fbpx

paint drying

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

I’ve been using acryilc paints on a pyo and they seem to be taking an awfully loooooonnnngg time to dry. Even after 24 hours, there’s a tacky, sticky feeling to them. I’ve never experienced this before and I’m using the brands I’ve always used, but I don’t dare put on the sealer coat until that tacky feeling is gone. Any clues, helps, tips? The only thing I can think of that’s any different from when I’ve painted before is where we live; in Idaho, and we still have a TON of snow here….. I’m at a complete loss. Any suggestions?

twindragonsmum

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

tdm

Jodi
        Participant

We have snow here, too, and my paint dries faster than that. That’s weird. Maybe it’s a bad batch of paint.

Andrea
          Participant

Try using a blow dryer?
            I usually let my PYOs sit on the fireplace mantle while I don’t work on them. That way, the cats don’t knock them over and the pait gets dry from the heat of the fire.
            What brand are you using? They aren’t latex are they?

twindragonsmum
            Participant

Nope, not laytex. Mostly the high quality Duncan brand and some Lixquitex interference. I’ll try the mantle piece or blow drier…. I’m just really baffled πŸ˜•

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Skigod377
              Participant

Is your paint old or been subjected to extreme temps? My paint dries in less than a half hour, so that seems odd to me. Maybe its really humid where you are?

twindragonsmum
                Participant

New paint…. no humidity….everything is still frozen solid here….

twindragonsmum

tdm

dragonmedley
                  Participant

That’s weird πŸ˜•

Maybe a bad batch. Do all the colors do this, or only one? If it’s only one, then I’d get rid of it. If it’s all of them… then I don’t know what to tell you.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Lokie
                    Participant

Besides all the other possibilities other members mentioned, did you prep the piece in a different way than you usually do before you began painting?

twindragonsmum
                      Participant

Nope. Same as usual…… so do I clear coat over tacky paint? I just can’t bring myself to do that…..

twindragonsmum

tdm

Andrea
                        Participant

No, I would try the blow dryer. Maybe it’s just too cold to dry properly.

Heather
                          Participant

That’s really unusual. I’ve painted during humid periods here and still had the paint dry . . . but admittedly I do use it heavily diluted with water. I noticed that when I thinned the paint with acrylic medium (GAC 100) it dried more slowly and stayed sticky longer. I’ve been using water for the past few PYOs and getting a pretty fast drying time; the only time it dries more slowly is when I’m using the paint almost straight and rather thickly (the antiquing on Lichen was done that way).

I really wonder if the paint has destabilized or something. Try giving it a good hard shake? (I know, that’s the painter’s equivalent of thumping the TV set. :P)

Barrdwing wrote:

I really wonder if the paint has destabilized or something. Try giving it a good hard shake? (I know, that’s the painter’s equivalent of thumping the TV set. :P)

πŸ˜†
                            Ya, but it can’t hurt! πŸ™‚ Usu. my acrylics dry too fast (like sooner than I can wipe off a mistake if I don’t use retarder). 24 hours and still tacky 😯 Maybe you can sell it on ebay as some kind of special nondrying acrylic… (turns out you can sell anything on ebay πŸ˜† )

I’ve been having this problem too, and my conclusion is temperature is too cold. When I heated up my studio a bit and made sure the dragons were in front of the heater, they dried fast. Now I make sure I warm up the dragons a bit before I paint, if they are at a comfortable room temp for me, they dry pretty quick.

But when I bundle up and leave that room at 50 degrees and try to paint, drying takes an eternity.

Kyrin

twindragonsmum
                            Participant

Didn’t think of that….. You know you grow up with “if you’re cold, put on a sweater….” and the house is cold. I’ll crank up the heat and see if that helps πŸ™„ *feels very stupid and cranky and dumb right about now….*

twindragonsmum

tdm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.