fbpx

rainbow sparkle paint?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone rainbow sparkle paint?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Azurielle
    Participant

Ok, Anyone have any links as to where I could buy some of the magic invisible rainbow sparkle paint? Can’t seem to find any place to actually buy it. Much thanks!
      Azurielle

Keeper of the Fledgings

Skeeterdeee
      Participant

Drag0nfeathers recommended a great one to me. It’s called Dupli-Color Clear Effex from Advance Auto Parts. It’s AMAZING stuff! I think I paid around $12 for a can. I just used some today on a little ceramic mushroom I painted to sit by my Poads. 🙂

Kujacker
        Participant

I have the same exact stuff that windstone uses. It’s about $85 for 4 ounces. Everyone seems to have the cheap stuff. I haven’t used that stuff though, so I don’t know how it compares to the “real” stuff, but it’s a heck of a lot cheaper.

Azurielle
          Participant

I would be curious to know how they differ. What is the stuff you use Kujacker? Since I do have a PYO from you, and it’s my only sparkly windstone….:)

Keeper of the Fledgings

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

I dunno, the one I use is the one from Advance Auto parts, the same one mentioned above Dupli-Color Clear Effex and it works FANTASTIC!!! I have some of the ebay pieces with the paint, and I dare say, it might be even better!

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

siberakh1
              Participant

Having seen both, the visual difference is that the flecks in the stuff Windstone uses is much finer than that in the spray can variety. The Between the two, I’d say with the more expensive stuff that Windstone uses, the flecks are much finer. Of course you can layer it to get more of an effect, but that seems to be the biggest visual difference (airbrushed vs. in a can, price, composition, etc.). The expensive stuff is applied with an airbrush and comes thicker, but is thinned down to go through the airbrush by applying an airbrush medium or thinner. Depending on the variety or company, the thinner may need to be a specific one to go with that company’s paint (some automotive paints are highly specific as to what other products you mix them with). You can control the thickness or thinness of the paint because you decide how much you want to thin it down. You also have further control with the airbrush and how you apply the paint. Expensive as it is, it’s a higher quality product than the spray can variety. The spray can variety you can’t thin down any further because it is in a can. You control how much you apply by how you hold the can (ie. distance away from the object being sprayed, how long you spray it for, etc.). They are both cool, though my preference is for the expensive stuff.

Conclusion

Magic Invisible Paint used by Windstone
                Finer flecks
                Higher quality
                Apply with airbrush
                More control in application due to how you thin it and airbrush application
                Expensive – $85 for 4oz.

Spray can variety
                Larger flecks, appear more numerous
                Thicker application (ie. can’t thin it outside of how you use the spray can)
                Spray can
                Cheaper – approx. $15-20 per can

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

Really, I thought the flecks were about the same size… to me anyway

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

siberakh1
                  Participant

It’s not a huge difference. It could be entirely illusion because the layer is thicker than what Windstone uses as well, just because you can’t thin out what comes out of a spray can directly like you can with an airbrush.

Prezaurian
                    Participant

If you’re looking for an affordable brand (like if you have a small budget), you could try Spaz Stix brand holographic paint. They also sell a couple different kinds of color shift paint. Spaz Stix is formulated for little model cars and comes in bottles for airbrushing or in aerosol spray cans. You can find it on Amazon.com or their official web site. I bought a bottle of the holographic and am currently using it on a PYO keeper. It seems to work well so far (I dry brushed it on). Best effect is on a black or similarly dark background. About $11.99 for one of the 2oz. bottles. Spaz Stix’s website also has pictures of each paint color on an actual model so you can see how it looks in use. Best of luck!

Another great source is:
                      http://www.solarcolordust.com/Site/Welcome.html …and they accept paypal!

I get some of my pigments there. I like to keep my credit cards for physical shopping. The service is great, and you often get free gifts with each order.

Purplecat
                      Participant

I buy the automotive flake and put it in my own airbrush medium at the concentration I like.

If you’re not familiar with mixing your own paint I wouldn’t recommend this method…but I have issues with fluid paints going bad due to my not using large quantities of single colors, so this works wonderfully for me.

With expensive colors I prefer this because pigments never solidify or go bad.

Plus it’s only $20 for 4oz. Which is pigment alone…this makes a much larger volume when you’re talking about fluid paint.

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/flakes/silverholo/silverholo.htm

this flake is somewhat larger than the windstone rainbow flake, and needs applied in a couple of light layers, without over pigmenting your medium for it to work properly.

Also, keep in mind that this website has several different types of metal flake. In case you try to work with larger flakes, I had to refit my airbrush with a .5mm conversion set because some flakes will not go through a standard .35mm

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.