fbpx

“Pokemon” game advice/opinions wanted

Home Forums Miscellany Community “Pokemon” game advice/opinions wanted

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pdlucich
    Participant

I’ve been playing Pokemon for, er, “a while”. I’ve gotten pretty tired of having to shell out yet more to nintendo for yet ANOTHER platform every few years. I was rather disappointed in Ultra (in fact it’s the only one I never finished) and I’m on the verge of swearing off the games entirely. Before I do that, I thought I’d ask any players here what they thought of the new game, what they think of the Switch, and if they think the Switch or the Switch Lite would be the better buy for someone who doesn’t play that much.

It's not hoarding if it's books!
      Cat hair -- condiment and fashion accessory!

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

I am obsessed with Pokemon Sword and Shield. (and before that Let’s go Eevee) I actually got both systems and both games so I could play one and my boyfriend could play the other. Honestly, the console switch and the switch lite relly isn’t all that different. You just can’t hook it up and play on your TV and the screen is a little bit smaller on the lite. That’s about it. I think it may have a touch less internal storage but I’m not positive on that one. I got the lite in an attempt to trade between games (like I used to with my older handheld devices and Pokemon games of the past) and it doesn’t work that way unless you are on a separate internet network/wifi. So that made the purchase moot, but it’s still nice to have the lite as a back up.
        You can’t use the pokeball plus with the lite, but you’re not missing out on anything there. The games are stellar, you’ll enjoy them.
        There is a benefit to Playing Pokemon GO (the app) for Let’s Go Eevee and Pikachu, but not with Sword and Shield.

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

dashesndots
        Participant

I enjoyed Pikachu: Let’s Go, but it was like Red/Blue “Lite”. And with the catch mechanics changed to the more Pokemon Go style encounters, it did occasionally get really annoying when throwing balls, mostly because I suck at it haha. Not sure if hardcore Pokemon people even count those though.

I really liked Shield a lot, though. It’s very close to the gameplay mechanics of the other true entries of the series. I still haven’t finished it, but I’m leveling up/filling out my pokedex in the Wild Area now before I take on the Championship Cup (replaced the Elite 4). The Dynamax stuff is fun. Also they just announced an expansion pack for it, part of it coming in June and the rest in the fall. It’s another $30, but it’ll open up two huge new areas and have new pokemon as well as more returning pokemon from the National Dex that weren’t in the initial release.

I played Pokemon Sun (still haven’t finished it, sigh), Pokemon X and Pokemon Platinum before this, as well as Red a realllllllly long time ago. Honestly I prefer playing it on the big screen, although the switch being portable is a huge advantage as well (one of my friends plays it mostly as a portable, while I park myself on the couch in front of the tv). I honestly bought the system just for the Pokemon games, so if you enjoy them overall, I’d say it’s worth it.

Landipan
          Participant

Yeah it sucks to have to buy a new console if you don’t play many games, but there should be at least 3 (right?) gens of Pokemon games to come out for the Switch era so at least you know that even if there’s only one game out right now for you to play on the Switch, in time there will be more. I myself don’t play many games other than Pokemon, I mostly rotate between Pokemon, Animal Crossing(omg it’s coming out in 2 months!!!!) and Harvest Moon, so for me, it’s worth it for the enjoyment I know I’ll get out these games.

As for the current Pokemon Games, I’ve just recently finished Shield and I really did enjoy this new gen, there were some things I didn’t like (such as removing the ability to pet your Pokemon! forced exp. share and the story plot was a bit bare, I rant more about these things on my Twitter so I’ll hold back here lol) but in all it was a really good time, it’s a gorgeous region with an awesome roster of new Pokemon, I don’t regret buying one bit!

I’m also excited for the new DLC expansion pack, at first I didn’t love the idea of spending another $30 dollars, but then I came around to that DLC packs will be replacing 3rd versions so I’ve accepted it. The Galarian form legendary bird trio looks amazing, I’m also hoping we’ll see more regional forms of regular pokemon.

I play on a Switch Lite, I’m sure that playing on the TV would be great, but I figured that I likely wouldn’t do it that often since I’m so used to handheld devices so decided to save a bit of cash and go for the Lite.

*Formerly meowmix101
            Not currently open for PYO commissions.

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

OMG! dashesndots, I have spend SO MUCH TIME in the freaking Wild Area LOL! The expansion is apparently including a BUNCH of kegendary Pokémon and also new Galarian forms of the 3 legendary birds. Sounds pretty cool!

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

pdlucich
              Participant

Thanks for taking the time, folks! I’ll probably be thinking about it a while longer.

It's not hoarding if it's books!
                Cat hair -- condiment and fashion accessory!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.