fbpx

Oh my lovely spine….sigh

Home Forums Miscellany Community Oh my lovely spine….sigh

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Purplecat
    Participant

Ok, so, just got back from the doc. I’ve had some pretty bad pain lately in my lower back, I’ve always had some lower back pain, but lately it’s gotten rather hideous. They did xrays and I have a leg deformity. Apparently the lower back pain I’ve had for years and attributed to other odds and ends had nothing to do with miscarraige, pregnancy, falls etc etc.

One leg is significantly longer than the other, and it’s caused my spine to twist….the xray looked awful, like my vertebrae was trying to spiral. Sooo, the vertebrae in the midst of this twisting is having more pressure put on it, and the cartilage around it is swollen. “L4” I think he said it was.

Apparently it’s gotten worse lately because I’m always up on my feet, in motion now, making it so the difference in my leg length is having a faster effect on my spinal column, my hip problem is also from the same issue. The reason I always attributed it to other issues was I had the miscarraige right as I came into adulthood, and just figured the back pain had something to do with it and as a cake decorator I was pregnant for nearly 2 years with my daughters, so I tossed the fault onto that.

Sigh

Have to say i’m pretty discouraged. I was hoping it’d be some sprain or misallignment that’d be a quick adjustment and I’d be just fine after that. Not some chronic issue that’d require 6-8 months of constant doctors appointments just for an initial fix. and I have to be back there at the office first thing monday morning so he can check it again

then, I come home and there’s no PAIN MEDICINE. gah.

Oh, and I have a thing that I ALWAYS have to put in my right shoe for the rest of my life or my spine will start twisting all over again.

Joy.

~facedesk facedesk facedesk~

Misty
      Participant

So sorry hun. Back pain is so not fun to deal with. I hope they can at least lessen your ordeal for you!

HUGS

Stephanie
        Participant

*hugs* I’m so sorry!

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Ah, you have my sympathy!! I have had severe scoliosis since I was a teenager, my back is both curved and twisted quite a lot. It’s severe enough that I am at least 2 inches shorter than I am supposed to be! I get chronic pain and I should have it operated on but I refuse because I’m stubborn.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

dragonmedley
            Participant

Oh, and I have a thing that I ALWAYS have to put in my right shoe for the rest of my life or my spine will start twisting all over again.

Hey, that means you’ll always start on the right foot!

😀

But do take care. I hope the treatment will help sooner than later. Big, healing hugs your way!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Amy
              Participant

Jeez. It’s too bad they couldn’t just do a little surgery and shorten your leg.

I’m really sorry to hear you’ve got troubles. Doctor stuff is always the worst. It takes so much time and it’s never good news.

Hang in there. *hugs*

Bodine
                Participant

Ah, you have my sympathy!! I have had severe scoliosis since I was a teenager, my back is both curved and twisted quite a lot. It’s severe enough that I am at least 2 inches shorter than I am supposed to be! I get chronic pain and I should have it operated on but I refuse because I’m stubborn.

I have a niece with it.They did operate on her but to no avail.She now walks with a worse limp with no help of getting any better.We are sorry this dreadful thing has hit you,and you Jennifer.Be strong and grateful that you can still get around.As far as the pain,I am sooo sorry about that.Life is tough enough as it is.I hope you do get better.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                  (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                  Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Purplecat
                  Participant

If surgery even had been an option I would have refused it. The idea of surgery is downright terrifying. As it was I had a hard time dealing with going to a chiropractor in the first place. Doctors in general scare the wits outta me.

So, it’s a good thing I went, even though I was seriously hoping I’d simply hurt something at work and it’d be a ‘one visit fix’. If I’d put it off much longer I’d be in much worse shape.

Really, wearing a shoe insert isnt a bad thing in the long run, and wont be a very big deal. However, I was kinda hit all at once with the news this was something much different than I was expecting, and the adjustment yesterday hurt like heck, and I sure didnt feel better after leaving the office.

Doing a bit better this morning however…it’s a new day after all. 😛

Pegasi1978
                    Participant

My ex-husband has a similar problem. He has one leg that is shorter than the other. He can lock the knee on his longer leg and freely swing the other leg and not have the foot hit the ground (as long as he does it parallel to the ground). He found out after 4+ years in the military – even though he has had the issue since birth.

The military gave him corrective inserts (his arches fell, giving him flat feet while in the military). His back pain actually seemed to get a worse before it got better. It was because his back was so used to accommodating for the shorter leg, that it had difficulty with the spine being properly aligned.

The longer he has been with the inserts, the better his back has gotten.

I know the lift in the shoe seems like a pain, but I have a sister who swears it has helped her alot. I hope it helps you too and that you have some relief soon!

However, I was kinda hit all at once with the news this was something much different than I was expecting, and the adjustment yesterday hurt like heck, and I sure didnt feel better after leaving the office.

This is gonna sound mildly cruel – but with a chiropractor, it’s actually better if the adjustment hurts, if they didn’t do enough to hurt, then the adjustment wouldn’t do anything long run.

From my sister-in-law who’s been going to a chiropractor for years….

I hope your spine starts to feel better soon, back pain is brutal, and it’s always crappy to find out that it’s not a quick fix (but really, what is?).

Azurielle
                      Participant

Just a quick…um…warning? Suggestion? Chiropractors can help a lot of people with a lot of problems…but be very careful! Especially when “adjustments” hurt! I work at a specialty spine clinic where all of my docs are MDs and DOs, and we see a LOT of people who were hurt by having chiroprators “adjust” them. Several of them even had fractures in their spines as a result of their chiropractic treatment. A lot of people think that that adjustments will “fix” a problem, and for some they might. There are many, many options other than surgery to help chronic back problems! Sadly, there is NO quick fix once your spine or any of its components have been damaged. We’ve even had surgeon guest speakers at our office who told us, point blank, surgery does not help some people, but they do it because the people insist it’s what they want. No matter what options you choose, just keep in mind that there is no magic pill no matter how much we wish there was. (And this is coming from someone who has no less that 6 herniated discs in my spine, and have worked for back doctors for five years…believe me, I’ve tried lots!)

Keeper of the Fledgings

Purplecat
                        Participant

Well, at the moment I’m having to go three times a week for adjustments. Yes, the adjustments are…uncomfortable. After the first one I went home and was barely able to do anything, I overall hurt much worse. HOWEVER, the pain was…..different?

The sharp intense aching that was super localized was majorly decreased, while it was more of an overall pain in the general zones where the adjustment affected. After that night’s sleep, I got up the next morning and could tell a definate improvement. Not a cure, not feeling back to normal at all, but my pain levels were lower than they had been.

Of course, I wanted to ‘test it out’ by taking a walk….sadly my endurance was WAY WAY lower than what I should be able to do, because I became sore very quickly.

Second adjustment was pretty much the same thing, but again I noticed a lessening in the intensity I had in that localized area that made me go to the doctor in the first place.

The muscles in that entire area feel like they’ve been run over by a truck (probably them readjusting to the insert making my legs level…and them twisting my spine BACK into position with these adjustments)….but I’ll take muscle pain over localized spine pain any day.

Granted, I wear out quick at the moment…it’s impossible for me to lay about like a dead fish…it’s not only against my nature, but not particularly feasible with three active homeschooling kids anyhow. To a certain degree, I’m always pushing to see what I can do. (dont worry…I’m not out trying to lift the car or be superwoman in any way…just normal day to day things like taking the kids out for walks, cleanin the house and gardening)

After giving myself another week of ‘easy duty’ I’ll probably try some biking on our local paved bike trails. Might be a way to get some activity in without impact to my back area. I’ll have to ask at my appointment this morning.

Thank you muchly for all the kind wishes and suggestions..they’re a huge support while going through this. <3

Purplecat
                          Participant

However, I was kinda hit all at once with the news this was something much different than I was expecting, and the adjustment yesterday hurt like heck, and I sure didnt feel better after leaving the office.

This is gonna sound mildly cruel – but with a chiropractor, it’s actually better if the adjustment hurts, if they didn’t do enough to hurt, then the adjustment wouldn’t do anything long run.

From my sister-in-law who’s been going to a chiropractor for years….

I hope your spine starts to feel better soon, back pain is brutal, and it’s always crappy to find out that it’s not a quick fix (but really, what is?).

LOL…yeah…I actually expected it to hurt, the area hurt to much in the first place for them to do anything at all without it hurting…. but I was in a bit of a whining mood, and I was a grump that I had no aleve at home afterwards!

dragonmedley
                            Participant

I’ve been seeing a chiro for years – I’ve seen bad ones, so I know when to stick with the right ones. It’s best if they use the Thompson method, so with a table that sectioned and where each section moves. Yes, if your spine is totally off, it will hurt like hell the first time you’re adjusted – that’s because your muscles and your nerves are being shifted back to where they’re supposed to be. I’ve been to a good chiro who fixed the mess a bad chiro did to my neck; I was in tears from the pain. The next day, though, boy did I feel better!

From what you describe, Purplecat, methinks you have a good one 🙂 Typically 3 adjustments a week until the pain is better, then once or twice a week, then once every two weeks, etc. You know your body, so you should be able to tell when to space out the treatments.

I’m glad to hear it’s getting better!!!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.