fbpx

New About this Place

Home Forums Miscellany Introductory and Welcoming Area New About this Place

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Featherwurm
    Participant

Hi all, I’m pleased to be joining this group of nice folk! I can be sort of hesitant posting so I undoubtedly will end up rather quiet, though I’ll try my best.

In Short:

I’m a pacific northwest artist with a background in theater. Like a lot of folks here, I’ve loved Windstone for many years, though with a limited budget I don’t have much of a collection. Now that I’m out on my own with my own income, I’m thinking of indulging a bit, and looking forward to trying some PYOs!

In Long:

When I was a kid, my parents (who are both architects) were on the California State Board of Architecture and responsible for giving the licensing exams for new Architects. Because of this, we frequently took weekend trips to various parts of California where the exams were being given. At about 8 or so we took a trip to Monterrey and there in one of the many tourist-y shops on the pier were a collection of gorgeous dragons, unicorns, and gryphons. I fell in love with the shining colors, intricate details, subtle expressions, and overall charm and weight of M. Pena’s creations. Unfortunately, such things were far out of our budget, and I never was able to own any of the lovely creatures then, still though, every trip to a Windstone dealer meant a long time gazing over each little detail of the various beautiful things.

Now that’ I’m older I do have some nice Windstone pieces around. I own an adorable little Siamese pointed bird-winged flapcat with iridescent purple wings. My housemate has a beautiful rainbow mother dragon and a charming little orange-and-white lady cat. The mother has taken a little damage over the years (she’s at least 9 years old now, and has a few dings about the horns and tail) and we’re considering repairing her.

My housemate and I are both looking into trying some PYOs. We’re leaning toward flapcats or kitty gryphons (we’re just starting out on our own, our budges are good but limited on the fun stuff). Since we both have quite a bit of experience in art and the required material use, we’re feeling pretty confident about starting out. And, having read instructions and seen examples it all looks like a lot of fun. I’m very eager to try! Though I’ve looked through almost all of the PYO gallery I’ve not seen any of these completed, and if anyone has any examples, I’d love to see them.

I live in the wild northwest of Oregon, having recently moved here from California (though I am still very much in touch with my much-loved parents there). My degree (from UCSC) is in Theater Arts, and my focus is in costume. When not working in the garden department at the big orange box I work on a lot of my own art and projects, most of which can be seen at my website here: http://www.featherwurmgraphics.com/ I’m a big lover of fantasy, and have many reoccurring creatures and scenarios which I mean to someday write out in longer formats. I share my life with a wonderful partner/housemate, and two cats; a sweet, smart Siamese mix named Thorin, and a sweet, dense (in all senses) little black cube of of a cat named Pippin.

Thank you for reading! I’m very pleased to meet you all.

Stormbringer777
      Participant

Hello and Welcome FW!!!! :party: I don’t post too much here, but I do like to welcome the new members!! All of the people I’ve met here are GREAT!! Your collection will grow quickly, so have fun and don’t be shy to ask any questions! πŸ˜‰ … 8)

StormDancer
        Participant

Welcome! This is a great forum to be in. Everyone I have met her has been great!
          Your Windstone collection will soon grow too. Especially if you wander the classifieds here.
          Have fun!

Looking for:
          "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Dragoneer_88
          Participant

Welcome to the forum! I’m a bit new myself and don’t post often, but so far everyone has been super nice! I was hesitant at joining too, but finally did. The other forum members have happily answered my questions even if it’s something that’s been asked a bazillion times before. LOL

The forum definitely fuels the collecting habit. It’s a great place to find out what’s new and upcoming with Windstone too! Check out Melody’s blog once in awhile (under the community tab) for raffle prize opportunities and the quests for more prizes (when new ones are posted.)

Very nice artwork btw!

Featherwurm
            Participant

Thank you all very much! I will be sure to check out all of these things. I’m quite excited indeed, and hoping to grow my collection.

Welcome Featherwurm!

Windstones are like crack and Melody is our dealer.

We members here are a nonjudgmental, supportive and accepting. Since we’re addicts our self, we understand and embrace your addiction.

For some other good addiction, I mean collector stories, here’s a link to Dragoneer_88’s coming out of the shadows, welcome thread.

http://windstoneeditions.com/forum/hi-newbie-dragon-enthusiast-here-warning-long-winded-introduction

~Hoofer

phantomess
              Participant

Always glad to welcome another victim to our ranks! Ahaha! Ahahahaha! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ahem. Nice to meet you. πŸ™‚

Formerly had the Batman & Joker avatar!

Samwise
                Participant

Welcome!! Nice to meet you.

I visited your website real quick. Those dapper dragons of yours are cute and fun!

Your Windstone collection is sure to grow here. They are definitely an addiction and everyone in this forum is an enabler! πŸ˜›

Featherwurm
                  Participant

Hah! You all are enablers indeed! I think I’ll be fine here…

I’m even headed off to the local dealer here tomorrow (probably won’t buy, though I dunno, she does stock those neat feet candle holders that I love… nah… need to save for my PYOs) just going to go take a look at all the pretty things.

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

Hiya featherwurm! So very pleased to meet you! You hail from my neck of the woods in Cali – ‘tho i’m in Utah now πŸ™‚ I wound up with a three part major at Uni that took 12-ish years to complete ’cause i didn’t know what i wanted to be when i grew up (still not sure and i hit half a century age wise next month :bigsmile: ) emphasis on theatre, fine art and literature and there are several more of us who also work in theatre and costuming plus many wonderfully talented artists, so welcome to the family! You’re stuck for life πŸ˜‰

twindragonsmum πŸ™‚

tdm

Kim
                      Blocked

Hello and welcome! That is cool you are an artist. I love art and architecture myself. I took interior decorating in school but never got into work with it and went the business route instead but Windstone has allowed me to get back to what I love with art and painting! I painted my first pyo dragon a few months ago for a swap and that is fun too if you decide to join in! I am thinking of getting more pyos too. Are you a lady or man? How long ago did you finish school? We have some other cool threads on here where people talk about their age, career, etc. and it’s always fun to find out more about others and connect with like minded people.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

drag0nfeathers
                        Participant

Welcome Welcome! I can’t wait to see what you come up with for your PYOS!

Got a busted Windstone?
                          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                          Siphlophis Male Dragon
                          Calypso Hatching Empress
                          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                          Tattoo Mother Kirin
                          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

Oh and by the way, don’t forget to have a look at Melody’s graphic novel when you’ve some time. It’s the “Reptangle” button between “Community” and “FAQ” πŸ™‚

tdm πŸ™‚

tdm

Featherwurm
                            Participant

Oh and by the way, don’t forget to have a look at Melody’s graphic novel when you’ve some time. It’s the “Reptangle” button between “Community” and “FAQ” πŸ™‚

tdm πŸ™‚

Oh yes indeed, thank you! I enjoy it very much (I think I started in when about page… 40 or so was up, after catching up on the archive). I love seeing the creatures in their own world, just makes the figures all the more delightful (and rather makes me rather want a poad).

Featherwurm
                              Participant

Hello and welcome! That is cool you are an artist. I love art and architecture myself. I took interior decorating in school but never got into work with it and went the business route instead but Windstone has allowed me to get back to what I love with art and painting! I painted my first pyo dragon a few months ago for a swap and that is fun too if you decide to join in! I am thinking of getting more pyos too. Are you a lady or man? How long ago did you finish school? We have some other cool threads on here where people talk about their age, career, etc. and it’s always fun to find out more about others and connect with like minded people.

Hah, I know the feeling, and I’m still hoping to get back into theater before long. I may try swaps when I’m a little more financially able to, they do look like fun! I am of the female sort, and I finished up school in ’07. I’ll be sure to drop in on those threads.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.