fbpx

Need Mold Help!

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Need Mold Help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

I created a super sculpy Neko Cat I wanted to make a mold of and then plastercast a few to custom paint. I made the cat and then used The Amazing Mold Putty to create the mold. I did the mold but I had to cut the original cat out of it to release it. Then in trying to get the first plaster mold out of it it tore even more, plus the plaster mold broke in a couple areas. Now I don’t know if I can make more plaster molds and try again or if it’s worth my time trying. Does anyone know a place I can get a limited run of them made by people who are better at mold making? Or somebody that can make a mold for me that works? I’m really upset over all the hard work and money I put into this. Pictures Here:
    http://www.watergazersden.com/node/32979#comment-403046

When I fell back into sculpture I used something called “Mold Builder” as a prelim layer (it’s a liquid latex) that sets directly on the sculpture, then you can use a hard outer shell over the latex(clay, plaster, etc.) for support. And also, Rub-R-Mold. Both are great for small projects.

I used an old unicorn sculpture and made a few that are plenty perfect for paint testing and I cast them in Hydrocal or Hydrostone. Hydrocal is easy to carve with once cured, light-weight but not as durable as Hydrostone (slightly heavily and bubbled less). I have plenty supply of both let in the buckets too.

I dunno if I could help or not, but I can let you be the judge of that. πŸ™‚ I can post pictures if you’d like to see.

A helpful site that I know of: http://dowitstudio.com/Sculpting%20tutorial.htm

Thanks for the info. I’ll look it up…and let’s see your photos too. I posted mine.

The Hydrostone cast is on the far left, the Hydrocal (notice how bubbly and broken leg) in the middle, and the original on the right, on of three same pose Stone Critters I have.

These aren’t completely perfect for my practices, but any holes or clips I find and make a very small batch of the gypsum mineral and fill them in. It works wanders~ This is how I’m currently working to fix what windstones I have that are damaged.

http://www.unchartedart.com/junk/IMG_1087.jpg
    http://www.unchartedart.com/junk/IMG_1089.jpg
    http://www.unchartedart.com/junk/IMG_1093.jpg
    http://www.unchartedart.com/junk/IMG_1094.jpg
    http://www.unchartedart.com/junk/IMG_1095.jpg

Lokie
    Participant

Little off topic, but hoping you are still reading this thread….

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WATERGAZER!!!!! ❗

Would have wished it earlier when the thread was active, but I just got home. Anyways, I hope it is, and was, awesome. πŸ™‚

You’re the first on-line to say so and thanks! The thread is still active. I posted it all last night.

Patricia
      Participant

Whaaaaaaaa? How did I miss that?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

BipolarBear
        Participant

Happy Birthday 8)

I would help but I am just to tired to get out of bed today~
          Engaged to a Weasel

Skigod377
          Participant

Happy Birthday!!!

Akeyla
            Participant

yay happy birthday!

concerning the mold, did you shake the mold very well when you filled in the liquid? cause when I made molds I had to realy earthquake em or in the case of a lil anubis figure even half fill them and poke in and stirr with a blunt stick.
              I used jolly old latex, works like a charm for small ones but needs a support when bigger forms. Like a supporting cage of plaster… merf,,, difficult to explain in words. My collegue made something similar at school. Conceptwise. I think he casted vertebras. I dont know of a professional caster but I’m sure someone on a big forum with 3D art can answer this. I think someone was asking something similar on conceptart a while ago… I’ll look if I can find it. though a warning ahead: I think it’ll be pretty expensive :/ thaz ze blessing of a 3D artist πŸ™

I could not shake the mold or even tap it as much as I wanted to because of the tearing to the mold itself. I had to hold it together by hand. Right now I am making a second casting since I duct taped and rubber-banded it together but even so, I can’t get all the air bubbles out since I can’t manipulate it due to leakage. I am trying to think of other ways to do this but am coming up with useless ideas…like making a hard sculpy mold and then just using sculpy to create more clay copies. It probably wouldn’t work as well having to piece two halves together and eliminate the seam because getting something out of a sculpy-made mold would be extremely difficult. I am wondering if casting resin might be better than plaster but again, leakage. I’m kinda at a loss. I would like to try perhaps another form of mold though and remake a new flexible mold if I can find something.

BipolarBear
              Participant

For holding it together better you need to make kind of sleeve with a tougher plaster, but I don’t think that it your main problem. How long are you waiting before pouring your plaster? If you wait to long and the plaster become to thick you’ll get bubbles. However your getting outcroppings not depressions most likely your molding material is not sticking to your original well enough and making bubbles between it and the original squeezing it tighter might help, the material could be too cold, or the material just isn’t pliable enough and needs to be worked more before putting it on. I wish I could help more, I worked in the molding department at windstone for a while, but the proccess is different and rather secret.

I would help but I am just to tired to get out of bed today~
                Engaged to a Weasel

When I first read the subject, I thought you were asking help for mold in your house. haha. This topic is interesting…learn something new everyday.

Oh, by the way.

Happy Birthday πŸ˜€

Akeyla
                Participant

damn… I had a long answer written here and the net killed it.. grr…
                  short though: what kind of plaster do you use?
                  to do what you have on mine I’d have to use a hammer.
                  also, never ever shake the mold directly unless you have a solid “cage” meaning your mold is not a sleeve of rubber. merely holding the form will squash it. When I do my casts I pour latex over them and let a lil lake at their feet. Gives you like a… condom with a socket. herm. then I cut a hole into a closed cardboard box and poke te thing upsidedon through and fix the tips with needles.
                  to be sure that all th air goes out or intricate details show up to I first fill half of the very liquid plaster and sway, perhaps even poke in with a spoon, the I fill the mold and set it stable on the table. and then I hammer, fists down on the side of the box for atleast a full minute (yes it is tiring) you will see the bubbles coming up.
                  other suggestion is a air pump, you seal the mold with liquid plaster airproof in a box/container and pump out the air. It will suck out every single bubble, so said by a friend. never did it, but he told me to do so when i had “hairbubbles” on some of my furry molds.
                  Small molds can hold their own weight, but for your size you should make a thick silicone insidemold, cut it and insert it into a plaster second mold (dont let the silikone cuts be on same line as plaster cuts) remember to keep in mind that plaster cant do what rubber does. if it finds a place to “hook” the plaster mold or worse originl will break. Hope this helps, wish i lived closer to help. I dont have professional knowledge but I did quite a few molds to have… all those wonderful mistake experiences…
                  keep us updated πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.