Need Advice With Damaged Lap Dragon

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Need Advice With Damaged Lap Dragon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    pony-up
    Participant

Hey everyone, I bought this gorgeous lap dragon on ebay and the seller didn’t pack her well enough and she is now minus a hind foot on her non-display side. I told the seller I would be willing to keep her if he would refund a portion of my purchase price, which was $190. He offered me $25 and I told him that was not acceptable, but he seems to feel that since it’s “just a foot” that much more than that is too much. Any thoughts on what would be a fair price/refund? I hate to just send her back since she really has great color and is otherwise perfect, and she is also my very first lap dragon. Right click the pic to view full size.

briteblades
      Participant

Aw, poor thing! 🙁
        I would get quotes from the lovely people on the forums who do repairs, and send him an e-mail with how much they would charge to fix it.

scenceable
        Participant

I think the issue here is how much is a damaged lap dragon worth? $165? No. Damage really diminishes the value of windstones, even with a repair done. The seller didn’t pack it right. If they refuse to give you a decent refund you should just return it for the full value back.

I’d say at least $50, if not $75 back. Hopefully others will have a better estimate. It sucks that this happened! I hope you get it worked out 🙂

Syn
          Participant

I think the issue here is how much is a damaged lap dragon worth? $165? No. Damage really diminishes the value of windstones, even with a repair done. The seller didn’t pack it right. If they refuse to give you a decent refund you should just return it for the full value back.

I’d say at least $50, if not $75 back. Hopefully others will have a better estimate. It sucks that this happened! I hope you get it worked out 🙂

You also have to figure shipping costs both ways to have him repaired. The $25 refund might cover that if the person doing the repair isn’t too far away, but then you still have to pay for the repair.

Peacock Laps come along quite often; I would get a full refund and wait for another one.

Wampus Dragon
            Participant

Get a full refund. Especially for one that wasnt packed correctly to begin with.

dragonmedley
              Participant

I’d say 165$ is a bit pricey for a damaged sculpt. Seeing as the rest is in great condition and the broken part can be hidden, maybe 150$? It’s very subjective. The thing is, when a piece is broken in transit, it’s always harder to get the right price.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

$25 is a joke. Personally I’d probably charge $45 – $50 to fix that because it’s not a clean break it would take a while to fix becae of that. PLUS shipping costs. I’d jst get a full refund to be honest. Unless they guy wants to give you like $75 bucks back. I would NOT take less then that!

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Christine
                  Participant

Yah yah–I would send him back and start over. It’s discouraging, but not so bad–Peacock Laps are common enough that you should be able to get a very nice one for $190, and sooner rather than later also.

I mean shoot, I got a mint-with-tag Em. Pea Lap for $175 less than 6 months ago. You paid for a mint dragon, you should get a mint dragon for that price.

Sucks to go back to square one, but you’ll be able to find another Peacock Lap. And the seller will feel the ‘lesson’ in this much better: Pack your Windstones correctly!

pony-up
                    Participant

Thanks guys, I haven’t even heard back from the guy since yesterday morning so I’m really leaning toward just sending her back, much as I hate the hassle of packing and shipping. I’m betting the guy is going to argue over paying return shipping too 🙁

Christine
                      Participant

Ebay or Paypal should be able to make it happen if your seller ghosts on you. Look up their “item damaged during transit/not as described” policy and go by the procedures outlined there. Even if the auction stated No Returns, if it arrives broken you can return it.

If it wasn’t packed properly, UPS/USPS won’t honor an insurance claim so I’d start with ebay.

Did you take pictures of the bad packing job? How small the box was in relation to the dragon, whether it was double-boxed or not, how much bubble was used, etc. Those kinds of photos are especially helpful.

Did you ask the seller beforehand if he would be double-boxed? Any correspondence from before the purchase, that proves you asked him to pack properly, will also help.

Sellers do NOT want negative feedback and will be willing to work with you to not have that happen. Especially if he’s already left positive feedback for you–he can’t ‘retaliate’ and leave negative feedback on you.

Be firm on what you’re asking for, but give him the benefit of the doubt and be kind. Even if all signs point to them being lazy/careless. It goes a long way with sellers when it comes to making a good compromise or getting a refund.

Best of luck.

WolfenMachine
                        Participant

And too add to what Chris said, if you are even thinking of going through UPS/USPS to get reimbursed, they ask if the seller packed it or if they packed it. They figure if they packed it, “there’s no possible way it could get broken” so if it does, they’ll reimburse you. If the seller packed it and it got broken “Then OBVIOUSLY it wasn’t packaged right. Its not OUR fault it broke when we dropped it” *rolls eyes*

Also, if you’re even thinking about filing an insurance claim, but nice to the seller. As a buyer, UPS wont give a flying flip about the recipent. They will only communicate with the shipper. They will not even tell you if they paid the claim or not-so the seller COULD say “Yeah, UPS didn’t pay the claim” when in reality, they did and the seller pocketed the money. And by that time, your window to file a claim with ebay or paypal will have likely closed.

scenceable
                          Participant

And too add to what Chris said, if you are even thinking of going through UPS/USPS to get reimbursed, they ask if the seller packed it or if they packed it. They figure if they packed it, “there’s no possible way it could get broken” so if it does, they’ll reimburse you. If the seller packed it and it got broken “Then OBVIOUSLY it wasn’t packaged right. Its not OUR fault it broke when we dropped it” *rolls eyes*

Recently I had UPS repack something I brought in packed but they did a horrible job (one of my sculptures just thrown in a single box with one layer of bubble and packing peanuts) and they are being SOO reluctant in giving me my money back. So for sure, if they’re even refusing to reimburse on something they packed themselves, well you can imagine how hard it would be for something like this.

Also, if you’re even thinking about filing an insurance claim, but nice to the seller. As a buyer, UPS wont give a flying flip about the recipent. They will only communicate with the shipper. They will not even tell you if they paid the claim or not-so the seller COULD say “Yeah, UPS didn’t pay the claim” when in reality, they did and the seller pocketed the money. And by that time, your window to file a claim with ebay or paypal will have likely closed.

I think in general from a buyer’s point of view, the insurance claim is largely the sellers problem for just this reason. If they packed it poorly but want to blame the postal system, then they can file a claim and go through the hassle of proving it. It’s not really on the buyer at all. The seller should get the item back and do a refund, and then try and get the money back from the postal system after or whenever. The buyer shouldn’t have to wait for the seller to be reimbursed. I mean, it depends who the seller is. If it’s a forum member or whatever I’d be more trusting, but not with ebay sellers.

This is what happened to my EBAY item that came today:

has anyone purchased from this seller? Seller info
                            birdsnest1956 ( 646)

I am about to contact them, and proceed with the filing.
                            98.2% Positive feedback

Lupuslunae
                            Participant

Wow, that mother dragon is terrible, so sorry your dragon died in route :((
                              I’ve never heard of that seller.

Well…I guess it is one to watch for. It looks to me as if the seller just finds things and re-sells them on ebay, because if you look at the sellers other listings, it is just random items. I doubt they even had a clue about Windstones and packing them.

I intend to be courteous in hopes of a full refund.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.