fbpx

Need help with young unicorn horn.. UPDATED 12/31

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Need help with young unicorn horn.. UPDATED 12/31

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Erika
    Participant

I had a young I got off of ebay with this same problem: in the picture the horn was there: arrived, and the horn was broken, but had signs that it had been glued before, so it was a previous break. I eventually got the nub of tang out of his head by dripping acetone into it with an eyedropper, then -very- carefully digging it out with the tip of an exacto knife. It took a few hours of patient side work while I had my full attention on another project. Every ten minutes, wiggle the horn nub out just a little more.

The hole in his head is now perhaps a little bit bigger than it was before, but I’m hoping to perhaps solder it back onto the main horn, file it back down to size, and reglue it in.

Ok, so it took me forever to finally mess with him, but the tang is out, the paint is matched, now what?

edit,

oh ya, and I managed to do this with just a metal point clay tool, no acetone or alcohol was used, so the hole is it’s original size. and without scratching him! 🙂

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
      www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
      Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

siberakh1
      Participant

If it were me, I would:

A) Take the tang and horn to a jeweler (call around for rates and who can do the repair) to reconnect the pieces (if you want to try that route… not the cheapest option, but since you got the tang out with little damage, I thought I would mention it) and glue it in.
        – or –
        B) Skip straight to the glue step and simply use epoxy glue (like E6000 glue – found at Lowe’s, Home Depot, craft stores, possibly Walmart) to connect the horn as is.

To anyone with unicorns with broken tangs, my neighbor and I figured out how to repair/replace broken tangs without damaging the horn. Reprise is completely fixed. If anyone needs help getting a new tang on a horn let me know. We’ve the tools to do it now!

Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

Id be interested to know what you did. I usually use Loctite Gel Glue

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

She has a special super tiny dremel drill that she carefully drilled into the plac where the tang used to be and then set in anther piece of pewter i scored with an expoxy metal glue. I them resined it back to Reprise and it looks good as new. My Neighbor has all sorts of neat crafty gadgets. its a special kind of dremel/drill for working with soft metal and jewelry.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.