fbpx

Need help with young unicorn horn.. UPDATED 12/31

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Need help with young unicorn horn.. UPDATED 12/31

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Ok, so last week I had another seizure and fell into a shelf nocking Reprise, our grab bag young unicorn into my base board heater. He hit horn first, and broke the horn off flat on the head/

I tried Resin, but there is nothing for it to hold onto, and even fastening the horn to the wet resin with a rubber band for two days to be sure the resin cured failed, there was no way to get the stun out either. is there anything I can do? I suppose if he hadn’t hit horn first he would of shatterd, but can i consider this lucky or not?

gosh my hair looks wild today..

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
    www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
    Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

dragonmedley
    Participant

I think you’ll need to drill out some of the glue, then put the horn back in. It does look whole.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Kiya
      Participant

It actually looks like the tang that goes into the head broke off. If you could drill that out, you might be able to put a new horn in, but I’m not sure where you could get one. ๐Ÿ™ John sometimes uses a dental drill to remove broken horns.

You might see if there is some kind of glue that can hold two metal bits together to glue the existing horn back on. I’m not sure what that would be though.

Kiya
        Participant

No idea how well it would work, but this site suggests Miracle Glue and gives instructions for how to repair a break in a pewter piece.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5865823_glue-pewter.html

Ciarnet
          Participant

We use a glue called Insta-cure+ it is made for putting pewter game models together. I’m not sure if you can order it online or not, our local game shop sells it. Amazing stuff. I would be happy to send you a bottle if you can’t find something else that will work.

Actually it pops up all over online turns out!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/167_1625/products_id/37055/n/Bob-Smith-Industries-INSTA-CURE-Gap-Filling-CA-1-2oz?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds&gclid=CMCzye6u47sCFa9cMgod4hEAYA

Ela_Hara
            Participant

Hope you can fix him!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
              Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
              Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
              *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

siberakh1
              Participant

My suggestion would be E6000 glue, but it takes time to dry, so you would still need to find a way to keep it in place while it dries. I agree with Kiya. It looks like the tang broke off and is inside the forehead. If you can drill a little bit out, that would be ideal, but if you can’t, you should be OK without it (it won’t ever be as strong as a solid horn all the way through though).

ya the tang did break, and that was my problem, well I suppose the siezure was the problem first, but anyways, so ya thanks, maybe i’ll get to this soon..maby

Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

littleironhorse
                Participant

It actually looks like the tang that goes into the head broke off. If you could drill that out, you might be able to put a new horn in, but I’m not sure where you could get one. ๐Ÿ™ …

If it comes to that, one option would be to hunt down a cheap white young on ebay, craigslist or wherever you can find one and take out its horn to replace yours.

Kiya
                  Participant

It actually looks like the tang that goes into the head broke off. If you could drill that out, you might be able to put a new horn in, but I’m not sure where you could get one. ๐Ÿ™ …

If it comes to that, one option would be to hunt down a cheap white young on ebay, craigslist or wherever you can find one and take out its horn to replace yours.

I thought of that, but I’ve been told the only way to get a horn out whole is basically to bust the head. ๐Ÿ™‚ I felt bad suggesting it! lol

fatalbeauty
                    Participant

if you prop it up with boxes or the like underneath the horn at the right height while the glue dries, it should be fine, I repaired a male that broke his horn off and looked just like your’s…

4 things I'm looking for:
                      1. Mother Meerkat
                      2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                      3. Female Griffin โ€“ Siamese with White
                      4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Kim
                      Blocked

I had to glue a metal leg on a table and a metal lamp that broke when moving and I used epoxy glue that has two parts you mix together as it’s really good for gluing metal. If there is still a part in the head you could just put the glue in the hole and put in the horn and put an elastic around it to hold it. It takes a few minutes to get tacky and about 24 hours to cure. I would say the horn breaking was probably a lucky thing that saved the rest of the unicorn as if you fix the horn you might not be able to tell anything ever happened. Good luck with it and I hope you get better and that they find ways to help your seizures.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

if you prop it up with boxes or the like underneath the horn at the right height while the glue dries, it should be fine, I repaired a male that broke his horn off and looked just like your’s…

I already tried fastening with a rubber, took me a few minutes to figure the perfect position thouhg, so I have that figured, it just trying to get it attached. I won’t be doing it till later anyways, as I’m not doing a whole lot of anything latly..:/ Thanks for the tips every one, I’ll let ya know when I eventually get around to it..

I had to glue a metal leg on a table and a metal lamp that broke when moving and I used epoxy glue that has two parts you mix together as it’s really good for gluing metal. If there is still a part in the head you could just put the glue in the hole and put in the horn and put an elastic around it to hold it. It takes a few minutes to get tacky and about 24 hours to cure. I would say the horn breaking was probably a lucky thing that saved the rest of the unicorn as if you fix the horn you might not be able to tell anything ever happened. Good luck with it and I hope you get better and that they find ways to help your seizures.

Ya that’s what I used, Epoxy resin, There just wasn’t enough room in the hole for it to be able to grab a hold of the horn. it’s pretty flat.

Setsunawolf
                        Participant

My roommate paints minis, they are basically peweter statues, but when she has to attach arms and cloaks and things she will pin them together. You might try drilling a hole in the pewter tang and a matching hole in the horn, putting in a pin like a plastic toothpick, trimmed down of course, the use the epoxy. The pin provides extra support and the base and horn could grap onto it. You might also check w/Drag0nfeathers. She fixed my young w/ horn rot .

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                          Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.