fbpx

Mysterious ceramic-like "crazing" again

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Mysterious ceramic-like "crazing" again

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hey,

Have any of you Windstone folks got any closer to the answer on the ceramic-like “crazing” that can occur on some Windstones? I want to sell my crouching griffin chick so I can get a brown one instead, but upon inspection over his own right “brow” he has those mysterious hairline cracks. I can’t get a picture right now because the weather is HORRIBLE hear and I always depend on lighting to get good photos…maybe I can try with my full-spectrum light, but I’m just curious if you know anything more about this “phenomenon,” since you say Windstones shouldn’t do that.

And just in the small, tiny case it MAY matter, the place in my room the griffins are don’t get direct sunlight; although they are near a lava lamp. XD But it’s side of the face facing away from the lava lamp that has the “crazing”. The other side is fine, and the mother griffin, which is even closer to the lava lamp, has no such marks at all.

Anybody got any ideas about this stuff?

Jennifer
    Keymaster

The young oriental I sent to Arlla had this too. I don’t know what causes it… it’s something to do with the finish.

We asked about it here:
      http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2227

Where we thought that years of humidity caused it. However your chick is not years old to have had exposure to humidity, has it?? o_o ?

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Melody
      Keymaster

rockerbot wrote:

Hey,

Have any of you Windstone folks got any closer to the answer on the ceramic-like “crazing” that can occur on some Windstones? I want to sell my crouching griffin chick so I can get a brown one instead, but upon inspection over his own right “brow” he has those mysterious hairline cracks. I can’t get a picture right now because the weather is HORRIBLE hear and I always depend on lighting to get good photos…maybe I can try with my full-spectrum light, but I’m just curious if you know anything more about this “phenomenon,” since you say Windstones shouldn’t do that.

And just in the small, tiny case it MAY matter, the place in my room the griffins are don’t get direct sunlight; although they are near a lava lamp. XD But it’s side of the face facing away from the lava lamp that has the “crazing”. The other side is fine, and the mother griffin, which is even closer to the lava lamp, has no such marks at all.

Anybody got any ideas about this stuff?Argh. I have NO idea why the finish would do that. It is random, and when the crackle appears, often it only does that on one small area of the piece. I really can’t figure out how our paint could do that, because it isn’t a rigid coating that can crack. The finish is bendable when it is dry, like gummy plastic. You may notice this bendy film when a little chip breaks off and is held on by a flexible “hinge” of paint.

I really don’t think a lava lamp could hurt them.

pipsxlch
        Participant

Sort of random, but Lord knows that after 22 years in Florida my original 3 have had exposure to enough humidity to fill a pool, and they don’t have crazing in their finish. Is the finish essentially the same one through the years?
          (it’s humid enough here to have problems with black mold on the walls sometimes)

Starbreeze
          Participant

Florida humidity hasn’t bothered mine either. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.