fbpx

Need Some Advice/Assistance with a Hard Clean

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Need Some Advice/Assistance with a Hard Clean

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Courtney
    Participant

Hello!

Today I received two gorgeous dragons in the mail.
      They were shipped from a friend who had had them for some time and decided to sell them after they (literally) accumulated years of dust.

I had no issues cleaning the Ruby fledgling as I surmise that it had been more recently acquired out of a box.

But I have a white scratching that is caked with years of dust so stubborn that brushing, and/or wiping with a microfiber cloth isnt even touching it. I’ve tried canned air, but this dust is persistent because it’s been in place for years.

Im hesitant about using water on anything more than the gold plating. Is it safe to use on the paint?

Can anyone give me advice on the safest way to clean this gem without canned air/ micro fiber cloth which have already failed me greatly?

Dragoneer_88
      Participant

I have used a damp soft toothbrush to get in between the scales of a crusty dragon before, but you’ll have to be very careful with it. You could also try a very soft paint brush too.

Courtney
        Participant

I tried the soft paintbrush and water thing, but this gunk/dust is stubborn. Its like the dust/thread fibers are adhered to it. ;W;

Dragoneer_88
          Participant

If the dust is caked in there from years of something like kitchen grease, you may have to use a little bit of mild soap like Dawn, but again, be very careful. If you go that route, try a tiny spot on the non-display side. I did this with my white male dragon back when I had him. It didn’t bother the paint on mine, but every piece is different.

Courtney
            Participant

Thank you so much for the advice!
              Ill try heavily diluting a little bit of dawn

littleironhorse
              Participant

I’ve successfully cleaned many pieces over the years using water, Dawn soap and a soft makeup brush. I would start by soaking the piece and the brush with with water, loading the brush up with soap and generously lathering up the piece all over, making sure to go into all the nooks and crannies, rinsing thoroughly under running water and also thoroughly patting dry with a soft cloth. I would only ever do this once in each piece’s lifetime, but I’ve never damaged a piece that way and it’s the only thing that will get caked on dirt off. I wouldn’t do this with a Ruby or Red Fire pieces however.

Courtney
                Participant

Thank you so much! I plan on sticking my Windsong collection under glass.
                  I lost my pieces some time ago to Katrina, and Ive been slowly rebuilding my collection.
                  I definitely want to take care of them, so they will have their own little glass housings!

I just want to get this girl cleaned up so shes nice and presentable before going into her new home!!

Kim
                  Blocked

Yeah I have done the same thing with water and mild soap. I put some pieces in the bathtub and showered them with a bit of water. Then I used a wet microfibre cloth with a bit of natural soap and wiped them all over. I didn’t need to use brushes but you could use a soft brush in the nooks. Then I rinsed them off just enough to get the soap off, put them on towels on the floor to dry and patted them dry with towels too.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.