nutro dog food warning

Home Forums Miscellany Community nutro dog food warning

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    purpledragonclaw
    Participant

Oh, on a completely unrelated note, I’ve already done some digging and found out that many pet foods are owned by Mars. Greenies, Nutro, Pedigree, Royal Canin, and Whiskas, to name a few. I had to do some deep digging to find that out. 😯

One thing with the corn, it’s kind of like fiber for us. They need SOME to help with the digestive process, you just shouldn’t overdo it.

And my pet is a cat, our apartment is too small for a dog.

People who I know and trust (and am not a client of) that specialize in animal nutrition say MediCal is really good for the price, so I will go with that.

Interesting information though.

I use Iams canned but the pate not the flakes. (Cats) I feed Purina naturals, or Science Diet by Hill’s. I prefer the Hill’s urinary tract health diet food, but sometimes, I jsut can’t afford it at $35 a 20 lb bag with 5 cats. They rip through 20 lbs of food in a little over a week. 😯

Not a one of my pets, canine or feline would eat the prescription food from the vet. Not one. What’s that telling us? 😕

I don’t buy it at the vet…I haven’t ever had a problem with Hill’s though. My cat did suffer from bladder crystals. He was almost in renal failure before I really noticed…They said it was caused by the ash in the hard food. Now, I check mainly for the ash content before buying. Low or no ash is fine by me…Unless it is really cheap, then it’s a no-no wether it has ash or not. 🙂

Dragon87 wrote:

One thing with the corn, it’s kind of like fiber for us. They need SOME to help with the digestive process, you just shouldn’t overdo it.

People who I know and trust (and am not a client of) that specialize in animal nutrition say MediCal is really good for the price, so I will go with that.

I’m asking a quick question and I’m staying out of this conversation. Who says dogs and cats need corn? Cats in particular are carnivores. They should have some grass and that’s it. (Cat grass is actually very good for them.) Now I don’t disagree completely with grains or corn in food but, it should be something they can digest. Like corn meal…. Not whole corn like some manufactures put in. (I’m not saying MediCal has whole corn, I know it doesn’t.)

Oh, darn…. I’m sorry, I was going to leave this as a quick question.

tfs…. Have you heard of anything regarding Wellness Indoor? Romeo loves that food, but, the last bag I got him made him very sick. He still wants the food but, I won’t give him anymore.

I wish they would eat Prairie again. They were doing so well on it. Their breath smelled better, the litter box smell was less….. so on. Sigh, if only cats would eat what we actually want them too….

Romeodanny wrote:

Dragon87 wrote:

I’m asking a quick question and I’m staying out of this conversation. Who says dogs and cats need corn? Cats in particular are carnivores. They should have some grass and that’s it. (Cat grass is actually very good for them.) Now I don’t disagree completely with grains or corn in food but, it should be something they can digest. Like corn meal…. Not whole corn like some manufactures put in. (I’m not saying MediCal has whole corn, I know it doesn’t.)

Oh, darn…. I’m sorry, I was going to leave this as a quick question.

Sorry I was actually referring to dogs not my cat’s food. I think it’s weird her food has corn but it won’t hurt her it will just go right through her.

Dogs are omnivores and need both meats AND vegetable products in their diets.

keschete
      Participant

Jeeze,

What is a person to do? I was using Nutro Ultra, during the recall I switched to Blue Buffalo, then it got recalled, so then it was Royal Canin. When things calmed down, we went back to Ultra. Maybe we need to go back to Royal Canin.

At over a dollar a pound, you would think someone could make something that was healthy and safe for our pets.

Great, just great. 👿 I have switched from Iams to Nutro Ultra because of the last recall. I have noticed that my one dog is coughing, but I just thought it was something else. Do I dare to switch to another brand and which one would I switch to?

Yes dogs need vegitable matter, corn is a grain though.

Ingrediant list for what I feed my senior dogs:
        Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, sweet potato, whole eggs, turkey, chicken fat, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.

Ingredient list for what I feed my pup (being a mastiff mix he needs a lower protien caount then what the no grain foods have):
        Chicken meal (low ash), steamed oatmeal, ground whole rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary), rice bran, ground flaxseed (source of Omega 3), beet pulp, herring oil (natural source of DHA and EPA), chicken broth, yeast extract (Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), chicory root (FOS), steamed sweet potato, dried whole egg, yucca shidigera, glucosamine HCl (powdered lobster shell), chondroitin sulfate (shark cartilage), marigold extract (source of lutein), L-carnitine supplement, Atlantic kelp, carrots, tomatoes (natural source of lycopene), apples, whole garlic, parsley, rosemary extract, cranberry, sea salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, lysine, vitamin A supplement, dl alpha-tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), methionine, vitamin D3 supplement, *iron Bioplex™, *zinc Bioplex™, *manganese Bioplex™, biotin, *copper Bioplex™, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin B12, folic acid. *chelated mineral

Ingredient list for the food I feed the cat, who is 13, and has crystal issues, other than the vet crap this is the only food that does not affect him. But he poops less than half as much on this:
        Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs,deboned turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.

Now these foods are made less than 4 hours south of me, but are becoming more available in the US as time goes by.

The last recall that the place had was in 2003 and had to do with BSE, which WILL NOT affect dogs, but was recalled to prevent it from getting into cattle accidentally.

I was talking about grains not vegies. Yes dogs do need vegis. 😆

Oh and Dragon87 there is very little wrong with MediCal. I wasn’t picking on it or what you feed. I just don’t like grains in food. If your cats are doing well on it don’t stop feeding it.

I could name a few dog foods that are alot more grain than anything else. And, it’s full of things that alot of dogs are allergic to. But, on TV they say they are full of good stuff. 🙄 Sure they are.

Maebnus
        Participant

Uhm… I don’t have the links for backup (because Firefox just #$#@*ed up again and deleted all my bookmarks!! ARGGG!!!!), but this is a problem for Nutro CAT food as well. I heard about it in December, and Brago is no longer fed Nutro of any kind. He only gets Innova now… which I love my mom to death for sending to me, since it’s not available here (nor is any other acceptable cat food… grumblebecauseAAFESblowsgrumble). No funky by-products, his coat is much softer/silkier, and he runs to the food bowl whenever I ever walk in that direction (never did that with any other food… and nevermind that I have an auto-feeder :roll:).

darjeb
          Participant

I feed my dog Nutro Senior. I used to feed him Nutro lamb and rice and before that Chicken Soup for the Soul but had to quit because the only pet store around me that carried it went out of business. I also cook hamburger and rice and mix it with the Nutro Senior. Now maybe I better find something else because since the last scare I have been afraid to feed him canned dog food.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.