Newbie Writer

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Newbie Writer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Davis
    Keymaster

Hi there,

I just joined a little while ago, I’m doing some tech work at the factory, and I noticed a writing section of the forum. I’ve been an aspiring author for a while now and wanted to say hi!

I’m currently gearing up for NaNoWriMo in November. It’s helped me through writing blocks and the like before but I’ve been slacking the past few years. I’m hoping to have something I can work on at the end of the month and maybe try publishing, even if it gets no further than Amazon.

How about for the rest of you? Any projects you’ve been squirreling away and meaning to work on? Any books you’ve read recently that inspire you?

Bodine
      Participant

You are in good company.There are a few writers here.There is a section for writing if you wish to share.😀

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

dragonmedley
        Participant

I’m still working on the layout for Purple Dragon… this winter, I really mean to work on it and to start painting again!

But… isn’t there a saying about good intentions?

🙂

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Bodine
          Participant

YAY YOU!!That is most excellent good news Dragonmedley.I patiently await “The Purple Dragon”!😁👏👏👏 I am one of your biggest fans😍

Jeff Davis
            Keymaster

Having been a late comer to all this, are you comfortable giving me a synopsis of your story, dragonmedley? I do enjoy dragon stories. As surprising as that may be. 😀

Bodine
              Participant

Hi Jeff,she has two published, available to purchase if I am not mistaken.The Green Dragon and The White Dragon.Both are a good read and makes you look forward to the next one,The Purple Dragon.😁

Ela_Hara
                Participant

WooHoo! The Purple Dragon will Cometh! YAY dragonmedley!
                  The first two were wonderful – I’ll need to re-read them again…

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                  Zeppard Adult Poads
                  Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                  *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

dragonmedley
                  Participant

OMG, guys, it won’t be cometh-ing that soon…

I have that one paragraph in my head that says what will generally take place and how it’ll kind of end.

The layout is the details per more or less chapter (I’m about half-way).

Then comes the actual writing, where things change and don’t go at all where you thought they would… because suddenly, you have this idea that pops in your head (it’s actually happened to me during a general meeting at work and I started to frantically take notes. The colleague sitting beside me whispered to me: “What are you writing, Sarah, a novel?” I blinked a few time and said: “Yes”. I think she kinda scooted her chair away from me…), or you figure out that if you go that way, you won’t end up where you wanted, or because it’s a full moon…

Then you have to revise everything, go over things with a fine-tooth comb, reread again and again.

Then you send it to the editor, and the rework starts. Oh, and that’s if you decide to stick with the same publisher! If you want to switch, then that’s a whole other thing! Which I’m not going to go into right now, since today’s Friday and I don’t want to go into painful things on such a lovely day of the week.

Jeff, am I scaring you?

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jeff Davis
                    Keymaster

Nope! Gone through it all myself too. I wrote a NaNoWriMo movel back in 2006 that I proceeded to edit and rewrite for the next six years. I’d occasionally farm it out to agents or publishers and either get nothing or rejection letters, so I wound up self-publishing it in 2013. Mostly to get the chance to monkey around with the self publishing world and tools. Also to get the manuscript out of my head so I could focus on other things.

I know all too well about the trials and tribulations of trying to write. I’ve got a story that waffles between novel and novella that I will open, stare at, write a couple of lines, have my stomach leap into my throat and then quickly close. I’ve been trying to get more done on it but it’s already been through three full rewrites and the bad guy kinda became a good guy and I dumped a whole slew of extraneous characters.

Still, that feeling I got when I saw a book a wrote on the shelf at a local bookstore was just amazing and intoxicating. I really want to feel that way again. And maybe earn enough to pay rent too, if I’m lucky! 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.