PYO Keeper Mockups!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone PYO Keeper Mockups!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    KingBeast
    Participant

Hey guys! I’m planning on picking up a few pyo keepers or the smaller dragons when they drop back in the shop again- and I’ve gotten the itch to mock up a few design ideas in PS. Generally looking to share them, but if ya’ll have any advice, crits, tips or techniques to share I’m more than welcome for them. I’m no newbie to art (graduated with six years of it lmfao) so I definitely know the basic rundown and technical skills, I’ve just never tackled any PYO’s before!

Pearl
      Tropidelight
      Blight

Also, does anyone have any idea where to get horror eyes in 11 mm? I can find them in 10. I can find them in 12. I cannot find them in 11.

Absolute Godtier wishlist
      Contusion Male Dragon painted by Brandi Wise
      Bantam Kickstarter dragon #102, "Alien", red/black colors with black eyes. Clone is fine. If you get one and want to get rid of it, PLEASE message me.

tig3r06
      Participant

Dreaming Tree Studio for eyes. She’s great!
        http://www.dreamingtreestudio.com/

Bodine
        Participant

Those are nice.Love the 3rd one.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Mika
          Participant

Little basic tips for painting…

Use good quality paint on them – sometimes the really cheap stuff won’t even really stick to the gypsum. Oil paints are about the only type of paint that isn’t recommended for them; it doesn’t “breathe” with the gypsum iirc.

Varnishing before antiquing works well since it’s pretty easy to rub the bottom layer of paint off the edge of the scales.

The first mock-up is really nice; I like the soft pastel look of it.

pipsxlch
            Participant

I really like the 3rd one- though I’d like a more ‘normal’ eye in it, not something horrific… maybe orange eyes, or gold ones, maybe like snake or frog eyes. And I think I’d go for dark brown antiquing on it. I’m no artist though, and your vision is your own!

The first one would probably be very popular, lots of pastel and rainbow lovers around. You lay the colors well. The wings on it are especially nice, and I like the idea of purple antiquing on it.

I think DreamingTree Studios will make custom eyes if they don’t have what you want. Many people here use their eyes, and the business owner has done Windstone PYOs so should be able to help you with selection.

I second that you get better results with better paints, go for fluid body acrylics. People have used pastel powders, inks, watercolors and stains with good effect.

Like Mika said, avoid paints that don’t breathe, like oils and enamels. They don’t react as well with the gypsum. And heavy body paints that tend to obscure the details.

Can’t wait to see your work!

Nightcrow
              Participant

The stripey one is knock-your-socks-off amazing! So detailed, and so colorful – love it!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Angelika_Zen
                Participant

Hmmm, I can’t see what you guys are talking about…I wanna see “knock-your-socks off amazing”…

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

KingBeast
                  Participant

Thank you everyone! I look forward to when I’ll be able to pick up some PYO’s so I can get started. I’ll definitely check out dreamingtreestudios for the eyes, though if I have to get 10’s for the eyes (I found a seller through etsy that has an exact pair I want) I dont think a 1mm difference would be too noticable especially if I paint up the difference and with that specific horror paintjob.

And Angelika, are you just unable to see the pictures themselves? I’ll grab some links for you!

Pearl PYO
                    Tropical PYO (the one Nightcrow mentioned)
                    And Blight, with the horror eyes

Tropical is actually based off a character from one of my roleplay forums I was on a while back, I’ve always loved that design and I think it could lend well to a PYO. My digital lines are sloppy because it’s just a mockup but they would be neat and tidy on the actual one itself. If I were to pick any one of them to start with it would probably be blight.I think that one would have the most forgiveness with the palette and color usage for the first time pyo creator. Followed by pearl, and then tropi. If any of them turn out worth their salt, I may consider taking comms of them.

Bantam Kickstarter dragon #102, "Alien", red/black colors with black eyes. Clone is fine. If you get one and want to get rid of it, PLEASE message me.

Mika
                    Participant

If you do decide to go with 10mm eyes, 2-part epoxy sculpt can be helpful to modify the socket – it’s the default item people use here to repair large chips and missing pieces from damaged figures. A 10mm eye in a Keeper leaves a fair amount of space all around the eye socket compared to the 11mm (just checked with a Keeper I had).

LZ
                      Participant

A smaller eye in a socket may add to the horror, because then it would maybe be more of a sunken-eye effect?

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Ela_Hara
                        Participant

Maybe even build up the socket to make the eye(s) bulging?

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Angelika_Zen
                          Participant

Thanks for the links!! Ummmm I’ll pre-order Pearl please! 😉 Im kidding, but not really, lol!!

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Kim
                            Blocked

Those are so cool! I like the pastel one. What program did you use to colour them online? I’d like to do that on my computer too to see what colours would look good but don’t know how.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

KingBeast
                              Participant

Kim, I used photoshop. Its my program of choice to edit and draw with. I’m definitely more of a digital illustrator but its handy for a situation like this.

All I did to do it was import the windstone image, then use various layer styles like overlay, color, and multiply to lay on the colors with clipping masks enabled. They don’t work 100% and that’s why some of them look a little…unfinished (maybe is the right word). But for a mockup, they get the job done!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.