fbpx

now for some orchid exotics:

Home Forums Miscellany Community now for some orchid exotics:

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    keschete
    Participant

Really only the very delicate orchids like Masdevalias and Draculas need special conditions.

Most orchids thrive on what I call “benign neglect” Spritz them with a bit of water a few times a week and water and let them drain about once a week.

I used clay pots with open slits in the sides and a coarse bark, charcoal, pumice type mix….so the roots are well aerated.

I love orchids, I just couldn’t keep them…I was very sick when they were in the house…almost ended up in the hospital…..

Its funny, because I am not allergic to any animals.

purpledragonclaw
      Participant

boskydragon wrote:

Gorgeous!
        I love my orchids! I agree w/Pip & PDC, they do fine being ignored. πŸ™‚ I try to water once a week, but don’t always, and I know they have needed to be repotted for years now, but they keep blooming so I let it slide.

Orchids are hardy. Like yours, I think ours have been potbound for years, but they still bloom, so we just leave them alone.

Maria
        Participant

Wonderful idea, fauxbird! Thanks for the beautiful photos.

aw i thought it would be nice,as im sure like me were all waiting for spring to show,it’s been real rainy here yuck,i am a member of the long island orchid society,i used to belong to the american orchid society to,but the yearly fee went up and it’s cheeper to stick with my local society πŸ™‚

darjeb
          Participant

That pink and white one is gorgeous. I only have two in bloom right now one is a peachy/orange and the other is purple. The picture really doesn’t do the p/o justice it only blooms in a cluster of 3 and you can’t see all of them in the picture.

Since I live in FL mine live outdoors yearround and get seriously neglected. I fertilize and spray them if I think about it. Most of the time the yard sprinklers water them.

Fauxbird if you read this maybe you can tell me what type the p/o one is I have had it for so many years I don’t remember and most people say they have never seen one that color before.

the two in flower you have pictured are both cattleya hybrids,i would suspect they are older crosses which are getting harder to find these day’s,do you have any better pic’s?i may have seen it before i have seen so many catt’s as they are one of my favorites,oh i was going to ask if anyone want’s we can alway’s do some trade’s as i have a few plant’s that need to be divided and re-potted πŸ™‚

Laurie
            Participant

Oh man…that peach and orange is fantastic!! 😯 πŸ˜› πŸ˜€

They are all so nice. I have seen most of these in person. They have flower shows at the mall I work at. Plus there is an orchid show…..

I really wish I could have another. I kept my Grandmas alive for years before my cats killed it. Brats, they will hunt any plant down and pull whatever it is out of the soil. If they can’t, then they will push the pot to the floor. πŸ‘Ώ

purpledragonclaw
              Participant

Romeodanny wrote:

They are all so nice. I have seen most of these in person. They have flower shows at the mall I work at. Plus there is an orchid show…..

I really wish I could have another. I kept my Grandmas alive for years before my cats killed it. Brats, they will hunt any plant down and pull whatever it is out of the soil. If they can’t, then they will push the pot to the floor. πŸ‘Ώ

Dogs are just as bad, if not worse. We used to have a bromeliade, it was beautiful. It took 5 years and moving it to two different rooms before it bloomed, but it was gorgeous when it did. *sigh* Then we put it outside FOR A SECOND to transplant it, and our rottweiler mix tore it up in five minutes. : πŸ˜₯ πŸ˜₯ πŸ˜₯ This was at least four years ago but we never replaced it because we’re not ready to move on yet.

Elena
                Participant

Very pretty. πŸ˜€ (waiting for spring to come here…)

We only get purple and white ones up here and occasionally a yellowish one with red streaks onit and they all have a very round look to them and frankly, they don’t do anything for me. They don’t every smell pretty. But I really like those. Esspecially the white/pink one on the first page and they peachy colored one on the 3rd.

My Dad has pondered having orcids on and off for several years, but he hasn’t found any that he really likes either. I’m wondering where you guys find these pretties?

there is a place called the orchid mall on the web it has orchid nurseries listed,and yes there are some nurseries located in canada,there’s also e-bay i have purchased a lot from there to,like i said i mostly collect fragrant hybrids and species πŸ˜€

Heather
                  Participant

purpledragonclaw wrote:

Ooh, ooh! There’s one flower that’s legendary that blooms every seven years or so, that smells of dead and rotting flesh! I would love to smell that just once! πŸ˜€

I believe that’s the titan arum. One bloomed in the greenhouse on our college campus, and for days there were botany majors and guests lined up waiting to go inside and see/smell the flower. I never made the time to go see it, but I understand it did indeed have a powerful smell!

There’s another group of big flowers (Rafflesia) that also smell of rotten flesh, but they’re a different plant family entirely. They’re parasitic growths that live on a particular type of vine.

purpledragonclaw
                    Participant

Thank you, Barrdwing, I think it’s the Titan arum! We have arums around our house, they grow like crazy, and they don’t smell that great. Nowhere near the level of rotting flesh, though! πŸ˜€

darjeb
                      Participant

I went to an orchid show at a mall close to where I live and a man had a lime green cattleya that I kept looking at and looking at but he wanted a very high price for it and somebody else bought it. Now I am kicking myself as I have never seen another one and would have loved that one.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.