Paypal Issues – Class Action Settlement notice

Home Forums Miscellany Community Paypal Issues – Class Action Settlement notice

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mary
    Participant

I noticed from some of the other forum threads that some have been having issues with Paypal putting “hold” on accounts disrupting purchases and such.

I just got an email from Paypal, that there has been a class action lawsuit settlement proposed. Here is the email text which tells how to join in the settlement;

“NOTICE OF CLASS-ACTION SETTLEMENT.

THIS NOTICE MAY AFFECT YOUR RIGHTS. PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY.

A settlement has been reached in a class action in which the plaintiffs allege, among other things, that PayPal improperly handled disputed transactions on PayPal accounts and improperly placed holds and reserves on accounts or closed or suspended accounts. Plaintiffs also allege that PayPal failed to provide annual error-resolution notices and monthly account statements under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act.

You are a member of the Settlement Class if you had an active PayPal account between April 19, 2006 and Nov. 5, 2015. Certain Settlement Class Members who had a hold or reserve placed on their account and/or who had their account closed or suspended by PayPal are eligible to receive a monetary payment upon submission of a valid claim form.

This notice summarizes the proposed settlement. For the precise terms and conditions of the settlement, please see the Settlement Agreement available at http://www.accountholdsettlement.com/ or by visiting the office of the Clerk of the Court for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 1301 Clay Street, Oakland, CA 94612, between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding Court holidays.

PLEASE DO NOT TELEPHONE THE COURT OR THE COURT CLERK’S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ABOUT THIS SETTLEMENT OR THE CLAIM PROCESS.”

Kim
      Blocked

Interesting. I guess it’s just for anyone in the US though? Too bad for any Canadians who have also had issues with paypal. I have had them freeze my account and take money out a couple times because of issues with dishonest people. A few years ago I had a case open against an ebay buyer who sent me items not as described worth over $600 and I tried to return them and she refused to take them back so I asked for a refund on the case and a lady at paypal refunded my money and closed the case. I transferred the money out but a few days later, paypal froze my account and took the money back in the form of a negative balance and demanded I pay the money back to cover the negative. This is after the case was closed because the buyer filed an appeal. I made probably 10 phone calls and emails over a period of two months and got nowhere until I finally got the email of one of the head managers of paypal and told them if they didn’t drop this and and restore my account balance back to what it was before that I would take action against them and never use their services again. Suddenly they told me they would make an exception because they appreciated my business and didn’t want it to go any further and they restored my balance back, unfroze the account and suddenly I wasn’t owing them $600 anymore. I told them that is was their responsibility to cover the loss since their agent is the one who refunded me before and that they shouldn’t just be able to take the money back and claim they made a mistake. Now they did it to me once again with the most recent issue with the buyer chargebacks, refunded my money and then took it back a few days later. I don’t understand how they are allowed to do this but one way or another I will get that money back again. Maybe we should all find a different payment method to use if so many of us are having issues with paypal.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Dragoneer_88
        Participant

I got that email too. Iv’e never had problems with my account (to date) so not sure why I recieved it. Maybe they’re sending it to everyone regardless if you had account issues or not.

etruscan
          Participant

I got that email too. I’ve never had problems with my account (to date) so not sure why I recieved it. Maybe they’re sending it to everyone regardless if you had account issues or not.

I think so – maybe everybody who is registered with PayPal now? I also got the message recently and I haven’t had any trouble with my PayPal account (knock wood).

Landipan
            Participant

I didn’t get an email from Paypal, I also have had no issues either with them.

*Formerly meowmix101
              Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Falcolf
              Participant

I don’t think I’ve had that email. Then again, my Paypal account is older than that.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

etruscan
                Participant

I don’t know what determines the timing of email notices about the settlement. I got mine on 14 January.

Mary
                  Participant

Kim, I think the type of problems you had in getting Paypal resolution probably created the class action. I’m certain you’re not alone, although I’ve not yet had any problems with Paypal holds. I think the class action email notice is sent to everyone that possibly could be included in the class, whether or not you’ve had any issues.

Was it limited to only US Paypal holders? That’d be surprising. I owned stocks in a Canadian company that had a class action lawsuit filed, and it didn’t proclude Americans from filing.

Mary
                    Participant

I got that email too. I’ve never had problems with my account (to date) so not sure why I recieved it. Maybe they’re sending it to everyone regardless if you had account issues or not.

I think so – maybe everybody who is registered with PayPal now? I also got the message recently and I haven’t had any trouble with my PayPal account (knock wood).

The email was probably sent out to anyone who used a Paypal account during the period in question, whether or not they had “holds” placed on their accounts. I’ve not yet had any Paypal issues that didn’t get resolved quickly by Paypal. (knock on wood)

LuvsDragons
                      Participant

I hadn’t had a problem with Paypal until recently. Which is outside the claim dates. Does that mean I cannot file for a claim even though the same thing is still happening?

etruscan
                        Participant

This is from information about the possible settlement and procedures. Apparently nothing will be finalized until July or later but I think you can apply now if you believe you are part of the settlement class.

“You were sent an e-mail or postcard notice because PayPal’s records show that you had a PayPal account
                          between April 19, 2006 and November 5, 2015.”

I never got a message from paypal either. My account was opened in 2007. I only had 1 issue, a couple of years ago and it was resolved promptly. Ever since, things have been fine. Hmmm.

WolfenMachine
                          Participant

I never got that email either. Hmm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.