Pumpkin Cheesecake

Home Forums Miscellany Food Pumpkin Cheesecake

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Skigod377
    Participant

But but but…your hands get…dirty and slimy… 😯 Just kidding! I just think its alot of work when you can just open a can instead!

Starbreeze
      Participant

Frozen, you always out shine us with the cooking…you should’ve been a chef… 😀
        However, I’m with Ski, it’s canned pumpkin for me. I don’t have the patience to deal with a real pumpkin, although I’m sure a lot of the flavor is lost in the canning process….

frozendragon
        Participant

skigod377 wrote:

But but but…your hands get…dirty and slimy… 😯 Just kidding! I just think its alot of work when you can just open a can instead!

it’s not that much work…..and I hardly ever get dirty or slimy….

The problem with using real pumpkin is that a lot of the pumpkins one gets around here (at least, from supermarkets…) are not eating pumpkins – they’re pretty watery and tasteless. They’ve mostly been grown for size.

And because I mentioned it, here’s my mock-pumpkin pie recipes:

Mock-Pumpkin pie #1: Sweet Potato Pie

About a pound of peeled, sliced sweet potato
          1/2 cup of softened butter
          1 cup brown sugar
          1/2 cup milk
          2 eggs
          1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
          1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
          1 unbaked pie crust

DIRECTIONS
          Boil sweet potato chunks until they are soft – poke them with a fork a few times to see if they’re done.

Mash the sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with a mixer. Stir in the sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools.

Mock-Pumpkin “Guess what this pie is” #2

3/4 cup sugar
          2 cups chopped carrots
          1 whole orange or tangerine
          1 cinnamon stick
          a couple of cloves
          2 eggs
          1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
          3/4 cup milk
          1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell

DIRECTIONS
          Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Press the pie crust into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
          Bake the pie shell for 3 to 5 minutes, just to firm it up, then remove from the oven, and set aside.

Mostly fill a saucepan with water and bring it to the boil. Once boiling, aggressively attack your whole orange with a sharp knife – stab it several times through the skin. Put the whole orange, peel and all, into the boiling water with the cinnamon stick and the cloves, and let boil until the orange is starting to lose its colour – your water should now be yellow-orange with juice and orange oil. Place carrots into the pan and cook until very tender. Poke them with a fork to find out.

Drain water, take out the orange, the cinnamon and the cloves and mash carrots until smooth using a food processor, or potato masher. I suggest the food processor if I’m honest.

In a medium bowl, mix together the carrot puree, sugar and eggs. Mix in the cinnamon and vanilla. Gradually stir in the milk. Pour the mixture into the partially baked pie shell.

Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes at the lower temperature, or until firm.

Either pie should be served with whipped cream, never custard or runny cream.

Skigod377
          Participant

Ooooh! Thank you! My bf absolutely adores sweet potatoe pie. Thanks for the recipe. Im gonna make that for him when he comes home!

I’ve always wanted to try a sweet potato pie! That’s next up on my list…

I have to admit that, of the two, I prefer the carrot pie – ingredients are easier to get hold of and it’s just so NICE!

Ski, I might have to take you up on that canned pumpkin at some point… it’d be nice if I could make a real pumpkin pie for a change!

Skigod377
            Participant

No problem! Just let me know!!

Skigod377
              Participant

Mmmmmm…this sweet potatoe pie is in the oven right now…the filling tastes gooooooddddd!!

skigod377 wrote:

Mmmmmm…this sweet potatoe pie is in the oven right now…the filling tastes gooooooddddd!!

Lucky you … and surprise of surprises, the Christmas present my mom sent me from the states included four tins of Pumpkin Pie Filling mix… so I might just get to have pumpkin pie sooner than I thought!

Skigod377
                Participant

YAY!!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.