PYOs and pastels?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone PYOs and pastels?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Landipan
    Participant

I have a little bit of experience with painting pastels when customizing model horses and was wondering if the same methods could be used on PYOs/Gypsum?

When painting model horses you take the shaved down pastels, or pure pigment powders, and brush it on then seal it with a coat of spray. Usually by the end of the painting you’ve sealed the model at least a dozen(or hundreds) of times, and I wonder if gypsum can still ‘breathe’ through so many layers of sealer?

TIA for any answers!

*Formerly meowmix101
      Not currently open for PYO commissions.

the answer is yes. There are a lot of artists on the forum that use and have used pastel, myself included. I wouldn’t be surprised if any show up in the swap. Some did last year! I love pastel. Some even use them in combination with other mediums. I have used them with acrylics as well as inks in the past.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
      www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
      Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Landipan
      Participant

That’s awesome, I’m glad to hear that pastels/pigments work fine on the PYOs! Now that gives me even more ideas for my first PYO.

Thanks! And if anyone would like to share their pastel work on windstones here I’d love to see ’em!

*Formerly meowmix101

Lauren
        Participant

I would love to hear how people seal their statues after working them in pastel. Do you use spray, or can you use the liquid kind you paint on?

Landipan
          Participant

I don’t think you can use any kind of liquid for sealing, it’d smear the pastels which can be smudged or rubbed off very easily until sprayed. On my model horses that’s I’ve CMed I use Dullcote spray sealor.

*Formerly meowmix101

Kujacker
            Participant

Here is the piece I did for the last PYO swap. He is done in pastels.

Landipan
              Participant

I love seeing that the pastel translate awesomely on a PYO, Kujacker!

*Formerly meowmix101

BDW
                Participant

That is awesome! What did you use to seal it Kujacker?

Kujacker
                  Participant

That is awesome! What did you use to seal it Kujacker?

Sorry, I was off the forum for quite awhile there.

I use a standard spray matte fixative while working. The final coat is either a spray or brush on coat of gloss. I have a few other piece posted in my gallery that are painted with pastels as well.
                    You do end up coating the statue in many, many layers of fixative and pastels. Seriously. It’s a wonder there is any detail left on the statue haha. Also every time you spray the fixative a little bit of the pastels blow off with it…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.