fbpx

Randomest Question Ever!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Randomest Question Ever!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    KaytanaPhoenix
    Participant

So… I have wondered this for as long as I remember seeing white unicorns in the old cutlery shops in the malls when I was little… I finally have decided it’s time to just ask!

Why do the white unis have such a dark brown ring on their necks where the chain is at?

Melody
      Keymaster

So… I have wondered this for as long as I remember seeing white unicorns in the old cutlery shops in the malls when I was little… I finally have decided it’s time to just ask!

Why do the white unis have such a dark brown ring on their necks where the chain is at?

That is an example of “paint creep”. That is a phenomenon something like “mission creep” where the point of a job starts out one way, and after being interpreted by a hundred different people, ends up like something else.
        The point of the brown paint was to color the sides of the chains, so it didn’t look unicorn-colored under the gold paint. It was supposed to just be the edges, but grew and grew over the years until the painters thought it was supposed to be a dark band of brown.

KaytanaPhoenix
        Participant

That is an example of “paint creep”. That is a phenomenon something like “mission creep” where the point of a job starts out one way, and after being interpreted by a hundred different people, ends up like something else.
          The point of the brown paint was to color the sides of the chains, so it didn’t look unicorn-colored under the gold paint. It was supposed to just be the edges, but grew and grew over the years until the painters thought it was supposed to be a dark band of brown.

That makes complete sense! and a bit of a shame, cause on some uni’s it can look quite distracting! and makes sense why the Grab Bags don’t have the same issue… *you* get what you meant to do with it, lol!

scenceable
          Participant

A lot of grab bag unicorns (young and baby) have a brown ring under their necklace I think πŸ˜›

Melody
            Keymaster

A lot of grab bag unicorns (young and baby) have a brown ring under their necklace I think πŸ˜›

It is nearly impossible to paint the brown without making a ring-around-the-collar, but it isn’t supposed to be a fat brown ring. I have regrets about putting those chains on everything.

KaytanaPhoenix
              Participant

It is nearly impossible to paint the brown without making a ring-around-the-collar, but it isn’t supposed to be a fat brown ring. I have regrets about putting those chains on everything.

I love the chains, n soft ring doesn’t bother me, a shadowy contrast if it’s thin/light enough.. A couple of my gbs have it, but as you said, they’re not fat, strong contrast.. I have a couple white unis staying w me for a lil while, n they all have the really noticeable ring. Color probably helps a lot though, non of my gbs are very light so the brown blends in better

briteblades
                Participant

I love the chains too! It adds even more magic and whimsy to me! The brown rings don’t really bother me as I would rather have the chains then none at all

Purplecat
                  Participant

LOL, those rings are the reason I never bought any of the unis with them!

Reminds me too much of the green ring you’d find on your finger if it were cheap metal. Dirty necklaces! tsk tsk. However, the pyo uni isnt wearing jewelry, so those I like. I’m glad it appeals to others, it just wasnt quite my thing! πŸ™‚

KaytanaPhoenix
                    Participant

I love the chains too! It adds even more magic and whimsy to me! The brown rings don’t really bother me as I would rather have the chains then none at all

I fully agree with this! I much rather the chain than not, even with the ring.. I was just curious why it was there more or less XD Maybe painters will catch on that they shouldn’t be so… *BAM* XD haha “Subtle accent” emphasis on subtle.

Adaneth
                      Participant

Reminds me too much of the green ring you’d find on your finger if it were cheap metal. Dirty necklaces! tsk tsk. However, the pyo uni isnt wearing jewelry, so those I like. I’m glad it appeals to others, it just wasnt quite my thing! πŸ™‚

Glad I’m not the only one! It’s the reason I was glad to get a baby pegasus without a necklace, and can’t bring myself to buy the lighter colored flapcats–it drives me CRAZY.

Purplecat
                        Participant

Glad I’m not the only one! It’s the reason I was glad to get a baby pegasus without a necklace, and can’t bring myself to buy the lighter colored flapcats–it drives me CRAZY.

Me too..sigh. It’s the reason I sold my birman flap cat…beautiful piece, but that ring around the neck made me want a washcloth just like if one of my kids gets a ring around the neck on a sweaty day! Can’t very well scrub it off a windstone though!

Sikek
                          Participant

I actually like those brown rings for some reason. It’s as if unicorns are so ancient their chains are rusting on them :p

fatalbeauty
                            Participant

I’ve wondered about that too, some of them have a lot darker rings sometimes when they show up on ebay….doesn’t bother me though…..

4 things I'm looking for:
                              1. Mother Meerkat
                              2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                              3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                              4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Amy
                              Participant

I personally like the necklaces too. It brings a nice bit of color and elegance to what would otherwise just be a white sculpt. Not that they wouldn’t still be beautiful, but I just like the little details/accents like that. The gems give them a nice sparkle and a chance to mix it up a little with different colored gems.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.