fbpx

My "New" Baby–NEW INFO

Home Forums Miscellany Community My "New" Baby–NEW INFO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

Thought I’d share a picture of my ‘new’ baby. She is an Amazon parrot I sponsored at The Oasis Bird Sanctuary in Arizona. She may not be a conventional beauty but I think she’s beautiful in her own way. I love her eyes–shining and full of hope. I’ll know more about her when I get my packet on her–but just had to share.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This sanctuary is currently taking care of around 700 birds. If you visit their site http://the-oasis.org/ be patient. They use some sort of freeware and when they update one thing something else breaks down. They didn’t realize that I sponsored this bird until I called them and they found the Paypal payment.

The lady I spoke with was very sweet and she said they use freeware in order to get the most of the donations they receive. They want as much possible to go for the care of the birds.

Check it out if you want. Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to add: her name is Angel LCA

rock-reader
      Participant

More power to you, Lady Firebird. Angel is beautiful and deserves only the best.

twindragonsmum
        Participant

More power to you, Lady Firebird. Angel is beautiful and deserves only the best.

…which she will get from you! She is lovely and I’m glad you have found a new companion 😀 Congrats!

tdm

tdm

Falcolf
          Participant

Awesome! From one animal lover to another, thank you for helping this dear bird! <3

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Kim
            Blocked

She’s so sweet! I love parrots!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Lokie
              Participant

Such a sweet face! I’m glad she has you as a sponsor =)

Scathach
                Participant

Do you actually get her? Or are you one of many sponsors?

I adopt two raptors every year from the Mountsberg Raptor Centre in Ontario and I get to visit them whenever I want (when the centre is open, obviously).

Life is beautiful.

LadyFirebird
                  Participant

Do you actually get her? Or are you one of many sponsors?

I adopt two raptors every year from the Mountsberg Raptor Centre in Ontario and I get to visit them whenever I want (when the centre is open, obviously).

Yes, I ‘get’ her and I’ll be her only sponsor until I tell them otherwise. The Oasis asks for at least a year’s commitment, but I can be Angel’s sponsor for as long as I want. If I were to go down to The Oasis, I could visit her. I could also send special treats, toys for her as well.

Also, a person could sponsor more than one bird–if they could afford to. Sponsorship runs from about $20 to $65 a month depending on the size of bird and is paid monthly or yearly. Also, birds could be sponsored as a pair, if they have a mate–again, by only one person or family. It’s a nice thought that the bird is your ‘special’ bird. You get a picture of your sponsored bird and updates each year. I hope to be Angel’s sponsor for many years to come.

Scathach
                    Participant

That’s great. I have to share mine, but I don’t know with how many people. It’s a goid way to raise funds and awareness.

Life is beautiful.

darjeb
                      Participant

She is a beauty and lucky to have you

Chloe
                        Participant

What a wonderful thing you are doing! Parrots are wonderful creatures. When I was a teenager I feel in love with a blue conure that was just amazing.

Congratulations on your new baby! Can’t wait to see her once she gets her feathers. 🙂

briteblades
                          Participant

What an amazing thing to do! She looks like a red lored amazon, from what I can tell from her head plumage. I rescued one a few years ago and she is FEISTY but I adore her!
                            Wonderful birds and I’m sure she will come along nicely!

Kim
                            Blocked

I used to own an African Grey but after about 10 years, we had to move around a lot renting places around after we unfortunately went through a foreclosure and I had to find him another home. He was a feather picker too though as he got stressed when we had to move and we lived in an area with construction. Now he is doing well in his new home with other parrot friends and the lady who adopted him said he finally stopped picking his feathers after a couple years! I miss him but I could never have another parrot as he was so unhappy when we had to put him in his cage. I think birds should be free to fly around at least in an aviary, sanctuary or somewhere bigger than a cage. At least this bird probably has a good home in the sanctuary!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

LadyFirebird
                              Participant

UPDATE: I did get more information on Angel–here is the picture they sent me:

Like the picture says, she is a Lilac Crown Amazon and here is a picture of what one looks like fully feathered:

She came to The Oasis in 2007 because the elderly woman who owned her for decades could no longer care for her. She was hatched in 1962 so she’s a little over 50 years old!

She came to the sanctuary fully feathered and I’m going to guess that the stress of being moved from a home she had for over 40 years and no longer seeing her owner could have caused these feathers to fall out. I do not know if they’ll grow back again. But she is doing fine and the sanctuary tells me that she has settled in and even has a boyfriend–a White Front Amazon named Chaco. Here’s his picture:

You can send ‘care’ packages for your sponsored bird since the sanctuary does not have a budget for toys–needs come first. I plan to do this for Angel around Christmas–hope to have a little more money then.

I’m told she is a very sweet bird–some friends of mine have commented that you can tell she is sweet by looking at her eyes. I do hope to be sponsoring this bird for many years to come.

Thanks for your comments! 🙂

moonbeam
                                Participant

There are so many people who get parrots without thinking about how old they can get. So many of them end up in shelters. But I´m glad there are places like this sanctuary where they are looked after.
                                  And how good for Angel to get you as a sponsor and find a boyfriend, too 🙂 That will surely help her settle in and become happy once again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.