Rankings?

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback Rankings?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    drag0nfeathers
    Participant

This might be a stupid question, but didn’t the old form have rankings and a post count that was always visible below our profile picture in the threads?

Also there was something that told you when you joined the forum too.

Under everyone it says “Participant” and that’s it.

<— see

Wasn’t it something like before if you had under 50 posts you were a newbie or a hatchling or something and as your post count got higher you ranking grew along with it with different descriptions? Like by the time you got to some ridiculous amount of posts, like 100,000 you would be like a dragon master or overlord or something?

… I could have also imagined it. I know for sure there was a post count though. LOL!

Got a busted Windstone?
      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
      Siphlophis Male Dragon
      Calypso Hatching Empress
      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
      Tattoo Mother Kirin
      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

GardenNinja
      Participant

The previous forum had the post count, and going to someone’s profile would say when they joined, and whatever other information the person felt like filling in. There weren’t rankings – those might have been on the forum version before last. The forum was already in at least its second version when I joined.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Ela_Hara
        Participant

That’s what I remember – a notation of how long a person had been a member.

Also on the Classifieds there was a toggle so that if you only wanted PM’s and not email messages you could uncheck or check boxes, if I’m remembering correctly. Now you get both options (PM and Email) on your Classified Ad. Sometimes I don’t want to be contacted via direct email.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
          Zeppard Adult Poads
          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

etruscan
          Participant

Drag0nfeathers is correct.  When I joined in May 2010 the Forum did have rankings and a post count.  Later versions showed how long you had been a member and the post count.  Geeky as it may be, I liked having the information.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

Our old forum, back in those days, ran on BBC. Those were the golden days of forums. Sadly things have changed a lot in terms of running private-webiste-forums. Our current one is run off of wordpress, and so that’s what we have to work with. I don’t know if it’s possible to install a widget to track post counts, but I’m always a bit leery of installing widgets that aren’t vital, because they have a habit of creating weirdo secondary problems that we never expected!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Ela_Hara
              Participant

LOL! Boy I don’t want the forum to go all weirdo on us like Drupal started too! LOL!

So, do you think I’m on my way to being a forum Dragon Master yet?! I’d Love that title! Of course my own title of ‘The DragonKeeper’ is Perfect for me! LOL!

Zeppard Adult Poads

Bodine
                Participant

How do you get that very special title?

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                  (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                  Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Kim
                  Blocked

Is there a way to bring back where it shows how long someone has been a member?  I found that good information to have to see if I am dealing with someone who has been around here for a while or is a new member for trading purposes.  Since the user names on here changed, there have been people I thought were new that were actually long term members and vice versa.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Ela_Hara
                    Participant

Because I Love Dragons (crazy for them actually) and I keep them close to my Heart! 💗

Zeppard Adult Poads

Angelika_Zen
                      Participant

I remember the old Forum had post counts, duration of time as forum member, and the amount of time since x last logged on (now you have “active for x”). I remember you could click on another member, and see what threads they’ve posted in.  The ranking system was before my time.

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

I can try to investigate if we can add any of that stuff in a month or two if my workload lets up, or maybe Clay can if he has a chance. Like I said, sometimes adding features to the wordpress forum module can make it act badly (remember how long it took us to get the forum even usable again!!) so I am nervous about experimenting much!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

drag0nfeathers
                          Participant

I knew I wasn’t totally crazy. LOL!

I thought the rankings were kind of fun, but I can see why they would have been done away with to prevent the forum from imploding in on itself with silly errors.

I agree with Kim though that it was kind of nice to see when the member joined and little member stats like that. I don’t want to say it posed a sort of seniority, but it gave newcomers a sense of who they could talk to if they had questions and also you have a little more peace of mind dealing with members who have been around longer with trades and sales. (especially with so many grab bags now, we all do tons of trades) and with growing popularity and more and more new members being added every day it just made me wonder why those little features were gone.

On other forums I’ve been on rankings are usually based on post count or the date when you joined. Seems most go for post count just because it shows you’re a contributing member more so than a lurker. New members could be like a hatchling or a fledgling for the first 500 posts, and would escalate all the way to like an Emperor Dragon or Broodmaster of Draconian Overlord or something when you had 10K or something crazy with an assortment of levels/tiers and descriptions in between.

I don’t remember all the terms or if they were based off general fantasy terms or off the sculptures themselves. I want to say new posters were actually called “sprites”? I really don’t even remember but for some reason I have that word stuck in my head. I guess it doesn’t really matter anyway, but it was just something dumb I was remembering.

Got a busted Windstone?
                            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                            Siphlophis Male Dragon
                            Calypso Hatching Empress
                            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                            Tattoo Mother Kirin
                            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Jennifer
                            Keymaster

Yeah, I think we had dragon/fantasy rankings, and Melody and the crew also gave out a few silly rankings to the founding members of the forum like Skigod, and Dragonmaster…

It’s not so much that we did away with any of this stuff. We* just switched to entirely software to run everything… it’s such a big change it’s like going from a Windows computer to a Mac. The new forum plugin simply didn’t have any of the post count stuff built in! The options simply don’t exist (at least not yet).

* I say “we” but in reality all credit goes to the decision makers and IT folks like Clay! I didn’t actually do much of anything.

Angelika_Zen
                              Participant

I just thought of something else…you used to be able to see who was logged on, which was nice if you felt like chatting. I know its got nothing to do w the ranking system Mandy was asking about, but I thought I would mention it. It would be nice to get that back (without breaking it)

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.