Pumpkin Chili Recipe – Super Easy, Filling and Inexpensive

Home Forums Miscellany Food Pumpkin Chili Recipe – Super Easy, Filling and Inexpensive

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kim
    Blocked

I just tried out this chili recipe tonight and it was super easy, didn’t take long and the ingredients are very filling and not to mention healthy! It’s also a great cheap meal without meat, especially if you want to feed a bunch of people. This is the website it came from. http://www.supremehealthinfo.com/common/news/news_results.asp?task=TopStory&id=13332&storeID=2849361C17EC46D5B659B30E2EBF294A

There are also recipes on there for Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Soup and even Pumpkin Ravioli!

Here is the recipe copied from the website.

PUMPKIN CHILI

Ingredients

4 cups water

1 (15-ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes

1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained

1 (15-ounce) can pureed pumpkin

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped red bell pepper

1 cup uncooked bulgar

1 cup chopped Serrano chili pepper

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Place all ingredients in a large saucepan, stir well to combine, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-low and simmer, covered, 35 minutes. Serve warm.

**Now for a variation, you can use fresh pumpkin if you have it. You can use mixed beans if you like something more than just kidney beans and you could cook dry beans and then add then instead of canned beans. I didn’t use the Serrano chili pepper but I added a cup of chopped mushrooms about half way through and added extra water because the bulgar expands a lot. I also added a bit more salt. (Try and use Sea salt or Himalayan salt.) I also sprinkled a bunch of fresh ground black pepper in to give it more flavour and sprinkled some Turmeric in because it’s good for you. I stirred the chili every few minutes and found once boiled it seemed to cook well on the 2 or 3 setting so just in between low and medium.

We actually doubled the recipe because our cans of pumpkin and tomatoes were twice the size it called for and we had to use two pots. After serving two plate fulls, we have enough left to feed probably 8-10 people. If you make the recipe as stated you could probably feed 4-6 easily. The bulgar, beans and mushrooms are great for protein and the tomatoes, pumpkin, pepper, onion and garlic are great for their vitamin A and C content and antioxidants. We also baked a couple of potatoes in the oven that we served on the side topped with olive oil and chives or you could put the chili on the potato for a chili baked potato.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Falcolf
      Participant

This looks delicious! I’m going to have to find some bulgar and Serrano chili peppers!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Kim
        Blocked

Awesome! Let me know how you like it! We got our bulgar from the bulk bin section of the grocery store but if you can’t find it there try an organic or health foods store. The bulgar makes it really filling and you wouldn’t even know it’s vegan! I think you could probably use quinoa instead of bulgar too and I might try it with that next time. You don’t have to use that pepper if you can’t find it as it has enough kick without it but if you like more spice you could use another kind of pepper or cayenne pepper. We used mushrooms instead of the chili pepper and it was good. You can use different beans too if you don’t have kidney beans. We used a can with a mix of 6 different beans. You wouldn’t know there was pumpkin it it but it makes it nice and thick and healthy too! Also we baked a couple of potatoes in the oven and had them on the side with olive oil and chives and it was a good balanced meal!

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Quinoa would be good for those of us that can’t eat wheat… or, if you soak some lentils overnight until they get ‘tails’, then add them, they will help thicken it too! Soaking/sprouting them makes them easier to digest (same with all legumes, but lentils are the most gentle on the system).

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Kim
            Blocked

That’s a good idea. I also have recipes for lentil soup and a chick pea curry dish so will post those too when I have a chance.

Looks yummy!

Natasha
              Participant

I do almost the identical recipe but instead of Seranos and Bulger I add a small can of corn, a small can of sliced olives and Ground turkey. It’s great with sour cream, avocado and cheese.

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
                ANY Red Eyed Unis
                ANY Test Paint Bat
                UNIS:
                The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
                Male- Snow Leopard TP
                White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
                Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
                Mother: Okapi
                Gothic - Mahogany
                PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
                DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.