fbpx

Not Happy With Disney

Home Forums Miscellany Community Not Happy With Disney

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

As some may know I am about to be a Step Mom to a 6 and 8 year old girls. I love them like my own and I am doing things I normally wouldn’t do like wait in line at 4am for the Disney Store to open so I can get a Disney Designer Princess Doll.

These dolls are $60 and never suppose to be out of the box. They are edition of 4000 or 6000 depending on the princess. Each Monday a new princess was released. Each Disney Store at the most would get 12 dolls. They would also release them online at 4am but they sold out in seconds.

Well apparently people were getting upset at this system of first come first serve limit of 2 dolls. So they decided instead of releasing one princess a week they released 5 at the same time!

This past Monday I had no way to wait in front of the store because I have a very very sick horse and she must be watched 24/7. So my fiance decided to try and buy them online. Disney took their site down to make ready for the huge rush of people. They promised it would be a easy process.

After having the dolls we wanted in the cart and going to checkout to pay the site crashed. It crashed over and over for 2 hours. We were able to get Tiana and Jasmine. Which I am thankful for.

I am a little ticked on how Disney handled this. I liked the new princess coming out every week. Even waiting all that time in line I only got Snow White but I understood it was first come first serve. Releasing the last 5 all at the same time was just a stupid idea on Disney part. They knew the amount of web traffic they were going to get.

There is no way to complete the collection. The dolls are on ebay for 200+ and they are selling! I am almost tempted to sell them and use the money to get the girls something else. I was never able to get their favorite princess.

Sorry for my rant. Just hate disappointing the girls. Got to get use to the mom thing I guess.

Bodine
    Participant

I HEAR THAT!!! I set on this computer from 10:45am to 1:30pm constantly trying to get on that dang website to get our girl one and was locked out the entire time saying-web server problems.MY BUTT!! because as soon as it did open up,SOLD OUT!!What a crock!!If the site was down,how did they sell them all,I’m talking a few thousand of each doll,in a matter of a few seconds??
      Unless you plan on letting the girls have them to play with,it isn’t a bad investment for them in the future really.Jasmine is the one we wanted but at the prices on Ebay?Can’t do it.Won’t do it with that much of a markup so soon.
      Funny,I do spend that on some Windstones…priorities….hahaha

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
      Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

scenceable
      Participant

I’ve never heard of these dolls before, but stuff like this always screams “marketing ploy” to me. :/

You know, make the item not only limited but impossible to get on top of it. So you camp out to get one and are disappointed right? So then you want the doll even more, have kids who want them even more, and feel pressure to make your kinds happy, all that. Kind of like all the stuff toy companies do around christmas time, UGH. I mean maybe it was a mistake on disney’s part that their site goes down but I feel like the change from one doll a week, which was working fine, to 5 was just to hike up the pressure.

Bodine
        Participant

I agree with you.I have a family member that works for Disney and they were told to stay off of the site for them.They couldn’t get one unless someone else gets one for them but I saw a pic on Ebay Monday for one of the dolls up for bids,inside Disney store photo of her,days before they came out.I think that smaller companies sometimes get their sites shut down because of a good sale but DISNEY?? Wouldn’t you think they would have all of their bases covered for a sale like that? I missed the first five altogether and darned if they didn’t screw the public on this deal and I missed out on them again.I call their “strategy” faulty for the general public.
          Babygirl won’t get her doll but I do have her the Cinderella dress w/crown,light-up shoes,bouquet and the Cinderella and Prince Charming w/carriage etc.large snowglobe that is absolutely lovely.I think that will make up for it.Those she can actually play with.

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

I found a forum where people are trading for them instead of paying the crazy ebay prices. Found someone about 2 hours away who will trade for a Rupunzel. So if I get her all I need is Sleeping Beauty.

I have been reading about people who had them in their cart payed for them and just this morning got an email saying they are sorry but they don’t have anymore. What kind of wacked up thing is that?! I couldn’t even imagine!

Disney isn’t doing anything about it either. I would at least like a gift card or 50% off an item in their store.

It might be a marketing ploy but this is it for Disney Princess. After Rupunzel they are never going to make another princess movie. In 10 years they will be releasing a new set of designer Princess Dolls and I hope they do it better than this time.

Here’s a sketch of them all together if anyone wanted to see what they look like.

Photobucket

siberakh1
          Participant

Wow! That’s nuts! I just went and looked them up. Pretty, but unless you plan on holding on to them for the future to give to the girls later as an investment, I’d probably sell them, if they aren’t meant to be played with. As a 4 or 6 year old, I’d rather be able to touch and play with a toy than have it sit on a shelf in a box to just be looked at, especially at that age (and I took care of my toys very well, even at that age). I don’t know them personally, but I’d appreciate something I could play with even more at that age. πŸ™‚ Especially if they didn’t know they’re getting them. They won’t miss what they don’t know about.

Now if the girls had their hearts set on getting one for Christmas, that’s a different story. They would just have to be thankful to get those two home. I wanted a pound puppy when they first came out, but my parents got us each one that was made from a kit (they were licensed kits, so they could be sewn), same with cabbage patch dolls (never asked for one of these, but *shrug*). Not the same shiny and new ones from the stores, but I like mine just the same and it didn’t matter. It was still a pound puppy. πŸ™‚ I’m sure the price will drop after the holidays and all of this craziness when new things come up. Might take a year if you really want to get them all, but be patient. I’d check in the summer when people aren’t thinking about holiday gift giving.

Kujacker
            Participant

Wow! That’s nuts! I just went and looked them up. Pretty, but unless you plan on holding on to them for the future to give to the girls later as an investment, I’d probably sell them, if they aren’t meant to be played with.

I agree with this. But I’m a collector, even of toys. So I just don’t think giving a doll worth several hundred dollars to a child to play with is “worth” it. Kids, especially younger ones, beat things up. They don’t care about the condition of a toy.

And on but off topic, I’ve disliked “modern” (I suppose) disney for quite awhile now. I think once I was old enough (around 12 or 13 I think) to realize the whole, Kimba rip off thing, I’ve had a beef with them. And now, they can’t even make original movies, and always sequel movies just to make money off the original decent movie… and now they plan to theatre re-release a whole bunch of their already made movies. Talk about lazy!

Oh no it’s not for them to play with. Their rooms are decorated with their favorite princess. They have a shrine in the corner of princess fragile things like snow globes and porcelain dolls. Their windstones live there to. They saw the display of the dolls in the store and asked for them personally. That’s why I went for the dolls. Not because I wanted to but for them.

Skeeterdeee
              Participant

That really Grinds my Gears!! You can tell by the amount of them listed on eBay that they were just purchased for the sole purpose of being “held for ransom” on eBay. “Aw, all your little girl wanted for Christmas is a Repunzel doll? That’s heartbreaking! Here, you can have mine…….for $575.”
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Disney-Princess-Designer-Rapunzel-Doll-matching-Pin-HAND-/120797226835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c20136753
                :angry: That’s just being a scumbag! :angry:

**Sorry, I get fired up about hard to find toys! πŸ™‚

siberakh1
                Participant

Ah, I see. These are meant to be collector’s toys (unlike the Barbie ‘limited editions’ types that do get played with). It’s neat that they requested them personally and that they know how to treat nice things. πŸ™‚ I know my nephews would have them in pieces (I wouldn’t trust a windstone around them and I put my ball joint dolls away then they show up because they horse-around a bit too rough, and my bjds are mostly limited production ones).

That’s cool on the trading site. Hopefully you can get that trade and make both you, the girls, and that other trader happy, without breaking the bank! If it comes down to only missing one, perhaps you can find whatever ones you are missing down the road when the hype has died down. The price is probably even more jacked up because they just came out (like XBox and PS2 and PS3 when they first came out!).

I can’t believe that this wasn’t a marketing ploy, and I’m sure some people got around whatever rules they had while others got burnt. Disney should be better to their customers, but they are big enough that they probably feel that they don’t have to be either. The prices on ebay are ridiculous for these! So many scalpers! |(

Good luck in whichever you choose! If you can trade for their favorite princess for one that you have that isn’t ‘the one’, I’d say do it.

WolfenMachine
                  Participant

Its a lot up front, but these are currently at about $77 each-not much more than store price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Designer-Princess-Dolls-Set-LE-Aurora-Tiana-Rapunzel-Jasmine-Pocahontas-/260875213132?_trksid=p4340.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D15%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3615204732442295962

Ive never heard of these either. They are pretty. Ive never cared much for dolls πŸ˜›

Yeah, you’d think a Billion dollar industry would take a step back from making money for a little while and try to make their customers happy. They could have better prepared for a huge rush of people to their site, or produced more dolls in the first place. They could still keep their limited edition status, as there will always be a dwindling number of dolls avaliable in the world, but an extra thousand or two of each would make 10,000-20,000 more children/collectors happy.

I Just got an email from the Disney Store for a $20 gift card.

It doesn’t help the headache I got but at least they know they messed up and are trying to fix it.

If Disney was as awesome as Windstone they would have made more! ^_^

Syn
                    Participant

Its a lot up front, but these are currently at about $77 each-not much more than store price.

I have never heard of them either, so I took a look. That auction is a bit misleading at first glance. It is really for five of the dolls, not all those that are in the picture. That works out to $180 each. Not a bad profit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.