Poison oak sucks!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Poison oak sucks!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    wolflodge100
    Participant

wolflodge100
      Participant

I have it growing in my yard and no one will cut it. So I went out and cut some of it, being very carefull, changing my clothes ect and I still got it. UGH! πŸ™

DantheDragon
        Participant

iawtc

I went hiking a few weeks ago, and since I’m VERY sensitive to it I was careful to get nowhere near the oak. STILL got it too. *sigh*

Purplecat
          Participant

O_O I dont get poison ivy bad…but i swear Chris gets it if he thinks to hard about the plant… πŸ™„ when he gets it though it doesnt go away til he goes to the hospital and gets a shot…it just spreads and spreads. I hope it disappears quickly for you. Take care, and dont scratch! πŸ˜† πŸ™‚

BDW
            Participant

😯 Oh no not poison oak!

I’ve had poison Ivy for 6 years now and if what they say is true I only have one year left and goodbye hitch!
              Every spring as I go around the flower beds (before we flood) and see what is going on, I get poison Ivy. I know where it is and the leaves have not growned yet in early spring and still got it! πŸ˜• WTF!
              I have some in the flower bed and on the lawn. When I cut the grass, no matter how careful I am it gets worse. Like at this very moment I have it. πŸ™„ Oh well it’s part of my life now and I just live with it and don’t scratch.
              My boyfriend could roll in it and would not get it.
              Where as I have it all summer right onto fall.

Bob

DantheDragon wrote:

iawtc

I went hiking a few weeks ago, and since I’m VERY sensitive to it I was careful to get nowhere near the oak. STILL got it too. *sigh*
                OMG your Blue 2 headed dragon in your signature pooped a full grown chicken!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

I have not had PO in years and NEVER had PI and hope top keep it that way

I am sorry to hear about the poison oak. The folks who don’t usually get it often have american indian heritage somewhere. Me, I get it pretty bad if I touch it, my brother gets it from the pollen in the air.

The plant when dormant still exudes the oils. Bummer, huh?

Best thing to prevent it…wash with Tecnu soap immediately after exposure, that stuff is the best!

Also, a good way to get rid of it is to borrow a goat or sheep, they love it, doesn’t hurt them, and they will mow it down fast. My old landlord had a herd of sheep and goats and we didn’t have a single poison oak plant on the 50 acre property once they were done.

Anyway, the tecnu soap helps after exposure and rash too. Wash with cool water, hot water will only make it worse and will spread it.

My brother and I had it one year at the end of our summer visit with Dad, can you imagine 2 miserable rashy kids in the back of an old 1970 Grand Torino with no air conditioning on a 12 hour drive through California in August? It was miserable, let me tell you.

So I feel with you guys.

Benedryl also helps alot with the allergic reaction, helps calm it and dry it up a bit.

I’ve had to learn all the tricks in self defense.

Kyrin

Starbreeze
                Participant

Sorry about the poison oak. I’m allergic to it too. I hope the itch is going away. πŸ™

Andrea
                  Participant

Kyrin wrote:

I am sorry to hear about the poison oak. The folks who don’t usually get it often have american indian heritage somewhere.

Kyrin

I have never heard that before. Interesting.
                    I’ve rolled in either poison oak or ivy. Whichever we have here in California. Didn’t affect me. I don’t want to chance it now though. I’ve heard your body changes it’s resistances every 7 years or so. Sometimes what you haven’t been allergic to before, you can become allergic to in the future.
                    I am allergic to bees though

siberakh1
                    Participant

Ick. I’m sorry wolflodge!

If you can’t get the soap Kyrin recommended, my dad recommends using baking soda and vinegar. Saturate the baking soda with vinegar, so that there is still a bit of the baking soda left a the bottom (so it looks a bit like a salt scrub). Apply about 10 times a day (yes, this often). This should dry it up in a day or so. It’s worked for my dad, brothers and who he has recommended it to and tried it. Worked like a charm!

If you are really hard up to get rid of the poison oak, you get 2-4-D for broadleaf plants. You should be able to get this at Walmart or Lowes or something similar. It won’t hurt the grass, but you’d need to keep pets and small kids away from it for a few days, or until it rains (corral it off if needed). It should do the trick though. Goats work great too if you can borrow one (but don’t kiss them afterwards πŸ˜† ).

Blackdesertwind wrote:

I’ve had poison Ivy for 6 years now and if what they say is true I only have one year left and goodbye hitch!

If you mean itch, nope. Old wives’ tale. My dad has had it more times than he can remember. Each time is just as itchy as the last.

That really sucks! The last time my dad got poison oak, it seemed to last for two weeks @_@

darjeb
                      Participant

I have never had either poison oak or poison ivy but my father used to get it no matter what he did. One spring he took a series of shot that were supposed to prevent it and he still got poison oak. It makes a person miserable so I hope you get rid of it fast.

Skigod377
                        Participant

Holy cow! Im so sorry. I didnt know it could last for years, either. I dont think I have ever had it. My mom has and it lasted for about 4 days.

My kids seem to get it every year no matter what we do. Stop it in one spot and it grows in another. Almost as bad as Kudzu 😯 πŸ˜†

Less than a day left Splitsplitwhite

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.