fbpx

Pearl-Ex pigments

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Pearl-Ex pigments

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MandBsMom
    Participant

So, I FINALLY found Pearl-Ex powder pigments at my local Micheals. (And I rocked the 40% off coupon too!) I was wondering, for those of you who use them, do you mix them in with regular pigmented acrylics or just plain clear mediums? I’m looking for some tips in using them, I’m hoping that they will add some more sparkle to my pieces.

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

Prezaurian
      Participant

From my experience using them, it depends on what you want to do. If you want some sparkle added to a pigmented paint, add it to the pigmented paint. You can sort of create your own metallic paint in this manner. Adding them to a clear medium is a good way to create your own brand of interference paint. Nice for adding a bit of sparkle to your already painted creation. A little powder goes a long way when you use it in these ways.

Still another way of using them is to place them directly on a sculpt instead of using paint. I have not done this myself (leaving this for more talented forum members who live in less humid locations), but it seems similar to how you would use ground up pastels for painting. Bodine has created some really beautiful PYOs with Pearl-Ex and Kujacker is very talented with her use of pastel powders. I’d say they’re the experts to ask if you want to try that method.

MandBsMom
        Participant

I didn’t even think about just doing a PYO with pastels/powdered pigments. I’ve done a couple mini resin horses with pastels, so I’m comfortable with the process. I’m excited to start using them. I’m definitely going to be including them somehow on the March swap piece.

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

MandBsMom
          Participant

Wow! The scales on that kirin are amazing! I’m SO eager to get started with these.

This is a mini resin horse that I did back in 2006(!). I did him in pastels. Started with pale yellow and then built up the color in layers to the red bay, then black for the legs and body shading. So I am familiar with doing it that way. I can’t wait to get started! And I’m going to have to use another coupon and get the second pack of colors!

Bodine
            Participant

Thank you Pre! Very thoughtful of you to give me such kudos.
              Here are two examples of mine with powders.I use them in dry form,not added to anything.It occurred to me that they are just like powder make-up so that is how I do them.I use a make up brush and it only takes a little to go a long way.I paint it black for dark results,white for more pastel look. I do not let the base dry for too long.If it is not very slightly tacky it won’t adhere to it.It just falls off.I spray clear spray very lightly and it will change the color.Add as many layers you like and spray lightly in between.The blending effects are awesome.It takes a little practice but I love it.It is my signature way.Try it and write me if you need some more info.
              This is Aurora,a pyo wolf I did for a member.I painted it black and added the color then went back to do the “shadow black”.
              Image and video hosting by TinyPic
              These are Mom and baby Foo Peacock.It is all in powders over black base.
              Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

siberakh1
              Participant

Yes, you can brush Pearl-Ex straight onto a piece for different effects. I did a pyo kirin a while back where all the scales were done in Pearl-Ex layered on, then sealed, then added a layer, then sealed, etc., then I painted the fur. I’ve done the same on asian ball-joint dolls for a bit of sparkle or a pearly finish. I have also mixed Pearl-Ex paints with paint, a clear medium, or brushed it on top of already applied paint to have different affects on paint. They can be a lot of fun to play with!

Found the Kirin. The scales have no paint on them.

I also did this dragon with paint and applied pearl-Ex to some of the paint and brushed pearl-Ex on top of the paint to mute out the color a bit. He really did turn out quite luminous in dim lighting outside.

Note: Both either have a base coat of white beneath or no base coat at all.

siberakh1
                Participant

If working with the Pearl-Ex powders like pastel powders (applying the powder, seal the layer, repeat), some colors will pick up much more readily. The lighter gold on the kirin took twice to three times as many layers to finish than the darker colors I used. It didn’t layer up as quickly or easily as the other colors, so there is a bit of playing around involved when using them in that manner. 🙂 If you’ve used pastel powders, you’re also aware how those get EVERYWHERE. Same with the Pearl-Ex powders. I keep a few damp paper towels handy to clean stray marks and clean fingers. Since the weather was nice and fairly breeze free, I did the kirin’s scales outside (to avoid the unnecessary yelling of the mess I’d make from my mom, even if I could clean it up). The dragon was completed with a different method, so he was done inside.

KaytanaPhoenix
                  Participant

I’m one that mixes the pearl-ex into my pigments, I like a glow to my paint than an outright metallic sheen, and I haven’t been brave enough to try to apply pearl-ex dry… I make enough of a mess sometimes when mixing XD but I’m sure some day I’ll give it a try, when I can do it outside on a warm breeze-free day 🙂

When I add it to paint, I keep my clear medium close at hand, cause depending on how much powder goes into my paint, I sometimes get the paint too clumpy (too dry) so I’ll add a lil bit of medium in there to help keep the paint at the consistency I want. My recent wolf has a lot of pearl-ex on her! and I love the look!

Kujacker
                    Participant

This was my first attempt with pastels many years ago. I regret trading him away (purplecat here has him, if she didn’t sell him), but maybe I’ll try my hand at him again one day (his face was too dark for my liking).

The purple on his wings are the pearl ex.

This is a more recent one, he was for a swap. He has pearl ex on him, but it’s more to add a bit of sparkle to him. I like using pearl ex for that purpose the most.

Since you’re experienced with pastels already, the pearl ex will be easy for you 🙂

MandBsMom
                      Participant

Bodine, that Foo dog is awesome! I haven’t yet tried a black based PYO. I only have one in route to me now, but the ideas I have keep telling me to get more blanks!
                        Kujacker, the wolf looks fantastic! I absolutely LOVE the colors on the keeper. I just bought a PYO from Hannah that had a similar color palette, just less white.

Thank you guys for the tips and pictures. All of you are great and very encouraging!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.