
      my inspiration is from an old inuit story about the raven. In the first tale, we discover how the sun, moon, and stars came to be. The main character is Raven who, like Coyote in other parts of the Western United States, is a “trickster” figure. [For a more thorough discussion see my essay on the trickster.] Raven is just going about his typical day-to-day life; but without light he keeps blundering into things. Typical of a trickster, his mind turns to bettering his situation. Note the sentence, “it slowed him down a good deal in his pursuit of food and other fleshly pleasures, and in his constant effort to interfere and to change things.”

Where is the light in this strange world of absolute darkness? It is kept deep inside an infinity of concentric boxes, in a plank house up the river, where an old man lives with the daughter he has never seen. In contrast to systematic origin myths, it is irrelevant how any of this got there. The emotional and social content is the important part — the man who owns the light and possesses it in a carefully guarded cache of boxes, the daughter who has never been seen.

Raven, who is an immortal being, deals with all of this in a way that is typical of the trickster. Watching the daughter come down to the river to get water, his sexual appetite is stirred. [Like Coyote, Raven’s sexual appetite is always inflated.] He transforms himself into a single hemlock needle, floats down river into the daughter’s dipping basket, gives her thirst so that she drinks him down, and enters the house inside of her. Having symbolically impregnated her, Raven emerges as a human child who begins to grow up, as all spoiled boy children do, with his grandfather. Little by little, he gets the grandfather to give him the boxes until he finally gets the grandfather to toss him the light itself! In an instant, he is transformed back into Raven who flies out of the house through the smoke hole in the roof.

The world as we know it is born in this moment as Raven first flies above it with the light in his beak. But there is another great character who, in the first burst of light, is finally able to see its prey. It is Eagle who heads full speed at Raven, causing him to swerve and drop half of his cargo. Falling to the ground, this part of the light smashes into pieces, forming the moon and the stars! And as Eagle chases after Raven, the remainder of the light, the sun, is dropped beyond the rim of the world so that it can begin its daily passage across the sky. The concept of “the rim of the world” is common all the way along the Northwest and undoubtedly derives from the horizon that dominates their ocean-front homes.

In the end, while the old man has lost his sole possession of the light, he has gained the ability to see his daughter who is very beautiful. In this matrilineal society, the daughter’s marriage and child bearing will carry on his lineage.

By toshiami, shot with NIKON D40X at 2008-07-11

Grayfire_artz
      Participant

Jasmine
        Participant

I love it!!

kitsunelady
          Participant

Looks beautiful, even without the eye! I think it gives him character. e.e

Stephanie
            Participant

Wow, that’s absolutely stunning!

Grayfire_artz
              Participant

kitsunelady wrote:

ah thanks i’m hoping to sell him do you think i could get away with leaving the one eye missing?

Grayfire_artz
                Participant

Stephanie wrote:

Wow, that’s absolutely stunning!

thank you!! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

kitsunelady
                  Participant

grayfire artz wrote:

kitsunelady wrote:

ah thanks i’m hoping to sell him do you think i could get away with leaving the one eye missing?

I’d buy it without the eye, so yes! XD

Stephanie
                    Participant

grayfire artz wrote:

kitsunelady wrote:

I actually really like the missing eye…. 😳

I think he looks great without it.

purpledragonclaw
                      Participant

I agree with kitsunelady: the missing eye makes him stand out! You should sell him; the one eye makes him seem more real to me! Very nice job; the colors are gorgeous!

Grayfire_artz
                        Participant

thankies everyone!! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

dragonmedley
                          Participant

He’s beautiful, and as stunning as your other wolves.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Mmloda
                            Participant

WOW he looks awsome…. πŸ˜‰ I like him… πŸ˜€

Marzena

Patricia
                              Participant

Nice! I like it!

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

Kujacker
                                Participant

Love his colors. If I could afford him, I’d want him πŸ˜‰

You can email Susie when WS gets back up and un-packed and I’m sure she will send you a new eye for him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.