fbpx

Orphan Kitten

Home Forums Miscellany Community Orphan Kitten

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Skeeterdeee
    Participant

This evening, my dad and I made a trip to Walmart (he and my little ones have the flu so we were running low on tissues and cough syrup). As we’re loading the groceries into the back of his car he says, “Do you hear a cat?”. I didn’t hear anything. He said, “There it is again! Don’t you hear the meowing??”. I thought my dad was delirious and told him he better lay down for a while when he gets home. I went to his side of the car and, lo and behold, I heard kitten mews! I looked and I looked and I saw a tiny furball hiding behind the tire of the car next to us! I got down and tried to coax him out, everytime he got close to me a car would zoom by and scare him back under the car. Eventually he got close enough for me to pick him up. He’s very small! Maybe only a couple weeks old? I wrapped him in my hoodie and brought him home. He’s a sweet little thing and looks like a tiny tiger, but he’s got a few fleas on him and his belly is distended probably from worms. I’m afraid to bring him in the house and around our other cat and kids. So until I can get him to the vet (hopefully tomorrow!) he’s in a cat carrier covered in a throw rug and snuggled in my hoodie on the front porch. I gave him a spoonful of canned kitten food and water. I just know I’m going to be up all night worried about him out there! How did a tiny kitty end up in a Walmart parking lot?? Other than the parasites, he looks like he’s been taken care of. I think someone dumped him there. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ
      **Pictures to come tomorrow night!**

Misty
      Participant

Poor little guy, hopefully he just needs a little TLC >.<

Ann

Awe, yay for saving baby kitties! It was probably a stray (stray cats like to hang out at our garden center) or someone dumped him (or threw him out of a car, it’s disgusting how often this happens).

Chloe
          Participant

Good for you for saving his/her life! Now at least the poor thing has a chance to find a forever home. I hope the vet is understanding that you rescued the kittie and helps you with the cost, or sets you up with a rescue group that can help you “foster” the kitty until a permanent home can be found. If you don’t keep it!

Good luck and Hurray for you and animals everywhere!

Skeeterdeee
            Participant

…or sets you up with a rescue group that can help you “foster” the kitty until a permanent home can be found. If you don’t keep it!

I have a friend whose elderly kitty had to be put down about 6 weeks ago, and I thought I might ask her if she would like him. The loss of her cat was really hard on her…but as soon as I showed him to my hubby he fell in love! So the deal is that we show the kitten to our friend and if she falls in love we will give him to her. If our friend isn’t ready to have another cat, he’s staying with us. ๐Ÿ˜€

Falcolf
              Participant

Good on you for rescuing that poor baby and good luck helping him feel better! ๐Ÿ˜€ Give him lotsa TLC!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Chloe
                Participant

I have a friend whose elderly kitty had to be put down about 6 weeks ago, and I thought I might ask her if she would like him. The loss of her cat was really hard on her…but as soon as I showed him to my hubby he fell in love! So the deal is that we show the kitten to our friend and if she falls in love we will give him to her. If our friend isn’t ready to have another cat, he’s staying with us. ๐Ÿ˜€

:bigsmile:

Carolyn
                  Participant

People dump kittens in places they think someone will take them . They do it because they don’t care what happens to the tiny life . Good for you saving the tiny thing . I hope your friend wants him . Could heal her .

Scathach
                    Participant

Yesterday seemed to be a day for rescues from under cars. (I posted a skunk rescue in another thread).

Your little kittie is very lucky that you came along to save him. Obviously if he stays with you or goes to your firend he will be hugely loved. The best part, too is that he’ll love you all right back.

I can’t wait to see the photos.

Life is beautiful.

Lupuslunae
                      Participant

For the fleas, (and anything else, ack I once had a foster kitty with lice!) usually you can put like one tiny tiny drop of any flea medication you’d use for an adult on them. Just roll the usual eyedropper in the medicine and then touch to the back of his neck, no need to fill the eyedropper with anything. I’ve done this for kittens as young as five weeks with no problems, and other foster mommies I’ve work with have done it on even younger ones. But if it scares you to use a flea med on him, most pet stores have really fine combs that can catch the fleas or anything else (again, ack lice!) in his fur so you can brush the worst of it out, though it won’t do anything for flea eggs.

So sweet of you to save him. :bigsmile: So many people can just walk past when a tiny animal is in need. My policy is if I can get the animal to approach me, I am obligated to offer aide.

Setsunawolf
                        Participant

Yay!!!!Kitty save. ๐Ÿ™‚

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                          Sun Dragon Koi #3

shatterglass4kx
                          Participant

Thank you for saving a poor soul in need!

For fleas, I have used regular Dawn dish detergent with great effects. It kills fleas really well.

What a wonderful deed.

Heather
                            Participant

If you do use a flea medication, be CAREFUL about which one you choose. Some over-the-counter meds are not labeled very clearly, and are intended only for dogs: they can kill cats. Other meds are labeled for use in cats but too dangerous to use on such a tiny kitten. Two over-the-counter meds that are safe when used carefully and sparingly are Frontline spray (the one specifically labeled for cats and kittens as well as dogs and puppies), and feline Advantage (but never, ever Advantix).

Otherwise, the Dawn dish soap bath is a pretty decent way to go; just be sure you rinse the little critter off really well, and use warm water (not hot or cool). The vet can help you sort out the flea control thing tomorrow, and advise you on what constitutes a safe dosage.

If the flea/worm problem is really bad, this kid could be pretty anemic, so a trip to the vet is a really good idea and I’m so glad that’s already in the game plan. He’s lucky you found him!

Trava
                              Participant

I wash orphaned kittens in dawn with warm water and a warm washcloth. I don’t put them in the basin of the sink, I hold them the whole time. They seem to tolerate baths better that way. I dry them off and give them a treat afterwards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.