fbpx

Need help with my Male Unicorn

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Need help with my Male Unicorn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Angelika_Zen
    Participant

I bought a male unicorn that was SUPPOSED to be “used with no flaws, breaks, chips,etc) and it looks like the horn was broken once upon a time and never repaired properly…i wiggled it gently and it’s in there good! But it’s sticking out with a gap at the base, and it hurts my eyes…can anyone give me some direction on how to go about having this repaired? That will teach me for not asking for more pictures : (

Thank you

A deflated uni lover

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Angelika_Zen
      Participant

I bought a male unicorn that was SUPPOSED to be “used with no flaws, breaks, chips,etc) and it looks like the horn was broken once upon a time and never repaired properly…i wiggled it gently and it’s in there good! But it’s sticking out with a gap at the base, and it hurts my eyes…can anyone give me some direction on how to go about having this repaired? That will teach me for not asking for more pictures : (

Thank you

A deflated uni lover

Update: I was wrong. The horn is loose…and will probably come out quite easily…I don’t have the abilities to fix it myself so I don’t want to pull it out…so this is where I’m at now.

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

I can fix that, not sure if you want to send him away though or not for that. Repair cost wouldn’t be a lot, but with shipping both ways, you might not want to do that. I could walk you through fixing it yourself, if you want to try that.

Kyrin

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

The big thing is to not try and bend it or twist it. The horns have square anchors and are made of pewter so on one hand you can easily break the anchor for the horn off or break the gypsum.

The easiest thing to do is to pull it straight out HOWEVER it is possible to still break the gypsum or the horn doing this. I would get a small paint brush and some nail polish remover and just drip one little drop into the gap and let it sit for a little while so the glue softens and VERY SLOWLY, PATIENTLY, and CAREFULLY see if it will pull out. Repeat the dropping if necessary, but be careful that you can harm the paint as well so you have to be very careful!

It’s tedious work, but once the horn is out, you can let the hole the horn goes in dry from the nail polish remover and then use a small sculpting tool, tweezers, or a needle perhaps and pull out the excess glue and if needed, maybe even scrape out some raw gypsum so the horn will sit back in flush.

Once you have it the way you want re-glue it in. This is how I have fixed this with Unis I have repaired.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Angelika_Zen
          Participant

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. So what I’ve done so far, is pulled the horn out and got the glue out as best I can…after I pulled the horn out, I noticed a chip in his forehead where the horn meets it…I’ll wait till I can get some pointed tweezers before softening the glue with nail polish…I will let you know if I hit any snags. Thanks again.

Christine
            Participant

Best of luck! As far as repairs go, horn pulls are not so bad. Just go realy, really, reallyreallyreally slowly! Every time I have had a horn pull go no-perfectly, it was because I was too dang impatient. 😉

I absolutely swear by Beacon 527 Multi-Use glue for repairs, especially for re-gluing horns. (You can get it at most any craft store.) Other people also use plain ol’ white glue or super glue, they work well too. I like Beacon best though!

Angelika_Zen
              Participant

Update

So I’m right down to the very bottom. The horn sits ALMOST flush with his forhead and there’s a tiny spot of pewter that is held there with the original glue. I can’t get at it. More nail polish and let it sit for a bit??? I’m nervous with the nail polish..

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

As long as you keep the nail polish remover AWAY from the painted area where the base of the horn will sit, you should be all good.

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.